[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Import confusion

Import confusion

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Import confusion

Postby tonyroder » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:00 am

I have a dual-boot PC: one partition for XP and one for Windows 7.

XP uses Tbird, and after being disappointed by shortcomings in the installations of Live Mail and the new Tbird on W7, I've installed Poco on W7.

I want to import as much as I can from Tbird to Poco.

I somehow managed to create on the XP partition a Owner/Application Data/Pocomail folder that contains, among other folders, a Mail folder with the Tbird .mbx .dat and .idb files.

I need some handholding to rectify this fumble, and some guidance as to exactly what to specify in steps 2 and 3 of the Import Wizard.

Holding my breath in the expectation of useful advice.
tonyroder
New Arrival

Re: Import confusion

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:39 am

Hi tonyroder & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
tonyroder wrote:I want to import as much as I can from Tbird to Poco.
Perhaps this can help you somehow: importing from mozilla thunderbird.
I somehow managed to create on the XP partition a Owner/Application Data/Pocomail folder that contains, among other folders, a Mail folder with the Tbird .mbx .dat and .idb files.
If it contains an *.mbx file, it will be reindexed when starting Poco.
Also make sure that idb file is deleted, since new one will be created.
I need some handholding to rectify this fumble, and some guidance as to exactly what to specify in steps 2 and 3 of the Import Wizard.
Don't know about the wizard, sorry.
I'm sure you'll find several topics on this forum when using the Search.

As maybe you've already discovered, Poco or Barca isn't yet fully compatible with Win 7. Those little bugs will surely be adressed in a new version.

Hope that helps you get started. ;)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:55 am

I'm not quite sure about step no 2 and 3, on a quick check step no. 2 only allows to select or unselect importing of emails thus it's a bit of redundant step in case of Thunderbird import, step 3 is clicking the Import button. They are usually prefilled so there is no need to change those settings.

If you proceeded with Thunderbird import and nothing shows up in Pocomail, try to close Pocomail, start it again, if nothing still shows up select from menu Folder > Compress All Folders.

If that will not help either, you'll have to import the data manually:

Thunderbird mailbox files are compatible with Pocomail.
In TB, select from menu Tools > Account settings, go to Local folders, and take a note of the path to Local directory.
Make sure Pocomail is not running.
In your favorite file manager, navigate to that directory (path), and copy all the files you see there, including folders and subfolders, to Mail directory which is located under your Pocomail installation (the path Owner/Application Data/Pocomail you mentioned).

Now go to the Mail directory in Pocomail installation, delete all the files with extension .msf and rename all the files that have no extension, so that they now have an .mbx extension.
Start Pocomail and from menu choose Folder > Compress All Folders.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To