[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Moving to Mac - How to move email

Moving to Mac - How to move email

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Moving to Mac - How to move email

Postby UltraSmooth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:28 am

I'm moving to a mac platform so unfortunately I'm going to have to leave Barca behind after many years of loyal service.

I will be making a switch to Thunderbird for my mail client (because of the cross-platrom abilities).

I know Thunderbird can read the mbx files and I have test this before so move the actual mail folders shouldn't be an issue.

Contacts can be exported to CSV format, which I've done before to import into Outlook to sync to my iphone.

My hurdle is attachments. Barca has been set to extract and save attachments to the Attach folder. Since they're not encoded in the email when importing the mail folders the attachments are not brought with the messages.

I tried adding an imap (via Gmail) account and dragging some emails with attachments over to an online folder but they also do not take the attachments with them.

This would be a huge blow if I can't keep my attachments with my email messages. Does anyone know any way I can migrate the attachments with the email?

I wish I would have know this from the start as I would have always left the attachment encoded.

Please help!

P.S. Barca is a great product, it's too bad development seems to be dead
UltraSmooth
New Arrival

Re: Moving to Mac - How to move email

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 am

Hi UltraSmooth & welcome to Poco Forums, :)
UltraSmooth wrote:Does anyone know any way I can migrate the attachments with the email?
See Reattaching attachments to messages.
I wish I would have know this from the start as I would have always left the attachment encoded.
You can't know everything in advance, although nowadays it's better to leave them encoded with the messages. :)
P.S. Barca is a great product, it's too bad development seems to be dead
Indeed it is, but you're wrong about the development.
It's quiet, that's true, but that doesn't mean development is stopped.

IMHO You'll be surprised what Slaven will come forward with.

You'll also find topics about running Barca on Mac, so maybe you'll go that way. 8)

Good luck with it. ;)
Eric

Postby blakelyg » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Indeed it is, but you're wrong about the development.
It's quiet, that's true, but that doesn't mean development is stopped.

IMHO You'll be surprised what Slaven will come forward with.

You'll also find topics about running Barca on Mac, so maybe you'll go that way. 8)

Good luck with it. ;)

In fact I have been following Slaven on twitter and last week in response to that very question (not by me) he indicated that Barca (and I am only assuming here - all the products) is is pre-alpha phase. What does that mean - well I take it to mean that there is development (and coding in fact) taking place but there is nothing yet available for an alpha build (pre-alpha phase is an interesting term for sure).

G
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby twhiting9275 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:47 am

Eric wrote:It's quiet, that's true, but that doesn't mean development is stopped.

version 2.8 build 4400, updated 6 April 2009

That there says it all. If a professional company can't be bothered to put out a major release every year, then development has stopped. In this case, a year and a half later, and not even an alpha/beta release, or a minor update? Something's definitely wrong there. Development, for all intents and purposes has ceased.
twhiting9275
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:22 am

twhiting9275 wrote:That there says it all.
That doesn't say anything at all.
We all know PSI isn't a big company which releases frequent updates.
If a professional company can't be bothered to put out a major release every year, then development has stopped.
Read blakelyg's reply. He's working on a new version.
Also there's no rule to release a major upgrade every year.
Further more those users would have to pay each year for a new major upgrade. :?
I simply hate that policy. :evil:
In this case, a year and a half later, and not even an alpha/beta release, or a minor update? Something's definitely wrong there. Development, for all intents and purposes has ceased. :evil:
If that's the way you see it, then fine.
We'll see how it turns out. ;)
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To