[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - IMAP: copy sent-mail to a folder on the server

IMAP: copy sent-mail to a folder on the server

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

IMAP: copy sent-mail to a folder on the server

Postby smilingpocouser » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:42 am

Hello,

I again ask the underneath asked in a different thread. It is the only thing preventing me from complete and consistent usage of Pocomail:
Mekkinz wrote:Sent Mail - it's pretty standard in IMAP clients for, as well as the mail being sent to whoever, for it to be copied to the Sent Folder on the IMAP server. Can't see how that is set up, either. [asked by Mekkinz, Mon Oct 24, 2005, in thread 36138]

He received the following answer from Robin, Moderator:

robin wrote:I can certainly answer this one, although it may not be the answer you want to hear: in the current release of PM4, sent mail is not automatically routed to the IMAP sent mail folder, only to the local one; although there are work-arounds. This is a requested feature that didn't make it into the production release, although it is high on the feature list for the next point upgrade I understand.

Workarounds:
1. drag from the local folder and drop into the "Sent" folder on the server (I understand that this works)
2. bcc outgoing messages to yourself, use the filters on the IMAP server to send them to the sent folder

My Question now relates to Workaround 2. I have tried Workaround 1, and with the number of accounts I have and the frequency I use them, Workaround 1 is too painful for words. Easy to drag to the wrong folder, e.g.

So ... how am I supposed to set up a filtering system directly upon my IMAP server to achieve this? What file do I look for, how do I access it, what do I write within that file? As far as I can see, the server is using qmail for IMAP. The webmail way of accessing mail is with Horde, but I generally use a client.

[minorirritation on]I can only afford a 'self-managed' server, so my ISP is unlikely to do this for me unless I pay a substantial amount of moolah. I would rather try to do this myself first, and believe that it must be possible. I also sincerely hope that Pocomail is in fact incorporating this feature into the next release as it is the sole thing preventing me from exclusive usage of Pocomail. At present, I only use it for my POP accounts, and use an alternative for IMAP. This is a pain. I was very surprised indeed when 4 came out and it still did not incorporate this feature, and it has not been included in any update since. Thank you.[/minorirritation off]
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Postby smilingpocouser » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:38 am

It's OK.
As soon as I posted my message and had some sleep, I figured it out.
Thanks.
Sorry for wasting your time.
Smiling Poco User
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Postby smilingpocouser » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 am

Actually ... I retract the above.
My proposed remedy is not working.

Sorry for confusion. I would still like some help on this.
Thanks.
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Hopefully there is some Unix guru here, I have no detailed knowledge of server administration thus can only offer a general hint where to look:
you shall either install some webmail interface for the qmail where I believe (but can't say for sure, when it comes to IMAP) it might be possible to setup email filtering rules comfortably.
Second way is what technical types prefer, make your own filtering scripts (quick search returned for example this link http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/filter.html for an idea, but I'm sure there will be better resources)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby smilingpocouser » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Tomas wrote:you shall either install some webmail interface for the qmail where I believe (but can't say for sure, when it comes to IMAP) it might be possible to setup email filtering rules comfortably.

That was what I initially tried, and that I thought was going to work but did not.

Tomas wrote:Second way is what technical types prefer

I shall either hope that there is some Unix saviour present here, or just keep googling until I find a non-opaque procedure for simpletons.

Thank you very much for your kindness.
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Postby aderoy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:25 am

What I do (works on Fastmail IMAP servers)

bcc myimapaccount+sent@fastmail.fm

myimapaccount = userid for Fastmail

They and other IMAP server may allow for your Username + the target folder, so by using the bcc I have the maikl automatically stored on the IMAP server and local sent folder.

Not the best, wish proper IMAP support was available.

Also - Mercury/32 is a freeware mailserver that works on a lowend machine (Win2k 256mb ram and 20GB hd or better), can run on the same machine used for Poco
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Postby smilingpocouser » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:38 am

Hi,
Thanks, I will try this and let you know.
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Postby smilingpocouser » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:34 am

I have tried everything and nothing is working.

I first asked about this feature back in 2005.
I am not the only one to have asked about it, as the threads show.

I think 5 years is very patient. I think that five yearfs is more than enough time to wait for a feature like this ... and that even Thunderbird which is free incorporated that long ago ... never find paid for programmes such as The Bat.

I am off, now, to use eM Client. That meets my needs on every other front. It does not have PocoScript, but it does everything I want, including some of the things that I was using PocoScript for.

Thanks very much indeed to everyone who tried to help me on this.
Bye now.
smilingpocouser
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To