[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Mail downloading over and over

Mail downloading over and over

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Mail downloading over and over

Postby soniajane » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Hello everyone

I have an intermittent problem whereby Poco downloads mail that I've already received. It happens when I change wireless networks. At home I have two networks. I just switched from one to the other and Poco refetched all the mail I have on the server (set to keep for 30 days). It doesn't happen every time - I must have switched 8-10 times in the last 24 hours but it's happened three times so far.

I've noticed this before when I travel - sometimes I get to a hotel, connect to their network and wooooosh! all my old mail appears. It's hundreds of emails and it's a PITA to have to go through and delete the dupes from all my folders.

So, why does it seem to think it's all new mail? Is there some kind of setting that tells it the last fetched mail that isn't being reset? It seems strange to me that it happens when I switch networks with Poco already running - so for example, this morning, it correctly fetched my new mail when I first opened Poco, then fetched some that arrived through the morning, but as soon as I switched networks it started to download everything. It's not like I quite Poco and restarted it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as ever :D
soniajane
Poco Tourist

Re: Mail downloading over and over

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 am

Hi soniajane,
soniajane wrote:So, why does it seem to think it's all new mail? Is there some kind of setting that tells it the last fetched mail that isn't being reset? It seems strange to me that it happens when I switch networks with Poco already running - so for example, this morning, it correctly fetched my new mail when I first opened Poco, then fetched some that arrived through the morning, but as soon as I switched networks it started to download everything. It's not like I quite Poco and restarted it.
Have you tried to close Poco first, before switching to another network :?:
Not sure if that's the problem, but it doesn't hurt trying.

If not, we'll look at other possibilities. ;)
Win 7 | KIS 2012 | SUPERAntispyware | SandBoxie | ShadowProtect
Browsers: Opera & IE | Barca Pro | SnagIt
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby soniajane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:05 am

Hi Eric :)

Thanks for the reply. I can't shut Poco down before switching because it's automatic. If my main wireless service drops (which keeps happening at the moment), the second one takes over.
soniajane
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:19 am

soniajane wrote:Hi Eric :)
Thanks for the reply.
You're welcome. ;)
I can't shut Poco down before switching because it's automatic. If my main wireless service drops (which keeps happening at the moment), the second one takes over.
Damn, that's a bummer. :?
So no possibility to test it out?
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby soniajane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:28 am

Well, I can switch networks manually and shut Poco down between switches.

But it's a tricky one - because it doesn't happen each time I switch how would I know if it would have done it or not? So far tonight, I've switched 5 or 6 times with no problems. I would guess that when I'm travelling it happens maybe one time in 20 or 25 connections - not often enough to be predictable. It's just that it happened three times earlier today which finally drove me to ask about it here.
soniajane
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 am

soniajane wrote:Well, I can switch networks manually and shut Poco down between switches.
That's a way to know for sure.
But it's a tricky one - because it doesn't happen each time I switch how would I know if it would have done it or not? So far tonight, I've switched 5 or 6 times with no problems. I would guess that when I'm travelling it happens maybe one time in 20 or 25 connections - not often enough to be predictable. It's just that it happened three times earlier today which finally drove me to ask about it here.
Perhaps there's more to it. Could be some problem with the connection or on the server, since you didn't always experience this problem?
Let's see what it gives when running Poco for some time, but closing each time when switching.

Keep me informed. ;)
Eric
Resident Poster

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To