[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Has anyone heard anything?

Has anyone heard anything?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Has anyone heard anything?

Postby Larry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Has there been any information announced about the next version? I haven't seen or heard of anything and frankly it's making me a little nervous that PM is no longer going to be supported or developed.

Please tell me I'm wrong! It's been my experience that when there have been long periods of silence, that's a bad sign.

Larry
Larry
Resident Poster

Postby greener » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:22 am

I do not post here often but as I use Barca everyday, I check the board for signs of update.
So far only Eric and Thomas have been doing great support, but nothing else is happening.
Recently, I have discovered a program that most likely is going to replace my Barca. It is not the same but the project has been very active for last couple years as I checked its support message board.

I hope I am wrong but...
greener
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:37 am

I agree it's been really quiet around, but that doesn't mean development has been stopped.
It happened before and all of a sudden a new beta appears. :)

Remember Poco Systems isn't a big company, so I suppose Slaven & team are working on the problems which were posted here or reported through Support.

I too tried other email clients, but I keep returning to Barca Pro.
I don't think any other would ever replace it, since I like working with it. :lol:

If you found another one who fits your needs then that's your choice.

Until PSI reports about what they have in store, there isn't much more I can add.
In December 2009 I did have contact with Slaven, so that does mean something, I think.

So I'll leave it to PSI to respond to your concerns about the future development. ;)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:06 pm

There were never any announcements being made for Pocomail plans in the past. I'd say the development continues at the same pace as in past few years. I'm sure if Slaven decided to stop development he'd announce it instantly...there is no reason for hiding such information from users.
From the correspondence I had with him in the past few months, I understand that Pocomail will continue being supported and developed, no sign of the opposite.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby saratojo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:06 am

What's with Poco being part of Rosecity Software now?
I have had horrible experiences with Rosecity.

I may be looking for an email replacement.
Cheers!
saratojo
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:35 am

saratojo wrote:What's with Poco being part of Rosecity Software now?
See Rose City? for more information on the matter.

It's also your own topic. :)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:58 pm

Rose City Software is a company completely independent from Poco Systems.

There is certain type of business cooperation between Rose City Software and Poco Systems, something along the lines that Pocomail is offered as a possible upgrade to former Courier and Calypso users.
They are offering Pocomail on their website from that title and due to being affiliate (anyone can become an affiliate btw.).

From the business point of view I think I can say we are having the best possible experience with them, they are really dedicated to their products and users as far as I can tell.
For the record I was never their customer personally (if memory serves me).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby compositor1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Pocomail is awesome, but lately it's starting to become unreliable, eg unresponsive system tray icon, also I feel new features need to be added such as being able to open in a minimized state.
compositor1
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Edit the properties for the short cut that you use to start Pocomail.

In the options called Run:, choose Minimized from the drip down box.

Save the changes.
robin

Postby compositor1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:58 pm

robin wrote:In the options called Run:, choose Minimized from the drip down box.

Save the changes.

thanks but no option in Poco, maybe a future version might have what I'm after since it does quite a decent job of it (the system tray) but could do more I feel.
compositor1
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:53 am

compositor1 wrote:thanks but no option in Poco
It's not in Poco, but instead in Windows.
Select the icon of Poco > Properties > Short Cuts.
As Robin mentionned you can chose through the dropdown menu how Poco has to start up. :)
Eric

Postby compositor1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Sorry I am using PocoMail portably via PA.c menu
compositor1
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:08 am

compositor1 wrote:Sorry I am using PocoMail portably via PA.c menu
Could you clarify what you mean by that :?:
Eric

Postby robin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:13 am

My understanding is that (he) is using it by running the exe file, not from a shortcut therefore any properties set on a shortcut won't take effect.
robin

Postby blakelyg » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:26 pm

Tomas wrote:There were never any announcements being made for Pocomail plans in the past. I'd say the development continues at the same pace as in past few years. I'm sure if Slaven decided to stop development he'd announce it instantly...there is no reason for hiding such information from users.
From the correspondence I had with him in the past few months, I understand that Pocomail will continue being supported and developed, no sign of the opposite.

That is great news Tomas. My question is simple. There are numerous issues with Poco/Barca etc. when using Vista or Windows 7 (not functionality but mainly display issues etc). I am assuming that none of this issues (see the forum for many of these issues and "work around") will be resolved until a new version of Poco/Barca will be released and also many of the more technical issues will also not be resolved until the new version. This in effect means that support for the current version (unless something major occurs) has ceased. It is my opinion (having been involved in software deployment), that there is usually a plan - so to speak. Personally I feel such a plan should be made public (at least at a high level not the full SDLC). Even a target date - yes they do change often - means that users can see that there is development going on and also that many of the issues that currently exist will be resolved. Again this is just my opinion, but from a semi- informed position with other projects I have worked on.
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion