[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Strange Problems Win 7 64bit [Resolved]

Strange Problems Win 7 64bit [Resolved]

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Strange Problems Win 7 64bit [Resolved]

Postby chae » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi Yah,

Been a long time since I had to post anything on here, can't seem to work this two problems out.

Barca 2.8.0.4400

Had a hard drive go a month or so back, so decided to upgrade from the previous version of Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1 installed. Loaded Barca on from scratch using the recommended settings for folders etc (loaded with admin writes). Copied across mail folders, calendar, addresses from backup. Worked no problem until the last few days, the problems I'm having is...

The accounts I have setup are configured to poll the mail servers every xx minutes, this has work flawlessly for years & years, now it has stopped for no apparent reason, I have to manually do a check mail for the software to retrieve it. I have checked, double checked & triple checked all the account that the "quick links -> check mail" is ticked & that each individual account has Check This Account when Checking Email plus "Check For New Email" xx mins.

I've uninstalled Barca several times now, reinstalled as above, and the same thing happening.

When I close Barca down & then start it up again, it will then automatically check all accounts after that I have to do it manually

The next problem I have is that when I send any image file as an attachment or embedded in an email it gets corrupted at the senders end, if I check my sent folder the image is fine, when the receipient receives it it's corrupt, like lines through it or looks like a half loaded image. Now the funny part is it's only images larger than 640 x 480, anything 640 & smaller goes through okay & they can see them fine, anything larger - corrupt.

I've tested this myself by sending myself several images of varying sizes and same problem as my recipients.

I thought okay then it maybe down to my Anti-Virus when scanning outgoing email, I was using AVG, removed AVG installed another AV, same thing on both accounts no checking automatically & corrupt images, tried three different anti-virus packages and all same results.

I'm not sure if it's down to the Win7 64Bit Service Pack 1 install which happened a few days ago or if it's Win7 itself ?

I have Zone Alarm as a firewall and that's it !!!

Any light on the subject would be grateful, many thanks in advance

Chae
chae
Frequent Visitor

Re: Strange Problems Win 7 64bit

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Chae,
chae wrote:The accounts I have setup are configured to poll the mail servers every xx minutes, this has work flawlessly for years & years, now it has stopped for no apparent reason, I have to manually do a check mail for the software to retrieve it. I have checked, double checked & triple checked all the account that the "quick links -> check mail" is ticked & that each individual account has Check This Account when Checking Email plus "Check For New Email" xx mins.
:idea: Have you actually checked that you're online.
File > Online operation.
Verify that it's checked.
The next problem I have is that when I send any image file as an attachment or embedded in an email it gets corrupted at the senders end, if I check my sent folder the image is fine, when the receipient receives it it's corrupt, like lines through it or looks like a half loaded image. Now the funny part is it's only images larger than 640 x 480, anything 640 & smaller goes through okay & they can see them fine, anything larger - corrupt.
Can't think of anything. :?
Maybe it's your ISP's protection who corrupts those images to prevent spam.
You could always zip those images or better upload them online and only send them the link.

Difficult to know what's causing this behaviour, although I'm pretty sure Barca not the faulty one here.

Perhaps trying it with another client will give proof that it's not local. :wink:
Win 7 | KIS 2012 | SUPERAntispyware | SandBoxie | ShadowProtect
Browsers: Opera & IE | Barca Pro | SnagIt
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby chae » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi Yah,

Yes connected full time with high speed broadband, yes have tried thunderbird sending attachments and it works fine :)
chae
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:42 am

chae wrote:Yes connected full time with high speed broadband, yes have tried thunderbird sending attachments and it works fine :)
Weird :shock:
Never seen it happen here.
Needs more investigation on your part, since I can't help you with that.
Sorry. ;)
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby chae » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:43 pm

I've done more testing with the following email clients...

Thunderbird, Windows Live and Em Client

What I did was set up an account on each of the new clients, I then sent an email with a 1024 x 768 attachment from the new email clients.
Opened up Barca & checked mail, all attachments came through as expected and not a mark on them.
I then sent an email again with the same image attached from Barca to myself and received the email in Barca corrupt.

As mentioned prior anything attached more than 800 x 600 gets corrupted, this doesn't happen with any other email client I'm afraid.

Running Windows Ultimate 64 Bit with service pack 1 installed.
Have uninstalled and reinstalled Barca several times using default settings.

Really at a loss here, I do graphics and web design work & need to be able to send through hi-res images, I don't want to keep FTP'ing stuff onto web site for customer to review
chae
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:24 am

chae wrote:I've done more testing with the following email clients...

Really at a loss here, I do graphics and web design work & need to be able to send through hi-res images, I don't want to keep FTP'ing stuff onto web site for customer to review
Pretty strange why it's getting corrupted.
I'm running Windows 7 Home - 64 bit version and I don't experience problems with it. :?
Could you send a test image to me?
I'll let you know if it come through corrupted or not.
Also I'll experiment some more later at home.

Till soon. ;)

~ Removed email address since it's no longer needed ~
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby chae » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 am

Two test emails just being sent through, both have different images. One as an attachment and the other embedded...
chae
Frequent Visitor

Postby chae » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:11 am

I cc'd myself in on the 2nd email just to verify again and here's a copy of the image with corruption...

chae
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:09 am

chae wrote:I cc'd myself in on the 2nd email just to verify again and here's a copy of the image with corruption...
Thanks for sending those images.

Here are the ones I received.

Seems to have the same corruption.

However I also downloaded those images onto my smartphone and it shows the same corruption. :?

Could you please send me those original images in a zip-file?

As such I can test it myself here to see if I get the same results when sending it to myself.

TIA ;)
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby chae » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Yah Eric,

Zip file on it's way
chae
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Received it, but unfortunately corrupted.

From the Google image (little size) the one embedded is fine, the one attached is corrupted. :?
Did the same test and both images got through just fine.

See also the messages I've sent you. ;)
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby chae » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Problem Solved

After quite a few emails to & fro with Eric, the culprit to all my problems ended up being ZoneAlarm.

Removing Zonealarm thoroughly, cleaning up the registry, optimizing it, tidying up old files & cache, then restarting solved the file corruption problem.

Removing the two main Barca ini files then recreating the email accounts also helped the auto load issue.

Now using Private Firewall 7.0 & so far so good, cool I get to keep using Barca.

Thanks a million Eric :)
chae
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:58 pm

chae wrote:Now using Private Firewall 7.0 & so far so good, cool I get to keep using Barca.
It's a very nice firewall and besides that it's free.
It's also in constant development. 8)
Thanks a million Eric :)
My utmost pleasure Chae.
Glad you can enjoy Barca once again. :)
Eric
Resident Poster

Return to Barca Help and How-To