[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - On event

On event

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

On event

Postby blakelyg » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:56 am

Is there a problem (or maybe a trick) to getting the events to happen. I am setting up a very basic event that on start up runs a single filter which u design at that time. Basically I have it set up to check mail that is more than a week old and to delete it, for a specific mailbox only. Everything seems to be set fine, in fact when I set the filter manually it works properly.

Hope I am explaining it properly. Am I doing something wrong?
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby frazmi » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:05 am

From what I can tell, you are using the OnStart event to run a specific filter, which runs as intended when run manually, but which fails to run at startup.

Assuming that when you create the event you select "Run this filter" and then custom-design the filter in the Event dialog box, you should not have a problem. This should work.

I'd suggest some quick debugging.

1) Try displaying a short message instead of running the filter. This will tell you if events are firing at all when you start Poco.

2) Try a different action instead of delete. For example, play a sound or move the message to a mailbox. This will tell you if any messages are matching your criteria.

3) Try a different date criterion. Perhaps you are using date received. Try date sent, and set the criteria for one month ago.

Basically, my advice is "I think you're on the right track. Experiment a little."
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby blakelyg » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:42 am

Assuming that when you create the event you select "Run this filter" and then custom-design the filter in the Event dialog box, you should not have a problem. This should work.

Actually I did try doing the custom design filter first and it did not work, I then did a filter and it did work when run manually but not when run with the on Start event.

Good suggestions.I will try other actions to see if they fire when Poco is started and let you know.

Thanks
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby frazmi » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:09 pm

Given that you are not using the custom filter defined in the OnStart event, then I suspect that the filter order is causing you grief. (I believe OnStart tries to run all filters in the group.) You could try moving your filter to the top of the filter list.

Also, you could try moving your filter to one of the manual filters (1-4), and then cause the OnStart event to process the manual filters.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby blakelyg » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:23 pm

Tried that and all the other sugesstions earlier and no go, it is as though the On event (startup) is not working. Any other suggestions.

G
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby frazmi » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:49 pm

If you have tried the idea to display a text message at program start, and that does not work, then I'm not sure what to say. I can say that OnStart works OK on my Poco 3.1 system. (You are using PocoMail v3.1, right?)

Do any events work? Like OnAdd?

You could try a clean Poco installation to a new directory. Don't import anything. See if OnStart works then.

Also, look through all your event definitions. I vaguely remember having a problem with events where I had defined 2 events that were conflicting.

Here's another thought: how are you starting Poco? To the tray or as full window? I start to full window, BTW.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby blakelyg » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:47 am

I tried to open another application with the Onstart event and it worked fine. Then I found this on Michaels site

In addition to the /r startup switch described below, Poco 3 has an "OnStartup" event. Unfortunately there is a bug in all builds up to and including 1655 which prevents scripts from being run in response to this event.

taken from Michaels POCO Faq's at:

http://www.jdfsoftware.com/pocofaq/poco-runningascriptatstartup.html

This I would think (running scripts and filters from the Onstart event)is more the problem. So I would think this is still an issue in build 1880.

G
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:18 pm

blakelyg wrote:I tried to open another application with the Onstart event and it worked fine. Then I found this on Michaels site

In addition to the /r startup switch described below, Poco 3 has an "OnStartup" event. Unfortunately there is a bug in all builds up to and including 1655 which prevents scripts from being run in response to this event.

taken from Michaels POCO Faq's at:

http://www.jdfsoftware.com/pocofaq/poco-runningascriptatstartup.html

This I would think (running scripts and filters from the Onstart event)is more the problem. So I would think this is still an issue in build 1880.

G

I just tested running a script via the OnStartup event and it is working fine under 1880.

PS: Use the url in my post to get to the FAQ article, blakelyg accidentally put the trailing "l" outside the url link tag so his link doesn't work.
Michael

Re: On event

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:22 pm

blakelyg wrote:Is there a problem (or maybe a trick) to getting the events to happen. I am setting up a very basic event that on start up runs a single filter which u design at that time. Basically I have it set up to check mail that is more than a week old and to delete it, for a specific mailbox only. Everything seems to be set fine, in fact when I set the filter manually it works properly.

Hope I am explaining it properly. Am I doing something wrong?

What are you trying to do here, delete all mail that is more than a week old from a mailbox? If so then this cannot be done at this time as the scripting engine currently only has access to a single message, not all messages within the mailbox. What you might be able to do is to delete any unread message from the server that is older than a week (I haven't tested this myself).

PS: If anyone is interested in a method for running a script against multiple messages accumulating the results please post to the scripts forum and I'll explain how to do this.
Michael

Postby blakelyg » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:58 pm

Yeah something like that, however it doesn't work with Filters or scripts that I can see (at least not at my end) even something as simple as popping up a message box.

Thanks for changing the URL and for your assistance. I will keep trying and let you know how things go.
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby frazmi » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:31 pm

I'd still suggest a clean install somewhere to see if you can get current Poco build to recognize the OnStart event on your system. If OnStart works, you have a baseline to start with. If OnStart does not work, then I'd suggest downloading the latest version of Poco (even if you just did it) and trying a clean install again.

If after all that, the OnStart event still does not fire (i.e., with a completely vanilla installation), you might think about a bug report.

Are you using Windows XP Home Edition? (Just wondering.)
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To