[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca on two PCs and synchronisation question.

Barca on two PCs and synchronisation question.

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Barca on two PCs and synchronisation question.

Postby flynt06 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:31 am

I have a desk PC and a laptop PC. Only my laptop currently has Barca installed.

Because I sometimes don't use the laptop and use the desktop instead, what I really want is to install Barca on both machines and for them to both be up to date with email, diary, contacts etc. My general data directories on each machine are synchronised because I use Safe Sync from Trend Micro. (Similar to Drop Box I believe). For those that are not familiar with that, when I update a file or create a new file on one PC, within a few minutes the other has it too via an internet upload/download. Both machines are thus synchronised in addition to the data being backed up on the Safe Sync servers.

Is it possible to Install Barca on both machines and locate the relevant email etc data in a folder that is synchronised on both machines. Or is there another way of synchronising two installs of Barca?

I hope I explained myself ok. :-)
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Re: Barca on two PCs and synchronisation question.

Postby Tomas » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:02 am

Yes that should work, basically you can sync any data except .ini files (though if needed some should be safe to be synced, what's not better be synced is any ini file that contains paths to local folders)

To locate data folders select from menu Help > Email support > Email support and look for the AppPath= and MailboxRoot= (though you can sync other folders too - addresses,....)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 pm

I have two installs of PocoMail (Barca should be similar). When I install PocoMail I make sure I put the data folder separate from the program files. I sync the data folder between the two installs.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby flynt06 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:33 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be trying the install and synchronisation this week and will let you know how I get on.
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby flynt06 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:23 pm

I'm a little nervous ;-)

The data all seems to be currently located in:

/Documents and settings/user/application data/barca/

Looking at what is contained in the Barca folder there are a good number of .ini files. Given what Tomas said about such files is it ok for me to simply sync the current folder in it's entirety across the two PCs?
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:18 am

Everything in that folder can be synced.

It goes without saying, make sure you have a backup just in case.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby flynt06 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Mmmm? I think I have a problem.

I backed up the data using Barca's own backup feature. I also copied the data in the documents and settings folder. I then deleted Barca from my laptop. I then installed Barca to my desktop and during the install changed the data location to my custom location. this location is the one synced by Safe Sync to both PCs. Having completed the install I then ran a restore using the backup file from my Laptop that I had saved elsewhere on my network.

The trouble is that it all looks OK except that the Sent folder has all the messages but only as headers. No message content or attachments.

Help!!!
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby flynt06 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:49 am

Hi again,

I just ran 'Restore' again and the missing stuff is back. Phew!

All I have to do now is check that the synchronisation is working properly.

I'll keep you posted.
flynt06
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Phew! Glad you got it working again.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Return to Barca Help and How-To