[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Exchange functionality (IMAP)

Exchange functionality (IMAP)

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Exchange functionality (IMAP)

Postby infiniti » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:58 am

Hi,

I've just read a review of Barca which apparently allows connectivity to exchange server. Being stuck with Outlook i've been searching for something a little less cumbersome and promptly downloaded Barca. Now am i being really thick or does it not do this? If so how?!?!

Many thanks

Infiniti
infiniti
New Arrival

Postby robin » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:41 am

Wrong impression I'm afraid. It doesn't allow *connectivity* with Exchange server, what it does do is allow you to exchange appointments (maybe tasks) with Exchange users by e-mail (I use it with my wife at work so I can send her appointments). Seems to work quite well but with a few quirks that need ironing out.
robin

Re: Exchange functionality

Postby Alpha » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:02 pm

infiniti wrote:Hi,

I've just read a review of Barca which apparently allows connectivity to exchange server. Being stuck with Outlook i've been searching for something a little less cumbersome and promptly downloaded Barca. Now am i being really thick or does it not do this? If so how?!?!
Infiniti

Can point us to the review so we can better understand the context? Perhaps you can provide more information. Whether Barca will work with an email system on an exchange server depends on how the Sysadmin for the Exchange server sets things up. For example, I have seen Barca being used with an IMAP account on an Exchange server. The setup was just like that of any other IMAP account. In the old forum, other users have used Barca with Exchange server. I believe Redmak (?) is one of them.

I suggest talking to your Sysadmin to see if anything can de done, but I doubt Barca will ever work as well as Outlook in an Exchange environment.
Alpha

Postby infiniti » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:49 pm

Yeh it's in the August issue of .net magazine. They review the beta and the phrase 'The program supports POP, IMAP, SMTP together with NNTP for news servers, and it can also be configured to work with an Exchange server.'

Oh well nevermind. If it can't be done no problem. Thanks for the help though - much appreciated.
infiniti
New Arrival

Re: Exchange functionality

Postby robin » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:19 pm

Alpha wrote:Whether Barca will work with an email system on an exchange server depends on how the Sysadmin for the Exchange server sets things up. For example, I have seen Barca being used with an IMAP account on an Exchange server. The setup was just like that of any other IMAP account. In the old forum, other users have used Barca with Exchange server. I believe Redmak (?) is one of them.
I had assumed that infiniti was thinking of making the calendaring and scheduling side of it work with the Exchange server, rather than the IMAP side. Alpha - is it the case that IMAP *could* work (depending on the settings) but the calendaring / scheduling does not?
robin

Postby infiniti » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:15 pm

Robin - to be honest my motivation is to find a rather less 'clunky' alternative to Outlook that can be used at work - hence my hopes for Barca as what from what i've seen it looks a nice choice.
infiniti
New Arrival

Postby robin » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:21 pm

infiniti wrote:Robin - to be honest my motivation is to find a rather less 'clunky' alternative to Outlook that can be used at work - hence my hopes for Barca as what from what i've seen it looks a nice choice.
Which bits are you hoping to see though - just the mail, or integrate the scheduling functions?
robin

Postby infiniti » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:23 pm

I'm not overly worried about the scheduling side - more mail to be honest. I suppose if thats the case Exchange can be configured to allow IMap access?
infiniti
New Arrival

Postby robin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:50 am

Then I guess it should be. Unfortunately at this point I can't help you any further - I don't use IMAP or Exchange. There are others who can so I hope at this point that someone else can come by....

[I've modified the name of the thread to include IMAP since that is the way the thread is going]
robin

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:31 am

infiniti wrote:I'm not overly worried about the scheduling side - more mail to be honest. I suppose if thats the case Exchange can be configured to allow IMap access?

Yes it can, but only the Sysadmin of the Exchange server can do this. You could alsos search here http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows. As a clarification, Barca's scheduling does not use nor need Exchange server.
Alpha

Postby COD » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:24 am

I used Poco with an Exchange server for years with Pop3. Never had a problem, never had to do anything funky with the set up. I thought Exchange (unless you have a circa 98 install) supported POP3 and IMAP out of the box.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:46 am

COD wrote:I used Poco with an Exchange server for years with Pop3. Never had a problem, never had to do anything funky with the set up. I thought Exchange (unless you have a circa 98 install) supported POP3 and IMAP out of the box.

Infinniti,

As per the above quote, perhaps you can send a private message to COD to see if he can be of assistance to you.
Alpha

Return to Barca Help and How-To