[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Running Pocomail on Windows 7 x64

Running Pocomail on Windows 7 x64

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Running Pocomail on Windows 7 x64

Postby XL-Dennis » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi all,

Are there any reported issues when running Pocomail on Windows 7 x64?

Thanks in advance,
Dennis
XL-Dennis
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:48 am

Works fine for me here - the only minor quirk is a cosmetic one on the subject box of a new message.

I installed it following the defaults then copied my mail folders into the default ones.
robin

Postby Tomas » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:40 am

One more that I'm tracking as Windows 7 related, is that date displayed defaults to US format instead of following Windows settings.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby XL-Dennis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:05 am

Robin & Tomas,

Thanks for Your input which is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis
XL-Dennis
Drop-in Visitor

Postby iRadiate » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 am

Dennis,

I have no problems running on Win 7 x64 either.
Keeping in mind I have only been using Poco less than a week.

iRadiate
iRadiate
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Resonant1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Actually, there are some issues with running under Win 7 64bit.

Since Poco is 32bit, it installs in the "C:\Program Files (x86)" directory tree by default. The problem there is that Win 7 does some unsavory things in that directory tree in the way of controlling and messing with access to any created subdirectories and files in those directories. Poco will do weird things unless you move the Mail directory to an area outside the "C:\Program Files (x86)" tree. You will also want to move the "Attach" and other directories outside as well. If I could figure out how, I would also move the cache directory outside.

The reason for the moves is that windows allows the main program to create files in the (x86) tree, but it doesn't allow other programs or applications or even Windows Explorer to see or read any files in the subdirectories.

A symptom of this problem can be seen if someone sends you a PDF file by e-mail attachment. If you click on the PDF link to open it, Acrobat will display an error saying that the file is missing or does not exist. Once you move the Attach directory outside the (x86) tree, Acrobat can see and open the PDF attachment.

The cache directory is affected if you receive an HTML e-mail that will not display, so you click on the link to display the e-mail in a browser. The browser then says that the file does not exist. Same problem. I haven't yet found how to move the cache directory. If anyone knows please tell me.

The symptoms of the mail directory being in the (x86) tree are more obscure, but trust me and move the mail directory out to somewhere else. For example, I use "C:\Data\PocoMail\" as the root for all Poco directories.
Resonant1
Drop-in Visitor

Postby iRadiate » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Actually, that does not seem to be correct. Yes, Poco installs in the C:\Program Files (x86) directory however, the data files & folders install under the local user account ie) C:\users\user\appdata\roaming\pocomail. This includes the cache and attach folders.

I do not see the attachment issues you mention ... I have no problems opening attached .pdf's directly.

iRadiate
Win 7 Pro x64
iRadiate
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Resonant1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:41 pm

To: iRadiate

Apparently not all installations of Windows 7 (a.k.a "versions") treat the installation of PocoMail the same way. On MY system all folders installed directly under the (x86) tree such as "C:\Program Files (x86)\PocoMail\Attach" and Mail and Signatures and so on. I have no such directory as "C:\users\user\appdata\roaming\pocomail" (assuming "user" is replaced with my username). By definition, the "C:\Users\(yourusername)\appdata\roaming" tree is a READ/WRITE area, unlike the (x86) subdirectories.

I have verified exactly what I said by doing exactly what I said. You do not see the problem because on your system the folders are ALREADY outside of the (x86) tree, ironically verifying ... you know ... exactly what I said.

The solution for the Mail folder was given to me first by PocoMail tech support as a "known problem". I then extrapolated it, through testing, as a solution for the Attach folder problems and found that to be an actual solution as well.

I am running Win 7 64bit Home Premium, while your signature says you are running Win 7 Pro x64. Both are Win 7 but apples and oranges by comparison.

My post was correct as stated for at least the Home Premium version, and possibly others. Remember that Microsoft believes that when they target an OS to the "Home" market, they also assume that they must remove the user from all access to system file areas. Just try and look at one with Windows Explorer. You get a "This folder is empty" display even though my username is at administrator level. That is also true for the Attach folder when it lives in the (x86) tree, even though e-mails tell us that attachments are in there. It's one of Microsoft's well known and annoying little habits.

When Microsoft chooses to make so many flavors of one OS, one must widen their perspective prior to launching into criticism of the experiences of others in order to avoid stepping in the fragrant brown puddles.
Resonant1
Drop-in Visitor

Postby iRadiate » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 am

Oh boy! Where shall I begin with this vitriolic response. First of all, you shouldn't be taking this as a personal attack, if that's the reason for the insulting remarks. But lets see if I can reply tactfully:

Resonant1 wrote:Apparently not all installations of Windows 7 (a.k.a "versions") treat the installation of PocoMail the same way.

I would think the installation path has less to do with the version of Windows 7 and more to do with the Poco install code. I too have a version of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 running on my ASUS G73JH-A2 Laptop and the default installation paths are the same as the Win 7 Pro.

Resonant1 wrote:On MY system all folders installed directly under the (x86) tree such as "C:\Program Files (x86)\PocoMail\Attach" and Mail and Signatures and so on.

Could it be that this was a problem with earlier releases that has since been corrected by Poco? You did say that they were aware of this issue so, I could conceive that they have modified the default installation paths.

Resonant1 wrote:I have no such directory as "C:\users\user\appdata\roaming\pocomail" (assuming "user" is replaced with my username).

Windows 7 Home Premium has this folder structure, unless you have a problem with your OS. I suspect you have files & folders hidden in your Folder Options. You will not see it if you have hidden files/folders. That's not saying you will have the \Pocomail folder in that location!

Resonant1 wrote:By definition, the "C:\Users\(yourusername)\appdata\roaming" tree is a READ/WRITE area, unlike the (x86) subdirectories.
I have verified exactly what I said by doing exactly what I said. You do not see the problem because on your system the folders are ALREADY outside of the (x86) tree, ironically verifying ... you know ... exactly what I said.

Not ironic, I was well aware of what you were saying. I have no doubt that if I moved the Attach folder to C:\Program Files (x86) ... I would also see the same issue. More to the point, my default path is not the same as yours. Perhaps this has been changed, perhaps Poco could comment on this and mention the version number of the change (if this is the case).

Resonant1 wrote:I am running Win 7 64bit Home Premium, while your signature says you are running Win 7 Pro x64. Both are Win 7 but apples and oranges by comparison. My post was correct as stated for at least the Home Premium version, and possibly others.

You put a lot of emphasis on the Win 7 version as the underlying issue, yet you never mentioned the version in your original post. I don't believe the Windows 7 version is the issue here. Pocomail installs to the same directory paths on both versions for me and therefore, I have no issues with attachments.

Resonant1 wrote:When Microsoft chooses to make so many flavors of one OS, one must widen their perspective prior to launching into criticism of the experiences of others in order to avoid stepping in the fragrant brown puddles.

I'm not going to stoop to the level of this comment and reply with how I really feel about it.

iRadiate
iRadiate
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Resonant1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:18 am

The Bottom Line:

Vitriolic? Well basically if you look at your response to my original post you said "Actually, that does not seem to be correct" and "I have no problems opening attached .pdf's directly". In essence, you implied I was either mistaken, delusional or a liar simply because your experience was different. If there was any "tone" in my reply, that implication was the reason.

If two people stand on the freeway and one gets hit by a car and the other doesn't, the uninjured guy cannot tell the injured guy that he is delusional or wrong about being hit because he himself was not hit. That certainly does not invalidate the other guy's injuries and is likely to irritate the injured guy as well.

As for the newest points:

1) Certainly it can have both to do with the Windows 7 version AND/OR the Poco code. I was installing Poco v4.8.0.4400 which as far as I know is current.

2) Don't know if this has been corrected in a newer version since my Poco tells me there is no new version available.

3) I said I don't have the "pocomail" part of the "C:\users\user\appdata\roaming\pocomail" tree, meaning that my system did not create one or install subdirectories there.

4) You may have been aware of what I was saying about the Attach folder, but again what you said was that I was wrong about the problem, so how would I know about what you were aware of?

5) I never mentioned my version of Win 7 originally because the topic of this thread is about problems running under Win 7 in general. My statement was still true whether I point out the version or not. I was not making an assessment that said it was a "Home Premium" problem. How would I know if it is limited to Home Premium? I made the post so that others seeing the same symptoms might find a workaround regardless of their Win 7 version. I brought it up in response to you to note that MS does treat the flavors of 7 differently so if your experience was different it may be rooted in that rather than the assumption that my original post was wrong, a lie, or something else.

So the bottom line is that even though my experience was different than yours, my post is still true (a.k.a "Correct") from the point of view of my installation experience, regardless of the actual cause of that difference. The nature of this thread is to share any issues with running under Win 7. I shared my actual experience and workaround for the benefit of the thread and you declared me wrong based upon your experience being different. THAT is what prompted my reply.

Might I suggest that rather than declaring others wrong because their experience is different than yours, you might instead just simply say, "I did not see the same problem under Win 7 Pro with Poco V (whatever)". That would be a constructive addition to the thread by contrast.
Resonant1
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:29 am

Please keep it civilized!

It's OK to present another opinion, so accept it from others that they may have another view on things.
Accept the fact that one person's view may be true, while at your end it may differ.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation. ;)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:05 am

The solution for the Mail folder was given to me first by PocoMail tech support as a "known problem".

I'd like to point out at the moment it's more of a known solution than a known problem (aka bug).

During installation Pocomail asks where to put the data and it also says that putting data under Program Files is not recommended for Vista users (well..Windows 7 is not mentioned).
Installation procedure doesn't depend on operating system - it shall be the same no matter whether you are installing on XP or W7.
The data path question is 4th screen of the installation process and five options are presented, 3rd is "Application install folder (not recommended for Vista)".

Usually the problem mentioned only comes up if users just copy their whole Pocomail folder from one computer over to another (which was a popular method of transferring app and data in the past) or if program folder is selected as the place to store your data during installation.

We don't track any bug reports for this, please let me know if you have encountered some problem with the installation procedure on your system (eg. the 4th screen "Select Personal Data Directory" didn't display, or anything else).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby ianw » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm running W7 x64 pro, my Pocomail is working perfectly.

What I do is during the installation of it I select to install on my partition F and the attach folders etc in partition H, this partition is small specifically for program files, like Poco etc.
ianw

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To