[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - opening of attachements

opening of attachements

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

opening of attachements

Postby alfred » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:59 am

Hi,
Perhaps someone could help me on this: I´m using mostly non-standard software, i.e instead of Microsoft Office I use Softmaker Office for example. And I´m using it in a portable way, that is, not installed.
So, when getting a powerpoint presentation with Thunderbird, it opens on double-click in the attachement. In Barca a .pps opens not- nothing at all happens. I think this is, because Barca does not know the application to open with. How can I tell this Barca? There is no "applications" in the options.....
alfred
Poco Tourist

Re: opening of attachements

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:42 am

alfred wrote:I think this is, because Barca does not know the application to open with. How can I tell this Barca? There is no "applications" in the options.....
It's Windows who needs to know how to open it, not Barca.
However it's strange that one application can open it and the other can't. :?
I suppose Barca is installed on your computer and not portable.
Try to open the PPS outside Barca and select to always open with Softmaker.
Maybe it will solve itself.

Just a thought. ;)
Eric

Postby alfred » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:38 am

Hello Eric!

I installed Barca again. When doubleclicking in my filemanager on a .pps it is correctly opened with Softmaker Presentations- this is the only possibillity on my PC. Barca opens all kinds of files, jpg, pdf, wmv...... but it does not know how to open a Powerpoint presentation.

This is not very bad.... but it is annoying. It would be more comfortable to view the pps from inside Barca, to know if it is worth saving or not.
alfred
Poco Tourist

Postby alfred » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 am

I forgott to say: I used Barca portable too (Installing, copying the folder in another folder, deinstalling. This works! I could make a working backup direct to my flashdrive). Now it is really installed- but with no change concerning pps.
alfred
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 am

Hi alfred,
alfred wrote:I installed Barca again. When doubleclicking in my filemanager on a .pps it is correctly opened with Softmaker Presentations- this is the only possibillity on my PC. Barca opens all kinds of files, jpg, pdf, wmv...... but it does not know how to open a Powerpoint presentation.
Pity it doesn't work on your end.
Perhaps there's a problem between Softmaker and Barca, since it works here with Open Office. :?
This is not very bad.... but it is annoying. It would be more comfortable to view the pps from inside Barca, to know if it is worth saving or not.
Viewing it inside Barca will never work, since the PPS will be opened in another program.

:idea: I only have one other suggestion and that's to use the PowerPoint Viewer.
If that doesn't work then I'm out of suggestions to make it work on your end.
Perhaps using a registry cleaner will help. Reboot afterwards and be sure to let the registry cleaner make a backup prior to deleting invalid registry entries.
I forgott to say: I used Barca portable too (Installing, copying the folder in another folder, deinstalling. This works! I could make a working backup direct to my flashdrive). Now it is really installed- but with no change concerning pps.
Okay, it was worth a shot.
Weird why Windows won't accept the command from within Barca. :roll:

Also forgot to ask what OS you're using. If Win 7, it could be due to some incompatibility, although I can't check it here.

Anyhow do have a fine weekend and till soon. ;)
Eric

Postby alfred » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:32 am

Viewing it inside Barca will never work, since the PPS will be opened in another program.

You misunderstood me. I meant, opening it with a double-click in the attachment- the same as for example opening a pdf from within Barca.

I´m using XP.

This problem is not this important. I will tell you, when it works (I regularly use a registry cleaner. perhaps.....)

Thank you for your answer. But, I hope NOT untill soon- because when I´m writing here, I had trouble with Barca! :wink:
alfred
Poco Tourist

Return to Barca Help and How-To