[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Has anyone heard anything?

Has anyone heard anything?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:49 am

This in effect means that support for the current version (unless something major occurs) has ceased.

It's possible there will be an update to Pocomail 4/Barca 2.

It is my opinion (having been involved in software deployment), that there is usually a plan - so to speak. Personally I feel such a plan should be made public (at least at a high level not the full SDLC). Even a target date - yes they do change often - means that users can see that there is development going on and also that many of the issues that currently exist will be resolved. Again this is just my opinion, but from a semi- informed position with other projects I have worked on.

I agree with you, it would be very nice, I as a user would appreciate that as well. (Still as a user of numerous other applications I can say authors of most of those that I use don't make such data public, at least not the details. There are some exceptions - bright stars, the only one that comes to mind right now - of those that I use - is however an application where development is easily predictable - unlike Pocomail particularly with this large upcoming change).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby darrellb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:00 pm

You might want to ask him on twitter at http://twitter.com/slaven as he seems to be active there.
darrellb
Poco Tourist

Postby Flashfox » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 pm

As a FYI, I asked Slaven if BARCA and PM were dead and here was his answer via Twitter:

"of course! Version 5 is under development... ".

Too bad he doesn't post this over here ;-(

(note: edited for clarity as asked Slaven if there was still work being done on Barca and PM)
Last edited by Flashfox on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flashfox

Postby Tomas » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 am

I'm trying to say the same all the time but it seems I don't have enough of an authority (of course!) or I'm using wrong words :)

Slaven is pretty busy that's why he seldom posts on the forums nowadays (that's not completely bad as it also means more time for development).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Flashfox » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:16 am

Just got this response from Slaven on Twitter regarding PM and Barca development:

"It's slow going so we don't have timelines yet but it is progressing well"

Just thought it would be worth sharing as we do not hear a lot over here. By the way, he is very active on Twitter... but not here :-(
Flashfox

Postby blakelyg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:33 am

Tomas wrote:I'm trying to say the same all the time but it seems I don't have enough of an authority (of course!) or I'm using wrong words :)

Slaven is pretty busy that's why he seldom posts on the forums nowadays (that's not completely bad as it also means more time for development).

Based on the posts contained in this thread can anyone tell me if Poco/Barca/Barca Pro were purchased in the next week or so would that allow for a free upgrade to version 5.x?

Based on the comments there will be no further 4.x (Poco) or 2.x Barca, so all issues etc will go unresolved until next version and from the sounds of things maybe Barca will have new versioning to bring it in line with Pocomail?

As a longtime (registered) MITG user who knows that product is dead, hopefully there will be some flexibility with upgrades and purchases etc. I have found away to use Poco/Barca in a portable fashion using a third party solution (Not portable apps).
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:22 am

blakelyg wrote:Based on the posts contained in this thread can anyone tell me if Poco/Barca/Barca Pro were purchased in the next week or so would that allow for a free upgrade to version 5.x?

I doubt so, but it also depends on the release date which is impossible to estimate at the moment. Please write to support (http://www.pocosystems.com/support/) about that concern.

Based on the comments there will be no further 4.x (Poco) or 2.x Barca, so all issues etc will go unresolved until next version and from the sounds of things maybe Barca will have new versioning to bring it in line with Pocomail?

I don't know about versioning - never seen that discussed.
As for the no further 4.x, I can't give definite answer, some months ago an update to Pocomail 4.x was part of the plan, no guarantees that it didn't change in the meantime. I'll try to ask about it.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby blakelyg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:48 am

Tomas wrote:I doubt so, but it also depends on the release date which is impossible to estimate at the moment. Please write to support (http://www.pocosystems.com/support/) about that concern.

Done!

Thanks

G
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby Flashfox » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Tomas wrote:I'm trying to say the same all the time but it seems I don't have enough of an authority (of course!) or I'm using wrong words :)

Tomas --> Hmm... Slaven is busy, so am I. I don't buy the too busy excuse as he definitely has time to post all sorts of things on Twitter. Why can he not share anything with us in PS' official forum???

Pity :cry:
Flashfox

Slaven da boss?

Postby MonBidoux » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Is Slaven the owner of this software?
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Yes.
robin

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:04 am

Oh!

If he doesn't have time to work on it, perhaps he should consider selling it or even send it to the Open Source people.
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Flashfox » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Well, it was bound to happen. For the past couple of days, I have been trying out Microsoft Outlook 2010 and honestly, I am getting to like it quite a bit.

The look & feel matches Windows 7 and performance wise, I have nothing to complain about. As a matter of fact, I just shut down Barca 2.8 and decided to exclusively use Outlook 2010 during the trial.

Now I did set Outlook to NOT delete the messages from the mail servers so I can retrieve them via Barca if I need to. Outlook 2010 costs around $130 but if after the 30-day trial I still like the app, then I will go for it and drop Barca 2.8.
Flashfox

Gemx do Organizer

Postby roadrunner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:26 am

Good Morning,

Has anyone tried the doOrganizer by Gemx?

Your opinion counts.

Thank you.

roadrunner
roadrunner
Poco Tourist

GemX

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:54 am

I'd surely try it before i'd fork out $100

Although it isn't as elegant as Outlook, Thunderbird configured with specific addons can be an interesting and most viable option. The way i've got it working, i can sync calendar and contacts with GMail (and then of course my iPod touch). Can GemX and Outlook do this for free?
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion