[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - what must I do to make windows 7/64 find Pocomail

what must I do to make windows 7/64 find Pocomail

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

what must I do to make windows 7/64 find Pocomail

Postby ente » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:09 am

In the good old Times of Windows XP, when clicking on a email address, Pocomail was called, opened a new mail and the selected address was entered in the to field.

Now I have to copy the email address, have to switch to Pocomail, have to open a new mail and then to have enter the address in the to field.

I read some time ago that by editing the registry this missbehaving can be cured. Only: the solution given, didn't work for me, because I nowhere found the address given in that excample.

Has anybody else had this problem and has solved it?
Help would be appreciated very much,
Ente
Last edited by ente on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ente
Resident Poster

Postby ianw » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Click on the down arrow at the "New" Icon on the toolbar and click on "New Contact".

Fill in the details that you want to fill in.

So when you select "New Message from Template" a list of the mail addresses you entered will show and you select the one you want, the address is entered into the opened email for you to process.

I cant work out what your problem is I'm sorry to say.
That method I suggested is mainly for those email addresses that you send more than once.
ianw

Postby ente » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:30 am

ianw wrote:Click on the down arrow at the "New" Icon on the toolbar and click on "New Contact".

Fill in the details that you want to fill in.

So when you select "New Message from Template" a list of the mail addresses you entered will show and you select the one you want, the address is entered into the opened email for you to process.

I cant work out what your problem is I'm sorry to say.
That method I suggested is mainly for those email addresses that you send more than once.

Thank you,
but this is not the problem I have. What I'm looking for is, what I have to do where to make Windows 7/64 recognise Poco as my standard email program
Thank you anyway,
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby ianw » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:45 pm

I have had the same problem a few times and I eventually found the fix.

Is your Pocomail the default email program ?

To check it and to make it the default do this.

Open the "Control Panel" and look for "Default Programs".

Open it and select the first option "Set Default Programs".

Wait for a minute or so and all your default programs will be shown.

Look for PocoMail in the left pane and click on it, then make it the default.

Hopefully that wll fix it.
ianw

Postby ente » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:53 am

ianw wrote:I have had the same problem a few times and I eventually found the fix.

Is your Pocomail the default email program ?

To check it and to make it the default do this.

Open the "Control Panel" and look for "Default Programs".

Open it and select the first option "Set Default Programs".

Wait for a minute or so and all your default programs will be shown.

Look for PocoMail in the left pane and click on it, then make it the default.

Hopefully that wll fix it.

Ianw, tnx

this was done some time ago. It did not help. It has to do something with regedit. I asked twice for the key - which was offered here in the forum - unfortunately I never got an answer. It seems that I have commiitted some grave missconduct, unfortunately I don't know how an when.
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby KevTech » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Try the Pocomail registry patch.

Update: See my last post in this thread on page 2
Last edited by KevTech on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevTech
Poco Tourist

Postby ente » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:16 am

KevTech wrote:Try the Pocomail registry patch.

Thank you for this proposition. I'd prefer to edit the registry key myself and I'm waiting for the key which was promised to be placed here on the board
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:27 am

If you wish to edit the registry on your own, check whether registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\DefaultIcon\shell\open\command
exists.
If it exists, then move HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\DefaultIcon\shell branch to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\shell

To clarify the above further, after the move you shall see
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\shell\open\command
not HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\shell\shell\open\command
(ie. just one shell folder in the path)

That shall suffice, just in case you'd need to create the key value manually for some reason, it should contains path to your poco.exe incl. poco.exe, then /m switch and "%1: as in following example:

C:\Program Files\Pocomail\Poco.exe /m "%1"
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby ente » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:13 am

Tomas wrote:If you wish to edit the registry on your own, check whether registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\DefaultIcon\shell\open\command
exists.
If it exists, then move HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\DefaultIcon\shell branch to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\shell

To clarify the above further, after the move you shall see
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\shell\open\command
not HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PocoMail mailto\shell\shell\open\command
(ie. just one shell folder in the path)

That shall suffice, just in case you'd need to create the key value manually for some reason, it should contains path to your poco.exe incl. poco.exe, then /m switch and "%1: as in following example:

C:\Program Files\Pocomail\Poco.exe /m "%1"

Tomas,
thank you. I have not a single line in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT mentioning Pocomail.
And this also not after running the patch you have placed in the general discussion forum.
The only place where I can find Pocomail mentioned in the registry is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and there the line reads

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Poco Systems Inc\Pocomail 4\C:\Program Files (x86)\Pocomail4

That's all.

I'm not sure if I understand what I have to do in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
May be you have to explain in a more step by step wa<y.
Anyway, I leave for holydays now and all my W7 problems will rest for the next three weeks... I will contact you as soon as I'm back.
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby KevTech » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Update: See my post on page 2

Tomas wrote:C:\Program Files\Pocomail\Poco.exe /m "%1"

The path is different for 64 bit as Pocomail is installed to Program Files (x86) as only 64 bit programs go into the Program Files folder.

In the registry the line will be:

C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail4\\Poco.exe /m "%1\

Here are all the entries I have (win 7 64 bit):

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto]
"URL Protocol"=""
"FriendlyTypeName"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail4\\Poco.exe"
@="URL:MailTo Protocol"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail4\\Poco.exe,-1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\Shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\Shell\open\command]
@="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail4\\Poco.exe /m "%1""

You could just copy/paste that code into a text file and save it with a .reg extension then import it.
Last edited by KevTech on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
KevTech
Poco Tourist

Postby ente » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:36 am

KevTech wrote:

The path is different for 64 bit as Pocomail is installed to Program Files (x86) as only 64 bit programs go into the Program Files folder.

C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail\\Poco.exe /m "%1\

"URL Protocol"=""
"FriendlyTypeName"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail\\Poco.exe"

@="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail\\Poco.exe,-1"

@="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail\\Poco.exe /m "%1""

You could just copy/paste that code into a text file and save it with a .reg extension then import it.

Hello Tomas,
thank you. I'm in holiday, where I'm happy with a Windows xp machine... I will try it as soon as I'm back, that is late september.
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby ente » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:46 pm

ente wrote:
KevTech wrote:

C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail\\Poco.exe /m "%1\

"URL Protocol"=""
"FriendlyTypeName"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail\\Poco.exe"

@="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail\\Poco.exe,-1"

@="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail\\Poco.exe /m "%1""

Hello Kevin,
back from my holydays I realised, that you and not Tomas gave me these lines for the registry. Sorry and thank you.
Since you gave only the the extension the file has to have, I called it reg.reg and tried to import. That did not work, so I called it txt.reg and here I got the message, that this is no registry file. Has it to have a specific filename? How did you call yours?
Thank you for helping,
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby KevTech » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:41 pm

You have to have this at the top before any other entries:

Then name the file whatever you want with .reg extension.

Make sure your file does not have a double extension as in:

filename.reg.txt

"URL Protocol"=""
"FriendlyTypeName"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail4\\Poco.exe"

@="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail4\\Poco.exe,-1"

@="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Pocomail4\\Poco.exe /m \"%1\""
Last edited by KevTech on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevTech
Poco Tourist

Postby ente » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:42 am

KevTech wrote:You have to have this at the top before any other entries:

(.....)

Hello Kevtech.
wonderfull, now pocomail works - within Windows 7, 64 Bit - as it ought to (as I was used under Windows XP): When I click in a Internetpage on a email address, Pocomail gets stated, opens a new mail and places the address I had clicked on in the to-field.

There was only on thing I had to change in your lines: To replace the foldername "pocomail" by "pocomail4), since (at least in my case) the folder is named like this.

I'm sure this problem - what have I to do that Windows 7 finds Pocomail - will become a problem soon for many more Pocolitos. That is why I propose that you create a new topic in the How to forum and give a precise description of the procedure. Don't forget to write how to give a registry file a .reg ending, don't forget to mention that the folder name has to reflect the location of the poco.exe and, very important to, that one has to have administrator rights to edit the registry. Otherwise you are told that there was an error writing to the registry, respectively that it is not a registry file, and not, as it ought to, that you can't write to the registry without administrator rights.

kevtech, thanky again, this was very usefull, ente
ente
Resident Poster

Still No Joy

Postby treigel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:26 am

I created a .reg file and ran it as described above. Nothing. Then I figured out the the folder name on my system was Pocomail4 instead of Pocomail - don't recall changing the default when I installed, but maybe I did. In any case, when I fixed that for both appearances in the file and ran it again I made some progress, I suppose.

Now, when I click on a mail-to link in my browsers PocoMail finally does open an empty email in the compose window. But the address is always "%1" (without the quotes) rather than the actual address of the link. Not actually much better than not opening the compose window at all. :(

Anyone have any ideas how to fix that?

Terry
treigel
Drop-in Visitor

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To