[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail won't send using broadband dongle

Pocomail won't send using broadband dongle

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pocomail won't send using broadband dongle

Postby g0akh » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:12 am

Hi,

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious, but Pocomail sends and receives fine when connected to my broadband router via a network cable, but when I use my broadband wireless dongle (3G mobile phone network, not wifi), it receives OK but won't send emails. It appears to be sending, takes about 20 seconds, then returns to the open email.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
g0akh
New Arrival

Re: Pocomail won't send using broadband dongle

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:02 am

Hi g0akh & welcome to Poco Forums :D ,
g0akh wrote:I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious, but Pocomail sends and receives fine when connected to my broadband router via a network cable, but when I use my broadband wireless dongle (3G mobile phone network, not wifi), it receives OK but won't send emails. It appears to be sending, takes about 20 seconds, then returns to the open email.
What does the error log say :?:
Press F12 to open the log.

Maybe there's another setting for the outgoing server to send through your mobile phone network.
On my HTC I also have to use another outgoing server to send, so perhaps that's the problem. :roll:

Check your account and the smtp settings to send.

Hope that helps. ;)
Eric

Postby g0akh » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:08 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Don't have the broadband dongle here with me at the moment, so working from memory, but I'll try some tests tomorrow and post what the error log says.

Cheers
g0akh
New Arrival

Postby robin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:43 pm

The most obvious thought that comes to mind here is that the outgoing mail server (SMTP) that you use with your fixed line broadband is not available to you when you use your 3G dongle - you would need to change the config to use the 3g broadband suppliers SMTP server. This is because the 3G connection will be on a different network to the fixed line connection.

ISPs do this to prevent users from outside their network using their SMTP server to send spam.

The only way around this is to use an outgoing mail server that you can access from any network - this may be if you have your own domain for example - or you simply register with one.

I don't know of any other mail software that lets you have a backup SMTP server.
robin

Poco with Three Broadband Dongle [SOLVED]

Postby g0akh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:41 am

Solved it. :D

Add another account to Pocomail using the same incoming settings, but Outgoing server as 'smtp-mbb.three.co.uk:25'. Note it's port 25, not as Three specify.

When sending/replying, ensure it's sent from the Three account, not the usual one.
g0akh
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To