[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - System Lockup - PocoMail seems involved

System Lockup - PocoMail seems involved

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

System Lockup - PocoMail seems involved

Postby treigel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:35 am

I've been having a lot of trouble with PocoMail for some time on my Win 7 64-bit system. When I have several programs open at once, working on another program, and I click on PocoMail, it locks up. Often, but not always, it locks up other programs as well, and sometimes Windows itself. When the latter happens I sometimes get a few keystokes or mouse actions in before those functions are lost too.

Sometimes, but not always, PocoMail eventually comes free, or responds after a long delay to my clicking the [X] button at the top right of the screen. Other times I'm able to bring up Task Manager and force PocoMail to close. At other times I've had to do a manual hard reboot to recover the system.

I notice that the PocoMail trouble ticket says I have 4 GB of RAM, but the system actually has 8 GB. Is it possible that PocoMail is getting caught in a conflict between the RAM it sees and the actual RAM? I get occasional memory address errors from PocoMail, but I've not noted the details.

It's not of course positive that it's PocoMail that's at fault, since I generally have lots of other apps open too, but I've only noticed the issue when I try to return to PocoMail, making it a prime suspect.

Have others reported this issue? Is there any fix?
treigel
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi, I can't help you with the lockup problem - I run Poco on Win 7 Pro 64-bit without any problems. Are you sure it's not soemthing else?

But:
I notice that the PocoMail trouble ticket says I have 4 GB of RAM, but the system actually has 8 GB. Is it possible that PocoMail is getting caught in a conflict between the RAM it sees and the actual RAM? I get occasional memory address errors from PocoMail, but I've not noted the details.
Poco is a 32-bit application running on a 32-bit "Windows on Windows" - 32-bit Windows will not see more than 4Gb. Hence the result that you see.
robin

Postby treigel » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:01 am

Thanks for the reply, Robin,

No, I'm not at all sure it's really a PocoMail issue. The reason I suspect PocoMail is that it seems to only occur when I click on the PocoMail window to return focus to it after working with another app. I've not encountered the issue when moving to any other app. Tomas has now responded to my trouble ticket and reports that the condition has been reported by others, on rare occasions.

In fact, I've encountered it rarely too - I don't think it has appeared again since I sent in the trouble ticket in early September, though it has occurred more frequently in the past. Maybe something that contributes to the issue has gotten fixed by some upgrade or change I've made someplace.

Your explanation on the RAM total makes sense - I don't think I've seen another 32-bit application make a declaration on the amount of RAM available.

Wondered about an issue with memory because I get occasional errors about memory when I navigate between messages, and also false "can't save to clipboard" errors from time to time. I have no clue whether they are actually related to this issue.
treigel
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:40 am

I don't know what is in the reply from Thomas, but I have seen problems with Poco and Nvidia screen drivers, but that was on my old XP 32-bit system. I've never seen problems like that on my new system.
robin

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To