[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMail Future?

PocoMail Future?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Re: PocoMail Future?

Postby Fueler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:28 am

finding_mcflappy wrote:
After a successful mail import into Thunderbird I'm checking for errors and checking out functionality, if I find that it's not enough I'll look at Postbox, which I understand can just pick up Thunderbird's mail directly.

I never figured out how to get poco stuff into TB. How did you do it?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fueler
Frequent Visitor

Postby finding_mcflappy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:35 am

Fueler wrote:I never figured out how to get poco stuff into TB. How did you do it?

It was easy, if a little laborious. Take a look at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Migration under the "Specific programs" section then look under "Barca and/or Pocomail" that explains it all.

Basically you need to extract each mailbox from Poco individually in Netscape format and then use the import add-on for Thunderbird on this site: http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html to import each mailbox. Worked perfectly first time for me.

Alternatively, I also looked at Aid4Mail http://www.aid4mail.com/ which does all sorts of nice things and speeds up the export from Poco but for what they are charging for a full license is crazy if you ask me especially as it's probably something you'd only use once, although you can get a cheaper version that lasts for two weeks. I think you can export from Poco to Outlook with this as well.

Hope this helps...
finding_mcflappy
Poco Tourist

Postby tribble » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm

I too, have finally given up on Pocomail/Barca. I've been here since the early betas. Even with a pm from Slaven (about a year ago now (hard to tell since they disabled the PM's on here!!!)), there's just been no status. For the time being, I switched to a Mac and use "Mail", for MacOSX. But there is an up and comer out there for the client-side email. It's MailForge. I'm not recommending this product, at least not yet but I purchased a license and I am watching to see what happens with the next release.

MailForge is an attempt to replace EUDORA, from the ground up. Quite an ambitious project but they are making progress.

Otherwise, it's all webmail. I don't even like to type that out I loathe webmail so much!

I've been lurking here for well over a year, waiting for any news, from Slaven or Jim. But alas, it's Eric and Tomas trying to keep this ship afloat it seems.

Good luck folks!
Gene
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby finding_mcflappy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:09 pm

I too, have finally given up on Pocomail/Barca.

I know there are plenty of people clutching stoically at Poco and I can understand why, I am pained to have to change myself, but to paraphrase Woody Allen:

"A software product, I think is like a shark. It has to constantly move forward or it dies. And I think what we got on our hands is a dead shark."

As I think someone else has said already - when the developer loses interest - the project is doomed.

.....keep this ship afloat it seems.

Too late I fear, Poco sleeps with the fishes...
Last edited by finding_mcflappy on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
finding_mcflappy
Poco Tourist

Postby Gleason Pace » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:10 am

@Mailforge. It doesn't even load my folder list from Fastmail. No, I wouldn't pay hopeful money for a client that won't do that much. Although I have done that for a lot of clients over the years. My verdict on that effort: The overall quality of an email client will never be higher than what the author first makes available. What you are seeing is a snapshot of what he thinks is acceptable. That won't change.
Gleason Pace
Frequent Visitor

Postby flashfox » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Whenever I ask Slaven on Twitter why he doesn't post anything to his followers over here, he responds that he doesn't have enough time.

Hmm... so he has time to post on Twitter but not to say anything to his loyal followers. He did say on Twitter that there will be a PM5. However, the fact that he refuses to post anything over here kind of lets me wonder about the seriousness of his statement. Also, if you look at PSI's website and try hyperlink to the resellers, you will see that a large number of those are dead links.

Look, I don't now what is really happening at PSI, but if the author was serious about the future of PM5, would he not >> at least << take a few short minutes to post something over here? Telling me that he doesn't have time while reading his Twitter posts is very disappointing.

This is NOT how you reward followers... this is NOT customer service (pity)

PM5 and BARCA are some of the best E-mail applications around. Unfortunately. I had to switch to Outlook 2010 and quite honestly, it works pretty well. Sure, I paid ~$100 for it... but I would have also been glad to pay that to PSI if they had something new. I still use Barca on my Netbook and so does my wife, but I switched to OL2010.
AMD Phenom-II X6 1090T BE | ASUS M3N78-EM | 4096 MB (Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4GR) | nVidia GEFORCE GTX460 | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x86 SP1 | BOSE Companion-5 (USB) | SAMSUNG SyncMaster 245BW (24", 1900 x 1200) | Bright House 40/5 Cable Modem.
flashfox
New Arrival

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:40 pm

I just spent time playing with Claws Mail. I like it, has a lot of features I would use and some that could replace some of what I use in PocoMail. It even has a few features I wish PocoMail had and does some things even better, but it still comes up short as a replacement.

PocoMail works for me and that is what counts. So until it stops working for me I will stay with PocoMail.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby finding_mcflappy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:38 pm

chrisretusn wrote:PocoMail works for me and that is what counts. So until it stops working for me I will stay with PocoMail.

And that's the point isn't it? It either works for you or not and if you're happy then fine.

I've been mulling this over for a while also, but decided that the line has to be drawn somewhere. The lack of development I can just about forgive, the lack of information and communication in recent years is shameful no matter how good the product is.
finding_mcflappy
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:38 pm

finding_mcflappy wrote:The lack of development I can just about forgive, the lack of information and communication in recent years is shameful no matter how good the product is.

I do wish there was a bit more coming out of Poco Systems.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby flashfox » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:49 pm

Hmm... I wonder why my posts are not showing here?
AMD Phenom-II X6 1090T BE | ASUS M3N78-EM | 4096 MB (Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4GR) | nVidia GEFORCE GTX460 | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x86 SP1 | BOSE Companion-5 (USB) | SAMSUNG SyncMaster 245BW (24", 1900 x 1200) | Bright House 40/5 Cable Modem.
flashfox
New Arrival

Postby pairofhearts » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 am

Very disheartening, on April 7/11 it will be two years since anything has happened! :roll:

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:57 pm Post subject:
The beta is now over, the latest build is now posted at http://www.pocosystems.com - thanks for helping us get it out!!
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:56 am

flashfox wrote:Hmm... I wonder why my posts are not showing here?
Sorry, had to approve your post. :?
Wonder why the forum software did that? :shock:
Win 7 | KIS 2012 | SUPERAntispyware | SandBoxie | ShadowProtect
Browsers: Opera & IE | Barca Pro | SnagIt
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby finding_mcflappy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:03 pm

flashfox wrote:Whenever I ask Slaven on Twitter why he doesn't post anything to his followers over here, he responds that he doesn't have enough time.

Hmmmm, a lame excuse to say the least - more like no interest it seems. Poco users have always struck me as loyal and enthusiastic - deserving of much better than the shabby treatment of late.
finding_mcflappy
Poco Tourist

Postby davidg80 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:37 am

It is a great shame about Poco. I have been hanging on and checking here in the hope that there might be a new version but it seems that that is now a forlorn hope. I don't know why he doesn't sell it or give it to someone prepared to develop it further.

For myself I need to find a better program and the only one that comes into the frame is The Bat but I don't particularly like it, however it does perform better and they are actively supporting it with a new version due out soon which is a complete re-write.

Quite simple to transfer across but laborious in that you have to manually set up your file structure then just importing direct from Poco's folders using The Bat UNIX mailbox import to each individual folder.
Regards

David
davidg80
Frequent Visitor

Postby blakelyg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:04 am

davidg80 wrote:It is a great shame about Poco. I have been hanging on and checking here in the hope that there might be a new version but it seems that that is now a forlorn hope. I don't know why he doesn't sell it or give it to someone prepared to develop it further.

For myself I need to find a better program and the only one that comes into the frame is The Bat but I don't particularly like it, however it does perform better and they are actively supporting it with a new version due out soon which is a complete re-write.

Quite simple to transfer across but laborious in that you have to manually set up your file structure then just importing direct from Poco's folders using The Bat UNIX mailbox import to each individual folder.

Hmmm I do not know about the Bat being a complete rewrite, they have released another release candidate as well as an update to their current version - yesterday Mar 25 - a major rewrite to be sure . They certainly have issues with their product as well (yes I am a registered Bat owner as well) IMAP being a big one as well as many HTML display issues and crashes as well though those are not as serious (IMHO).
As for the Future of Pocomail/Barca, you could be right. Slaven is very active on twitter and even has a site on Posterous (I follow this site as it is quite informative), where he is blogging there mainly about Tablets (Ipad - Xoom) and smart phone applications (Android and Apple mainly). Not sure what that means.
There is lots of discussion here but mainly on this topic. There is also discussion/support of some sort over at Rosecity Web Site for the users of Courier Mail when they went with Pocomail client. I must admit it is different to say the least the approach that Pocsystems has taken. Not saying it is good or bad. I am not as upset as some are with the lack of information and in fact can sympathize with them. I feel that I have gotten my money's worth (and still am) with Poco (not Barca as I use a different tool for that sort of thing). I still log on here and still look for solutions to some of the issues that plaque me. The support of Eric, Tomas, Robin and others has been great. Maybe that is support that should be provided by Pocosystems, but if others want to take it on and they know the product as well as these guys do and can fix most of the problems with tips and work arounds then great. Not for me to complain about this support model. There are lots of products that have a support model that is mainly based on forums, and not a formalized support system. Pososystem has both.
Anyway enough said on this subject.

--
Gord
blakelyg
Resident Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion