[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poll - Would you be willing to fork out $ for new upgrade?

Poll - Would you be willing to fork out $ for new upgrade?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poll - Would you be willing to fork out $ for new upgrade?

Postby MonBidoux » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:24 am

With the advent of GMail, the latest Windows Live Essentials(conversation view) and other email clients, Barca and Poco may require too much effort (time and money) to keep up.

Perhaps a poll to see how many present users would be willing to fork out a few more bucks for an eventual upgrade could be a means to encourage further efforts on the part PocoSystems?
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:12 pm

I more of hope that if there will be an upgrade fee it will be low enough, as loyal users are more valued than few extra $. But thanks for the suggestion!
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:59 am

Always thinking of others Tomas!

They should give free upgrades to you and Eric for all you've done here.

All things considered...

If a new RSS feed reader comes around (syncing with Google Reader like Feeddemon does would be nice), along with improved Search speed and then of course, if the price is right! ;)
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby aderoy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Not sure if a new RSS reader is what I would consider for upgrade.

Wish the IMAP functions worked better - that would make me upgrade in a minute.

Also support for larger than 2GB mailstore. Folders are now getting tight and have to split/archive out.

Guess I am old school - one application for each type of work. Plain text e-mails with 'safe' support for HTML (which Poco seems to handle fairly well).
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:00 am

aderoy wrote:Also support for larger than 2GB mailstore. Folders are now getting tight and have to split/archive out.

I'm sure you are aware of this, just in case, mailstore can be over 2GB in total, but one single folder can only hold 2GB (or whatever the operating system and file system supports).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby aderoy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:18 am

Yes I am aware of the total mailstore vs folder. Now with people sending 'larger attachments' ie video/power point files etc a single folder can be larger than 2GB very quickly.

Since I leave attachments stored with the message (not in a separate attachment folder) you can bump the 2GB size quickly. I have messages going back to 1999 and have started yearly archives of folders moving messages out at end of year. Makes searching longer, increases the number of files in the mailstore directory etc.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:24 am

Of course I would. If we jump to 5.0 a major version upgrade I would defiantly fork out a few bucks for an upgrade.

On RSS, I just can see it's use. That's my personal preference though. I use RSSOwl for my feeds.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby DaveP » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 pm

Well, not to drag up an old topic . . , but why the hell not?

I've been using Pocomail since 2002. I think I paid $30 back then. I bought an upgrade to 4.0 in 2005 for $40 CDN. (Best 40 bux I have invested.)

It has been virtually trouble free. VIRUS FREE!!!! And some of the features are unmatched even in this "Gee-Whiz" day and age. And did I mention it is virus free?

Would I buy an upgrade? . . , you bet your life I would!

Besides, I gotta support a Canadian enterprise! :lol:

Dave P
(A happy Pocomail user in Toronto)
DaveP
Poco Tourist

Re: Poll - Would you be willing to fork out $ for new upgrad

Postby DaveP » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:46 pm

MonBidoux wrote:With the advent of GMail, the latest Windows Live Essentials(conversation view)

I use Pocomail for business, and I use Bell Canada Web Hosting Services for my website.

I could use Bell's Webmail if I wanted, but I prefer to use Pocomail. I do not feel comfortable using server based email. Call me old fashioned, but I perfer a client based programme, with all messages downloaded to my hardware, not someone else's.

Dave P
DaveP
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 am

DaveP wrote:I do not feel comfortable using server based email. Call me old fashioned, but I perfer a client based programme, with all messages downloaded to my hardware, not someone else's.

You are not alone. I feel the same way.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:14 am

Yes - my view is you buy what is on the table (so to speak) if someone brings something new to the table that you want then you need to pay for that too.

I don't have a problem paying for the latest version of software (provided of course it has additional features that I want).

I've considered going to Outlook (use it at work, and the wife uses it here at home) but somehow just can't so it.
robin

Postby ianw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 pm

chrisretusn wrote:
DaveP wrote:I do not feel comfortable using server based email. Call me old fashioned, but I perfer a client based programme, with all messages downloaded to my hardware, not someone else's.

You are not alone. I feel the same way.

My feelings too. IMO, Pocomail, at the moment, is the best email program out there.

I would certainly pay out for an upgrade provided it does not include
server based email or, if served based emails are included will it be programmed to be switched ON who those who want it and OFF for those who do not want it.
ianw

Postby robin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:27 pm

ianw wrote:... provided it does not include
server based email or, if served based emails are included will it be programmed to be switched ON who those who want it and OFF for those who do not want it.

What do you mean by "server-based e-mails"?
robin

Pay for upgrade?

Postby Penintel56 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:08 pm

You bet I will! Any time!
I DO agree with Chrisretusn in his Paradise, Ianw, and DaveP in "la Belle Province"!
And thanks to ERIC and Tomas, particularly, Poco keeps easy to use "complete", and so friendly
A happy user in a "wild" country!
Pierre
Pierre
Penintel56
Poco Tourist

Re: Pay for upgrade?

Postby blakelyg » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Penintel56 wrote:You bet I will! Any time!
I DO agree with Chrisretusn in his Paradise, Ianw, and DaveP in "la Belle Province"!
And thanks to ERIC and Tomas, particularly, Poco keeps easy to use "complete", and so friendly
A happy user in a "wild" country!
Pierre

Hey there Penitel56 Just a quick note that I am in La Belle Province - DaveP is in the centre of the universe (Dave will know what that means right Dave)
:D
Also a note here that on Twitter Slaven did let everyone know that Barca (and I assume all the Poco Systems Line sans MITG) is in pre-alpha phase.

G
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion