[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Making "new mail" notification go away

Making "new mail" notification go away

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Making "new mail" notification go away

Postby JPDeni » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:03 am

I did look in the FAQ and tried to search, but I wasn't sure what to search for.

When I get new mail, the icon in the task bar changes, which is how it should be. Often all I have to do is read the title of the email and I know what I need to do, such as when I am notified that I have a private message on a forum or it's obvious spam. I don't need to open it and I just delete it. But if I don't open it, even if I move it to the trash folder, the "new mail" icon stays. The only way to get the regular icon back is to close PocoMail and open it again.

I used Calypso and then Courier for years. In fact, I'd probably still be using Courier except that I hadn't saved the install file and I have a new computer. With those programs, when there was a "new mail" notification, all that was required was to click on the icon, opening the program, and it would revert to its normal state.

How do I get PocoMail to work the same way that Courier did?
JPDeni
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Making "new mail" notification go away

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:33 am

Hi JPDeni & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
JPDeni wrote:I did look in the FAQ and tried to search, but I wasn't sure what to search for.
You won't find it in the FAQ's and I understand it's not easy to look for something when you don't know what to search for. :?
But if I don't open it, even if I move it to the trash folder, the "new mail" icon stays. The only way to get the regular icon back is to close PocoMail and open it again.
You could try an Event on Add to mark all messages deleted to Trash as Read.

First go here and download the markasread.poc script and save it.

Next create a new Event OnAdd and point to that script.

In this example my Junk Mail folder is set. You could easily make one for Trash and the Junk Mail folder.

Hope that helps. ;)
Eric

Postby JPDeni » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:56 am

Thank you. I was really hoping that I could get by without having to understand anything beyond the simple stuff :wink: but I'll give it a whack.

If I have problems, I'll come back and post again.

Thanks again for your help!
JPDeni
Drop-in Visitor

Postby JPDeni » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:40 am

No joy. :(

It did work, in that when I selected a new message and hit the "Del" button, it went to the Trash folder and, when I looked at the Trash folder, it was marked as read. That was fine. But it still didn't change the icon. Again, I had to close the program and open it again in order to get the regular icon.
JPDeni
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Making "new mail" notification go away

Postby Tomas » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:37 am

With those programs, when there was a "new mail" notification, all that was required was to click on the icon, opening the program, and it would revert to its normal state.
How do I get PocoMail to work the same way that Courier id?

If you click on the flashing icon in the tray, it will open the program (if it's minimized) and icon will be reverted to the standard one.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby JPDeni » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:58 am

That's what I expected to happen, too. But it doesn't. If I don't open the new email, the "new mail" flashing icon stays, even if I have opened the program.

I'm running Win7, if that might be an issue.

Would it be better for me to send in for email support?
JPDeni
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:23 am

Yes please submit support request through menu Help > Email support, it might be settings dependent so seeing your settings might help (copy of your settings is automatically enclosed to the support request).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby JPDeni » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:11 am

Okey-dokey!
JPDeni
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:59 am

After some testing with your configuration, so far this issue seems to be a combination of: message preview pane off + message arriving into currently selected folder + it's a message that is not intended to be read.

There are more possible workarounds, best seems to me to use click on the flashing icon in the tray to revert to normal icon, or consider using message preview pane (through menu View > Show > Show Preview Pane) if you don't have strong preference for your current layout.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby JPDeni » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:06 am

Okay. I hadn't tried clicking on the flashing icon. I will give that a shot.

I'd rather not use the preview pane. Every once in a while I get spam that has some pretty awful images that I'd just rather not see, so I prefer to not preview messages.

Thanks!
JPDeni
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:13 pm

I can understand your concern about using the preview pane with unacceptable images appearing in messages.

This was one concern that led me to use a POP3 preview program that will monitor the messages waiting on the server and let me review them by title first. It only shows the title, date and recipients and sender - it does not download the message.

I use Simplecheck for this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/simplecheck/. I know that it seems old but it runs fine on my Win7 64-bit.

The other reason that I use it is that we have three people trying to use one PC - we can each keep an eye on our e-mails without needing to load an e-mail program.

Of course - this may not match the way that you work.
robin

Postby JPDeni » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:00 am

My email all comes through two domains that I own, so if I wanted to preview my mail, I could just go to the cpanel at my web host and see things there. But if I was going to do that, I wouldn't need an email program at all and I would just read it through Squirrel Mail.

I am the only person on my computer, so I don't have the same issue.

Funny, though, after all this when I sent another test message to myself yesterday, it worked just as it should. As soon as I opened PocoMail, the icon reverted, unlike the behavior before. Maybe all it took was my complaining about it for it to fix itself. :wink:
JPDeni
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To