[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Gmail spam filtering is pretty useless, even funny

Gmail spam filtering is pretty useless, even funny

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Gmail spam filtering is pretty useless, even funny

Postby Tomas » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:21 am

I still remember some user not so long ago touting Gmail as a prime example of how well the spam filtering shall work. Oh No!

Google Groups administration messages end up in Spam folder.
Google Alerts end up in spam folder.
And not some but many of them.

and I'm not even talking about completely innocent messages from completely innocent years old and hugely followed official discussion groups (like python programming).

OK. One can add all of these to the contacts book. Even official google services, if they can't do it themselves. But it makes their acclaimed antispam filters look funny.

I wouldn't be complaining, if there was a choice and it was possible to turn off their spam filtering, but it obviously is not.

:x
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:11 pm

You know I never paid to much attention to Gmail's spam filtering.

They must have changed something because I never really had a problem with it. I rarely if ever use the web interface. I just use PocoMail.

Today after reading your post I checked it. Well I'll be, there were some messages in the Spam folder. Of course not a single one was Spam. All of them were from a friend of mine. I was wondering why I had not received and messages in the last week or so.

I really don't like this. I prefer to deal with Spam my self. I even had my ISP turn of filtering for my account after they installed SpamAssassin, way to aggressive, heck I wasn't getting any messages at all. :(

I have a Yahoo and 2 Hotmail Accounts they at least have the option to turn off or at least set it allow most everything. Never really cared for web mail anyway. I use Gmail for my "forward" friends only nothing important. Looks like I will have to pay more attention to the Spam folder now in Gmail. :x
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby rgrun1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:44 am

You meant their admin posts AREN'T spam :?: :twisted: :D

As for getting Gmail locally and not via the web - you never know how many are trapped as spam - you never see them. I went out to the web interface and had tons of group mails (but not all!) trapped in the spam filter
Rick Grunwald
rgrun1
Frequent Visitor

Postby DT611 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:41 am

I am also using Gmail and it really isn't that good with filtering messages. However, my main problem with it was a lot of spam messages are being placed on my Inbox-- in short it fails in filtering messages. I tried using the filter option where you can filter all messages under a domain...still doesn't work. I just hope that Google fix this issue as like what you have said guys, they are one of the best examples of how well the spam filtering shall work
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves. ~Victor Frankl
My flash drive: Corsair Flash Voyager GTR
DT611
New Arrival

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:48 pm

I got tired of good messages ending up in Gmail's spam.

My solution was to effectively turn off Gmail's spam filtering.

The following filters are applied to all incoming mail:
Matches: from:(@)
Do this: Never send it to Spam
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:48 am

That's great tip Chris, thank you, didn't know this was possible.

Out of curiosity I checked the spam folder in my gmail account and it seems they improved a lot comparing to situation 2 years ago.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby speerga » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:23 am

chrisretusn wrote:I got tired of good messages ending up in Gmail's spam.

My solution was to effectively turn off Gmail's spam filtering.

The following filters are applied to all incoming mail:
Matches: from:(@)
Do this: Never send it to Spam

That's amazing, that you're having so much trouble with Gmail spam filtering.

Frankly, except for a rocky patch when a lot of spam got into my Inbox for a few months about two years ago, gmail is the ONLY spam filtering that's ever worked for me. LOL!

Seriously, I have -- for the second time in a year! -- moved from PocoMail back to using Thunderbird and gmail. And the reason I have done this is because Pocomail has the absolutely WORST spam filtering of any email client I've used.

That's coming from someone who's owned and used Pocomail for many years, always hoping one tip or another or one revision or another would make spam filtering work for me.

But, alas, spam filtering has always been almost a non-factor in the minds of too many pocomail users and the developers.

Ah, well.
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:45 am

speerga wrote:That's amazing, that you're having so much trouble with Gmail spam filtering.

As far as I'm concerned, that was 2 years ago. Official Google services email messages ending in Spam folder and impossibility to disable antispam (I don't know whether I overlooked the above solution, or it wasn't available back then) was quite enough of a reason for me to avoid using Gmail address for serious stuff.

With Pocomail, you could at least use any other antispam filter, or not enable the built-in one. Gmail didn't seem to give a choice.

But, alas, spam filtering has always been almost a non-factor in the minds of too many pocomail users and the developers.

I don't remember the times when the bayesian spam filters were included in Pocomail. It was many years back and it might have been a good decision at that time, I don't know/remember what was the market situation back then.

In my humble opinion it would be best if the built-in bayesian filtering was removed or made more of an "addon" than built-in feature. It doesn't make that much sense nowadays to include such functionality built-in, as it probably did few years ago. There are specialized antispam tools, and same as Pocomail doesn't include built-in email server, mailing list management, email forensics etc., it should abandon antispam in favor of specialized tools as it can work with most of them (except the few that are Outlook-only). (I'm very happy SpamBayes user.)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:32 am

speerga wrote:Pocomail has the absolutely WORST spam filtering of any email client I've used.
I have had great success with PocoMail's Junk Mail filters, 73% of incoming messages have been filtered as junk with 93.18% accuracy and 0.90% false positives.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:40 am

Tomas wrote:As far as I'm concerned, that was 2 years ago. Official Google services email messages ending in Spam folder and impossibility to disable antispam (I don't know whether I overlooked the above solution, or it wasn't available back then) was quite enough of a reason for me to avoid using Gmail address for serious stuff.
The "never add it to spam" filter option was added later. Until that option I used IMAP to check the Gmail spam folder. I never use Gmail for anything serious.

In my humble opinion it would be best if the built-in bayesian filtering was removed or made more of an "addon" than built-in feature. It doesn't make that much sense nowadays to include such functionality built-in, as it probably did few years ago. There are specialized antispam tools, and same as Pocomail doesn't include built-in email server, mailing list management, email forensics etc., it should abandon antispam in favor of specialized tools as it can work with most of them (except the few that are Outlook-only). (I'm very happy SpamBayes user.)
I personally like having the filters built in and hope it stays as a built-in feature.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby FFF » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:21 am

chrisretusn wrote:
speerga wrote:Pocomail has the absolutely WORST spam filtering of any email client I've used.
I have had great success with PocoMail's Junk Mail filters, 73% of incoming messages have been filtered as junk with 93.18% accuracy and 0.90% false positives.

FWIW, i use K9 "in front" of Poco for years now, ,my rating is contantly 98,80% with 0,13% false positives....

Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 am

While those are impressive stats, there is a big reason I prefer to use PocoMail's filters rather than a front end filter.

A lot of my mail comes from friends who send me those pesky forwards. Some of them I happen to like. I also get individual emails from the several Yahoo! and Gmail Groups that I belong to. These types of messages almost always end up being marked as spam. With PocoMail I can filter these out to their respective folders before they are processes by PocoMail's Junk Filters.

In fact most of the messages I get are acted upon by my filter sets before they get to the Junk Mail filters. I get hundreds on messages a week. Since my last reset of the Junk Mail statistic, 2686 messages out of over 20,000 have made it to the Junk Mail filters.

K9, is that this K9? K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter and Parental Control Software | Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:35 am

Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby chrisretusn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Tomas wrote:K9 is http://keir.net/k9.html

Thanks. Guess I got the wrong K9.
Chris