[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMail Future?

PocoMail Future?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Re: PocoMail Future?

Postby blakelyg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:10 am

tonnelier wrote:I'm using version 4.5.0.3910, preferring it to 4.8. In the past if I clicked Check for Update, 4.8 was offered. Now if I click CforU, the message is "No Update available". Curiouser and curiouser... Or not?

That is very interesting - not sure what to make of that - maybe someone else can help shed some light on that. Do you have a copy of 4.8 somewhere to install if necessary?
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby tonnelier » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:28 am

blakelyg wrote:
tonnelier wrote:I'm using version 4.5.0.3910, preferring it to 4.8. In the past if I clicked Check for Update, 4.8 was offered. Now if I click CforU, the message is "No Update available". Curiouser and curiouser... Or not?

That is very interesting - not sure what to make of that - maybe someone else can help shed some light on that. Do you have a copy of 4.8 somewhere to install if necessary?

If necessary, yes . As you say, hopefully someone can shed light on the No Update Available msg...
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Postby carladave » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:35 pm

flashfox wrote:Whenever I ask Slaven on Twitter why he doesn't post anything to his followers over here, he responds that he doesn't have enough time.

Hmm... so he has time to post on Twitter but not to say anything to his loyal followers. He did say on Twitter that there will be a PM5. However, the fact that he refuses to post anything over here kind of lets me wonder about the seriousness of his statement. Also, if you look at PSI's website and try hyperlink to the resellers, you will see that a large number of those are dead links.

I suppose this is what disappoints me the most: the run around that we keep getting about Poco/Barca's future. I'm actually content with using Barca Pro right now because it meets my current needs. But I'm very disappointed at PSI for the lack of info regarding the future. It seems obvious to me that things are dying and no one is admitting it. It's like asking a politician a question and getting the run around. This is what will make me switch to another product if I decide to. Not a bad product, but bad communication.

Dave
KJV 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
carladave
Drop-in Visitor

Postby DaveP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:20 am

blakelyg wrote: but why has something appeared on several files sites - including Major Geeks and others -

Who knows? Last year Majorgeeks also indicated the same incorrect Pocomail update. Today Majorgeeks is showing an update for VLC to 1.1.8, which was released and posted at least a month ago.

edit: Majorgeeks just updated VLC to 1.1.9
DaveP
Poco Tourist

Postby blakelyg » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:18 pm

davidg80 wrote:Thanks for the heads up but I to have reverted to the earlier version.

Having been involved with beta testing security s/w for several years I am aware it is difficult to release perfect programs. Most often bugs appear that were not evident in testing.

Would love to know if there was a further release of Poco - it is by far my preferred email client

You and I are not the only ones that have reverted to a previous version, I am sure that being a beta tester you monitor The Bat beta discussion list and they appear to have started a new beta with the same version as the released version (different build) to correct the "inconsistencies" in the current released version. I thought the users here were tough - reading some of the comments there just shows how good the users are here and caring about the product improving - boy it just goes to show you that while Poco may not be perfect and may not even meet the current needs of many existing users, at least the program works. Yes the Bat has active development but they release a product before it was properly finished and "broke" many of the things that worked before. (and this is not the first time they have done that either).
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby pavol » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:30 pm

The strategy of NOT engaging with clients makes it very difficult to justify further use of this program. I believe that the authors should really consider their position in terms either developing further the program ( such features as Calendar in Barca is very useful !) or eventually open-sourcing some modules or the whole product. Looking at many successful products having some kind of open source version usually helps the sales in all cases, and I am sure that some sort of innovative approaches could be found to balance between hassle to compile Open Source and having a fully supported installable product.
pavol
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Gleason Pace » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:57 am

]Looking at many successful products having some kind of open source version usually helps the sales in all cases,

You mean like Eudora and Mulberry? My experience is that, if a commercial product has a problem, open source won't solve it. Solve the problem first,
then if you have a high quality product, take it open source if that fits your philosophy.
Gleason Pace
Frequent Visitor

Postby pavol » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:09 am

Gleason Pace wrote:
]Looking at many successful products having some kind of open source version usually helps the sales in all cases,

You mean like Eudora and Mulberry? My experience is that, if a commercial product has a problem, open source won't solve it. Solve the problem first,
then if you have a high quality product, take it open source if that fits your philosophy.

I was not thinking about any particular software. I am using shared calendar in Barca Pro, it has some problems, which need fixing. Open Source would solve the problem for me, because I would be able potentially to solve the problem for me or let somebody else to do it.
pavol
Drop-in Visitor

Postby alcalde » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:40 am

Gleason Pace wrote:My experience is that, if a commercial product has a problem, open source won't solve it.

Pocomail's problem is that its development's been stagnant for years. Actually letting other developers work on it would certainly fix that problem. If Pocosystems really intends to sell another version some day :roll: then let them sell an "enhanced" version of the open source version (like Jasper Reports, Pentaho BI Suite, etc. - "freemium") and/or charge for commercial use. That way the open source community will provide a new code base for PSI to work off of and would actually be able to provide support and bug fixes for current users. And if a new PSI version of Pocomail never materializes (the safe money bet) users will have finally seen Pocomail able to move forward, support become available (fixes, open bug tracker, etc.).

If the software's defunct but still being offered for sale for the small revenues it continues to bring in (also the safe bet), perhaps those still using Pocomail should chip in and offer to buy the code and end the charade, then open source it. Again, PSI is free to produce a "premium" version for sale if they wish in the future. Everybody wins.
alcalde
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Gleason Pace » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:57 am

That way the open source community will provide a new code base for PSI to work off of and would actually be able to provide support and bug fixes for current users. And if a new PSI version of Pocomail never materializes (the safe money bet) users will have finally seen Pocomail able to move forward, support become available (fixes, open bug tracker, etc.).

That certainly was what people had in mind when Eudora and Mulberry went open source. For an email client with high hopes that started as open source, look at Mahogany. These hopes haven't materializes. Part of the problem being that the world these days prefers webmail and forums for most messaging. Unless some noble soul has some compelling interest (other than financial, or being noticed) in working on one of them, there isn't much future for any of them.

If the software's defunct but still being offered for sale for the small revenues it continues to bring in (also the safe bet), perhaps those still using Pocomail should chip in and offer to buy the code and end the charade, then open source it. Again, PSI is free to produce a "premium" version for sale if they wish in the future. Everybody wins.

The situation isn't so simple any more since the arrival of Rose City Software on the scene.
Gleason Pace
Frequent Visitor

Postby yotsume » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:59 am

So is the further development of Pocomail dead or not???

Paying customers deserve an answer.... don't ya think!
Yotsume
yotsume
Drop-in Visitor

Postby blakelyg » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:24 am

yotsume wrote:So is the further development of Pocomail dead or not???

Paying customers deserve an answer.... don't ya think!

Of course they do. The problem is that the developer appears to have moved on to other things and does not frequent these forums very often. The Admins on this forum are in an awkward position and I feel they should not not be addressing this issue in any definitive answer.
You can use Twitter and tweet the developer yourself (as has been done in the past with limited success). I have been very careful to keep the developers name out of my posts - in regard to this issue - but it is relatively easy to obtain. Another possible avenue for you to pursue is to head over to Rose City Software (an apparent distributor for Pocomail) and ask your question on that forum. Should you have to go through all that to find out what should be a relatively easy post - for the developer - of course not. There has been lots of discussion here about this very question with no definitive answer to this question.

If you have some issues that you need to have addressed post them here and I am sure the admins or someone else will be only too happy to help.

Sorry could not provide any more useful information.
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby blakelyg » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:42 am

Eric wrote:
Tomas wrote:
Fritz Wagner wrote:I feel that it does no good for Eric or anyone else to suggest that PocoMail has a future.

IMHO it's all about what we see under "future". If it's "it will exist and occasionally be updated" then yes I firmly believe in that.
What I don't believe in is that it will suddenly change to a racehorse and see an update every month.
That's exactly what I meant, when I posted that Tomas.
However not in such comprehensive sentences. :|

IMHO I firmly believe there will be a next version, although I don't wan't put pressure on Slaven.
I've seen it happen over and over again when software was rushed out, because people were putting pressure on development.
Afterwards it starts raining complaints about how buggy the software really is.
Better quality then quantity, so I'll wait patiently. :)

Hi Eric, you wrote this way back in January and there has not been anything since then on any kind of status or whether the product is being developed and there is active work being done on it etc. I am not sure if you are in active communication with Slaven or not but there have been several issues with the license keys not being accepted and access to the help desk, so I am hoping that you have had a chance to chat with Slaven (somehow) and maybe can give us some sort of update as to purchase questions (I could not check for what upgrade I am entitled to - based on my current product) and the help desk availability and maybe even any kind of development status.
I realize that maybe you do not have the answers, but with long time members (see the post in General section) now bailing ship, it seems to me that current owners deserve some sort of announcement (one way or another), either on the Pocosystems web site or even via PM here.
Hopefully something will be forthcoming and while it is not your responsibility, you and the others mods are about the only indication that there is any activity and are in fact the front line to access to the developer(s).
Course this is only my opinion and is FWIW.

Gord
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby alcalde » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:15 am

And don't forget the longest-running vaporware joke, Duke Nukem Forever (12 years in development!) just shipped a few days ago. The unthinkable has happened and DNF beat Pocomail to a release! :lol:
alcalde
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Gord,
blakelyg wrote:Hi Eric, you wrote this way back in January and there has not been anything since then on any kind of status or whether the product is being developed and there is active work being done on it etc. I am not sure if you are in active communication with Slaven or not but there have been several issues with the license keys not being accepted and access to the help desk, so I am hoping that you have had a chance to chat with Slaven (somehow) and maybe can give us some sort of update as to purchase questions (I could not check for what upgrade I am entitled to - based on my current product) and the help desk availability and maybe even any kind of development status.
I'm not in active communication with Slaven and nor did I hear anything from him lately.
As said before I really hope Slaven will make an announcement of what has been going on lately.
Until such announcement is made, I suggest you to put your purchase on hold.

For now I don't have a clue about the future of Poco Systems. Is it abandonned or still in active development?
It's however not good to let customers in the cold.
I really would appreciate an answer from Slaven, whether good or bad. :)
I realize that maybe you do not have the answers, but with long time members (see the post in General section) now bailing ship, it seems to me that current owners deserve some sort of announcement (one way or another), either on the Pocosystems web site or even via PM here.
I see it all the time and I agree fully with your statement. :?
Hopefully something will be forthcoming and while it is not your responsibility, you and the others mods are about the only indication that there is any activity and are in fact the front line to access to the developer(s).
Course this is only my opinion and is FWIW.
While we may have access to Poco Systems, that doesn't mean we have inside information.
We tested alpha's and beta's, but we never received more information about future plans.
I'm sure Robin will agree with me on that.

If by the end of this month no announcement is made, I will send an email to Slaven to ask about what's going on.
It's simply not done to current owners, members and nor to us moderators. :evil:

I've spend a lot of time on this forum and will continue to do in the future, if there's one. :roll:
The least we can expect is an announcement and by that I don't mean promises, but in fact to the point.
I'm tired, saddened of reading all those negative topics and members bailing ship.

I'll keep you all informed about any response I may receive from Slaven, but I would prefer he would do it himself.
For now I'm quite busy at work and at home.
Good night to you all. ;)
Win 7 | KIS 2012 | SUPERAntispyware | SandBoxie | ShadowProtect
Browsers: Opera & IE | Barca Pro | SnagIt
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
Eric
Resident Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion