[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Major templates & contact problem

Major templates & contact problem

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Major templates & contact problem

Postby mezzers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:12 am

Hi all, I've been using templates with contact groups literally for years and have just discovered a major problem. I'm not sure how long it's been around.

Modifications to contact groups are not updated in templates.

iow, if you have a contact group with over a hundred people in it (as I have), and the way you send that group emails is always through a template (i.e. you've saved the contact group name in the recipient field of the template), any changes you later make to the addresses in that group, including additions and deletions, are NOT updated in the template.

I would imagine it fails the same way when modifying a single contact added to a template, although I haven't tested this.

This is a serious flaw. We should not have to edit our templates and reattach a contact list every time a change is made within that list.

Has anyone else come across this?
mezzers
Poco Tourist

Postby FFF » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:10 am

Yes - it is so, at least since PM 3 or so... a PITA.
BTW, do you really put your group name in the recipient field of the template? If so, do yourself and your group a favour and move it to BCC - should reduce the spam somewhat ;-)

Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Postby mezzers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:55 pm

I do have the group name in the BCC, but your point is a good one for others using email lists.

Too bad the people who've been joining and leaving my list for some time haven't had their requests honored thanks to this very stupid problem in PocoMail.

Thanks for verifying the error. I guess it's time to send support a big ol' bug report.
mezzers
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:48 am

Strictly technically speaking it's not a bug but a missing functionality.

Pocomail doesn't add group information anywhere - it adds email addresses contained in the group.

I have added it to the features requests. It would be nice improvement to have indeed!

For the time being I'd suggest to use send_to_all_address_book script, it can be found in Extras area of the website, Scripts section. (Though it doesn't work with Group but with whole address book.)

It's even a better way of using sending mail to a group instead of BCC. Sending in BCC will often increase spam points for the message thus decrease the chances that it will make it through the spam filters to the recipient.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby mezzers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks for your reply and for adding this to the features requests, Tomas.

I've been using PocoMail for probably 10 years now, and email for nearly double that. This missing functionality is intuitive and expected. That's why I'm very surprised - and angry, and embarrassed - to find it's not there.

I've downloaded the suggested script, but have to point out that I run this list as a blind email list specifically because my subscribers like that no one else (but me, obviously) knows if they choose to participate in events.

If I create a separate, new address book for my list and add it to the BCC in place of the group, will that overcome the problem?
mezzers
Poco Tourist

Postby MarkB » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:44 am

Hi, Mez. Here's something for you to try if you wish. Open the template in a text editor. Delete the 100 addresses. Replace them with the name of the group. Save the file.

In XP, templates are in the program folder. In Vista, they will be in AppData/Roaming.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby mezzers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:53 am

Hi, Mark. I opened the template in Notepad. What shows up is %bcc%:cablist (cablist being the name of the group under the address book called cab), not a list of addresses. So basically it's already set up the way you're suggesting.

Also, I tried moving a few of the addresses to the address book cab and adding that to the BCC instead, but it won't take the address book name. It wants me to select the addresses in the book manually, which is what I'm trying to avoid doing.

I'm now going to look at using a script to ask for the BCC each time the template is opened. I'll update here with the results.
mezzers
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks MarkB for filling me in! I have missed this. I'll research more into it and will post later on.

but have to point out that I run this list as a blind email list specifically because my subscribers like that no one else (but me, obviously) knows if they choose to participate in events

Script creates one dedicated message for each recipient. So that nobody knows who else is receiving messages.
Disadvantage is you'll end up with many messages in sent folder, advantage is that it might increase the delivery ratio as less messages shall end up in spam folders.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby mezzers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Thanks, Tomas. I tried the script and can see the advantages to it. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to recognize the group name. Does it only work with top level address book names?

I suppose I really should ask about this in the PocoScript forum....
mezzers
Poco Tourist

Postby FFF » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:43 am

Tomas wrote:Script creates one dedicated message for each recipient. So that nobody knows who else is receiving messages.
Disadvantage is you'll end up with many messages in sent folder,

And not to mention, if you have to send a message with, say, attached pictures, the upload time and system strain multipies.

E.g., the OP, 100 addresses * (500byte text + 1,5MB pic) -> verrry long waiting...

Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To