[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail as Default Mail Program in Windows 7 (64bit)

Pocomail as Default Mail Program in Windows 7 (64bit)

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pocomail as Default Mail Program in Windows 7 (64bit)

Postby jdbrunt5 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:45 am

I have tried to set up Pocomail as my default mail program in Windows Default Programs but it does not show up in the list of programs on the left side of the "Set your default programs" page. I would appreciate learning how to get Pocomail to show up in this listing.
Thanks in advance.
jdbrunt5
New Arrival

Re: Pocomail as Default Mail Program in Windows 7 (64bit)

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:04 am

Hi jdbrunt5 & welcome to Poco Forums, :D

Have you tried to run Poco as Administrator?
Set it as default and it will show up, as it did with my Barca Pro. :D

Hope it will work for you too. ;)
Win 7 | KIS 2012 | SUPERAntispyware | SandBoxie | ShadowProtect
Browsers: Opera & IE | Barca Pro | SnagIt
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby jdbrunt5 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:09 am

Hi Eric,
Thanks for your reply. How do I set Pocomail up as Administrator? I'm the Administrator for Windows OS but what you describe is new to me.
jdbrunt5
New Arrival

Postby djgtram » Mon May 30, 2011 11:36 am

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. The installer should do its homework, I mentioned it in another thread more than a year ago... :-( It's clearly documented at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd203067 what contemporary Windows versions expect from a Net application like PocoMail.
djgtram
Resident Poster

Postby ente » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:06 am

Hello jdbrunt5
in case your problem is not yet solved - go and look at an answer I got from kevtech sometime last year to a post I had started called "What must I do...". Copy that text into a editor, name that file txt.reg and save it to some folder. Then change into the explorer, search for that file and select open with and there use the microsoft registry editor. After a few seconds you ought to get a message saying that the import was successfull. And then - the next time you click within Firefox on a email address, Pocomail will open a new mail and you will find that the address you had clicked on is alredy in the to: field.
In case you had tried other things before (like using the fix somebody else had placed in the forum, which caused changes to the registry, it might be necessary to make use of regedit first and delete all entries mentioning "poco" (I had to do this). Then make use of the file in the way described above and Firefox will make use of Pocomail as its email client.
sincerely, ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 am

jdbrunt5 wrote:Thanks for your reply. How do I set Pocomail up as Administrator? I'm the Administrator for Windows OS but what you describe is new to me.
Seems something did go wrong here, since I didn't receive notice about your post needing approval. :?
If you need to run Poco as Administrator you'll need to right-click on the Poco program and run as Administrator.
That's all. :wink:
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby jdbrunt5 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:46 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I set Pocomail as Administrator as Eric suggested and it seems to have worked. I've noted the other suggestions in case my new setup doesn't work. Thanks again.
jdbrunt5
jdbrunt5
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Glad it worked jdbrunt5 ;)
Have a nice weekend. :D
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby djgtram » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:09 am

Eric,

this is still not the real end, you still need something like this (with the path corrected as necessary, of course):

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Pocomail\Protocols]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Pocomail\Protocols\mailto]
@="URL:MailTo Protocol"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000002
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Pocomail\Protocols\mailto\DefaultIcon]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Internet\\Pocomail\\Pocomail.exe\",3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Pocomail\Protocols\mailto\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Pocomail\Protocols\mailto\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Pocomail\Protocols\mailto\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Internet\\Pocomail\\Pocomail.exe\" \"%1\""
djgtram
Resident Poster

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To