[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMail Backup

PocoMail Backup

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby robin » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:40 am

canary_jules wrote:I've got the same problem. I moved from Poco to Barca and have not so far been able to backup in Barca. I get the same message about lack of space and am desperate to sort it out. Any more leads on this one? I mailed support and they said they thought an update could sort it out - which is fine except I have the latest version of Barca.

Jules
How did you "move from Poco to Barca", Jules?" Install over the top, backup and restore or...?
robin

Postby canary_jules » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:59 pm

It was a fresh install of Barca on a clean drive. I had saved my old Poco info to CD and then imported that into Barca. So I have all my old emails, contacts etc in Barca - it's just that Barca won't backup whatever I do. :x
canary_jules
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:41 pm

Aha! - copying or restoring files from CD results in them being write protected, which may be part of the problem that you are seeing if you did not reset the protection.

I was put onto a utility at www.davidcrowell.com which will reset the write protect for all the files in a folder. Try that and let us know.
robin

Postby mikecarey » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:06 pm

robin wrote:Aha! - copying or restoring files from CD results in them being write protected, which may be part of the problem that you are seeing if you did not reset the protection.

I was put onto a utility at www.davidcrowell.com which will reset the write protect for all the files in a folder. Try that and let us know.

Robin, have you read my first two posts in this thread? ;-)
Mike Carey
mikecarey
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:20 pm

I've seen them, not sure that jules has though, or he (she?) hasn't made the connection with restore from CD because that wasn't in their original post.

I also wrote this post.
robin

Postby canary_jules » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:50 am

Thanks for the tip guys. I tried the utility and it still doesn't back up. Went through every folder and found none to be read only. Same message about lack of space when attempting to back up. Back to square one as they say!

Jules
canary_jules
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:01 am

Hi Jules, I'd like to try and help you (that's one reason that we are here :) ); what are the Automatic backup settings in Tools -> Options -> General Options ?
robin

Postby canary_jules » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:53 am

Appreciate the help. Barca is set to backup to g:\drjulianscott\mailbackup . I have tried setting this to various folders on my C: drive but to no avail. My G: drive has 80Gb free. Barca is set to autobackup every 5 times and retain back up mailbox copy while compressing is selected. Backup skins is not selected.

Jules
canary_jules
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:21 am

How did you set the backup path? Did you browse to it using the "folder" button on the right, or did you type it in by hand. If the latter, what happens if you browse to it?

Is there anything in that directory at the moment?

Presumably you're using the File | Backup and Restore | Backup... menu item to do that backup?

Back to the Read-only attribute. Can you check something for me? Open explorer to the backup location. Choose the "Details" file listing from the View menu, then right click on one of the column headings and check the entry called "Attributes" - this lists the attributes for each file, usually something like ACR; A = archive, C = compressed, R = readonly. Then look at the listings of the files in your backup location and let us know.

One last thought for now - you don't have quota management set for this drive do you? Is the G: drive you refer to a local drive or on a network server? If on a server has the administrator set your quota?

Let us know?
robin

Postby canary_jules » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:51 am

Hi. Answers to the above are:
1. I browsed to the mail backup directory.
2. Yes there are files and folders in the directory. In fact, the list of folders in explorer cascades down, repeating itself in the following format: barca.bak; mail; barca.bak; mail; barca.bak; mail... ad infinitum. This must happen when Barca tries to back up - it must create a new directory on top of the existing one.
3. All the files in the back up directory are 'A' - Archive.
4. My G drive is local and not networked.

Hope my answers make sense!

Thanks again.

Jules
canary_jules
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:30 am

Hi Jules - thanks for that. I understand all your answers; whether they make sense, however, is another question!

canary_jules wrote:2. Yes there are files and folders in the directory. In fact, the list of folders in explorer cascades down, repeating itself in the following format: barca.bak; mail; barca.bak; mail; barca.bak; mail... ad infinitum. This must happen when Barca tries to back up - it must create a new directory on top of the existing one.
I think that the problem lies here - if it is creating an ad-infinitum folder structure eventually it will reach the point where Windows (and I assume XP) won't go any further - which may be why it is falling out with a diskspace error: this is Poco's best guess at the error returned by the OS.

When you said that you tried it on C:, try that again and see if you get the same recurring folder structure please.

Now, I am really guessing because I have no idea why this is happening, but:

Run the disk-checker on G:. Recurring folders might be indicative of a problem with the disc.

Delete all the barca.bak\mail\barca.bak\mail.... for the whole folder. If you are afraid of losing all your data without a backup, you can literally drag and drop the whole of the Barca folder and put it somewhere else (even a CD).

Do you have a mailbox called "mail"? And what happens if you rename it to something else?

Try opening the barca.ini file in the barca directory and delete the line called "BackupDir=" and everything in the line. Then recreate it from within Barca.

Good luck!
robin

Postby robin » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:14 am

I might be able to shed further light on this one....I find that from time-to-time when using Barca (but it is valid for PocoMail too) the preview pane goes blank apart from some of the headers. The only way to solve this problem is to close Barca and re-start it.

Experimentation had told me that this happens when the .mbx file (the database with the contents of the messages) becomes unavailable to Barca - I think that if you are clicking quickly between messages Barca opens the file to read the message then tries to open it again but fails the second time: this results in a blank preview pane except for some of the headers.

Anyway, this just happened to me while I was perusing the Sent folder. So I closed Barca and by coincidence this was the time that it was scheduled to do a backup - which it went and did before stopping with "Backup failed ... please check available space at..." - the file that it had stopped at in the backup notification box (the one that tells you which file is being backed up) was the sent folder (send.mbx).

I have done some further investigation and found that if I open a mailbox file with an external program that locks the file, then run a backup, the backup will fail at that file and with the same message.

The conclusion is that the message that PocoMail is giving is wrong - the problem is not one of disc space but that it can't open the file that it wants to back up.

So if you get this message I recommend first noting the file that it has stopped at, shutting Barca down and restarting it, then doing a manual backup before doing anything else.

Jules - this doesn't fully answer your questions but can I suggest that you look at the folder structure in your Mail directory (not your backup directory) and check that this does not have the duplicated folders?
robin

Postby canary_jules » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:16 am

Would you believe it? Nearly three years on and I have the same old problem again! Can't for the life of me remember how I managed to solve it originally - but I did manage to get Barca to back up onto my secondary hard drive. Now I have upgraded to Barca 2 on a Windows Vista system I copied the folders across to a new hard disc. But I cannot backup because wherever I ask Barca to backup to it gives me the same old error message about lack of space. The folder structure goes on ad infinitum as it did do in the past. I notice that the backup process always fails at a file called 'Dr J Scott.adu'. I have tried various things including deleting the mail folder, the adu file, the backup folders, but nothing is working. I checked for read only settings and everything is fine. I ran the utility suggested earlier in the thread and it found 0 read only files. Amazing! Any one got a solution?
canary_jules
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:55 am

What for a backup folder do you use? I would recommend to test with a short one like this:

C:\barcabkp\
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby canary_jules » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:37 am

Hi, I was saving to a folder in My Documents, but I tried your suggestion and I'm afraid it didn't work. However, I have at last managed to get Barca to backup. I can't get Barca to backup on the same hard drive that it is installed on, but I can backup to my secondary hard drive! I remember now that that is how I got round the problem three years ago. Crazy!!! Does this make sense? Does anyone know why this should be?
canary_jules
Drop-in Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To