[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Junk mail and domain exceptions?

Junk mail and domain exceptions?

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Junk mail and domain exceptions?

Postby speerga » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:06 am

Is there any way to add a domain, rather than just one email address, to the "exceptions" text for "allowed senders"?

I have a filter set up to send all email to a given address, "myname@mydomain.com," unless the sender is in my address book.

Of course I immediately discovered that the email addresses from my own 26 other accounts are NOT in my own address book -- so if I send email to this "myname@domain.com" address (OK, it's actually my wife's account, so maybe I should say "hername@mydomain.com") from any of my other accounts, it goes to the junk mailbox.

Rather than adding all 26 accounts to my address book, it would be cool to set up a second step to the filter using the "%exceptions%" variable. But that simply means adding all 26 accounts one by one to the "exceptions" list.

So is there no way to just put a domain in my "exceptions" list, perhaps listing it as "*@mydomain.com," so that any email from a sender at mydomain.com would be automatically allowed?

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:46 am

Yes, you can do this. Find a message from the domain you want to allow, right click on the from address in the mailbox index pane and select "Junk Mail Filtering | Allow Domain".
Michael

Postby speerga » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:56 am

Michael wrote:Yes, you can do this. Find a message from the domain you want to allow, right click on the from address in the mailbox index pane and select "Junk Mail Filtering | Allow Domain".

I assume, then, that if I simply add the domains manually with a text editor to the "exceptsenders.txt" file it'll work, too?

So I added my domains to that text file. I have a filter set with two parts:

1. the first part filters the "hername@domain.com" email and looks at "from" for "%addressbook%" and if that's not found, it sends the email to the junkmail folder.
2. the second part is an "or" statement following the above and is set up to do the same thing on the "from" field using the "%exceptsenders%" value.

It works like a charm for the first part, but only works the second part if the entire, specific email address is in the "exceptsenders.txt" file. If only a domain is in that list, the filter doesn't seem to recognize it.

But if the filter is set up to work on the "%exceptsenders%" value, shouldn't it work with full email addresses AND domains in the list??

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:36 am

This is strange, I thought the ExceptSenders portion would recognize just a domain. Unfortunately I don't have time to test this right now, if I remember I'll do a test later.
Michael

Postby speerga » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:00 am

I'm adding comments to this thread in hopes somebody from Pocosystems might see it and advise whether or how to make the "allow doman" feature work.

I once again have Pocomail's Junk Mail Filters set. I even created the filter suggested to me above in this thread, which filters out my most-spammed email address by sending everything to "Junk Mail" EXCEPT those people 1) in my address book, and, 2) on the "allowed senders" list.

The catch is this: It works perfectly UNLESS there's just a domain rather than a specific email address in the "allowed senders" list.

Whether I add the domain directly to the "allowed senders" manually with a text editor or by right-clicking on a domain within Pocomail, the filter I created simply won't recognize a domain on that list. It will only recognize complete email addresses on the "allowed senders" list.

So what's the deal?? It would be a terrific function to simply allow or ban a domain -- and it works as a great function on other pieces of software I have.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for me? My filter is set up as follows:

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby speerga » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:32 am

OK. Seems as though I may be talking to myself in this thread. :lol:

But here's what I've tried and discovered further: If an email address is in my address book, the filter works.

But if I send email to the one being filtered from an address which isn't in the address book -- it won't work, even if the address and/or domain are in the "allowed senders" list.

So I think the second half of the filter, targeting "allowed senders" simply isn't working.

Why would that be? Have I set it up wrong? I thought the "or" statement would do it?

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:30 pm

speerga wrote:Have I set it up wrong? I thought the "or" statement would do it?

Actually you do want "and" rather than "or". When negating a phrase like "(A=1) OR (B=2)" you need to negate the comparison operator and invert the boolean operation that joins them, i.e., "(A<>1) AND (B<>2)". In your case the positive form would be:

From in address book OR From in ExceptSendersList so the negative is:
From not in address book AND from not in ExceptSendersList.

Postby speerga » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:Actually you do want "and" rather than "or". When negating a phrase like "(A=1) OR (B=2)" you need to negate the comparison operator and invert the boolean operation that joins them, i.e., "(A<>1) AND (B<>2)". In your case the positive form would be:

From in address book OR From in ExceptSendersList so the negative is:
From not in address book AND from not in ExceptSendersList.

Thank you SO MUCH! I love it when I can find answers at these forums. I appreciate that explanation. Being deficient ( :lol: ) in both formal logic and any sort of computer programming, it never occurred to me that I should use "and" instead of "or." When you restated what the filter actually was saying/doing the way I had it, I could see you were right, of course.

I did that, and it seems to be working. Yawn! It's too late to fiddle around with it much tonight/this morning, but I'll run a few more test emails to it and through it tomorrow to be sure.

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To