[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail update

Pocomail update

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Re: Pocomail update

Postby finding_mcflappy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:17 am

Slaven,

Sad but not unexpected. Like many around here I've been a Poco user for a very long time and remember how bloody wonderful I thought it was when I first set eyes on it all those years ago. Truly truly sorry to see it go, but it sounds like it was lucky to be going this long. This sounds like a dignified exit to me, my best to you and yours.....

Bob
finding_mcflappy
Poco Tourist

Postby Slaven » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:40 pm

djgtram wrote:Slaven, what would your opinion be about moving to C# and .NET? It would certainly need rewriting many parts nearly from scratch but on the other hand, the much more sophisticated runtime libraries would help the effort tremendously. Not to mention that many things you mention (HTML, spell check, Unicode, scripting engines, whatnot) are already written and beg to be used. And that platform will stay for some time to come. I'd seriously consider participating. I still have your e-mail address lying around somewhere if you think it's worth a couple of letters...

Bye,
Gábor

Hi Gabor - an interesting idea! You have to understand that my skill in C# and .NET is pretty non-existent so I couldn't help with pretty much any of the heavy lifting. I wonder if there is a framework that tries to move Delphi projects to .NET? I do agree with you that C# would be a lot more stable platform for Pocomail, too bad it wasn't around when Poco got started! That said, the rewrite definitely wouldn't be trivial.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Slaven » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:43 pm

SMessier wrote:Hi Slaven,

That's really unfortunate news -- I don't quite remember how long I've been using Poco/Barca and while it's not quite as long as many here, it has been many years. I've looked at other clients during that time, but nothing ever came close to Poco. When the faster search was introduced it really managed to incorporate everything I wanted/needed. Even now I'm not sure I see anything else out there that I'd rather use.

I know I'd be keen on another round of beta for 4.9 if the day comes, and wish you and your family best of luck for the future. And thanks again for a great email/calendar client.

Seb

Thank you Seb! I will keep you guys updated through the forums on what happens to 4.9 beta, hope we get it out.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Slaven » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:46 pm

finding_mcflappy wrote:Slaven,

Sad but not unexpected. Like many around here I've been a Poco user for a very long time and remember how bloody wonderful I thought it was when I first set eyes on it all those years ago. Truly truly sorry to see it go, but it sounds like it was lucky to be going this long. This sounds like a dignified exit to me, my best to you and yours.....

Bob

Thanks Bob, it's amazing how many people stuck with Poco since the early days, considering the fickle world of computers - we did have a good run there!
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby djgtram » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:19 pm

Slaven wrote:Hi Gabor - an interesting idea! You have to understand that my skill in C# and .NET is pretty non-existent so I couldn't help with pretty much any of the heavy lifting. I wonder if there is a framework that tries to move Delphi projects to .NET? I do agree with you that C# would be a lot more stable platform for Pocomail, too bad it wasn't around when Poco got started! That said, the rewrite definitely wouldn't be trivial.

I don't think there is any framework and even if there were, it wouldn't be a good idea. Anything like that would be a huge compromise that, although surely would help in the first days but would remain a serious hindrance later on. Language is a language is a language, if you think it's worth a try, it wouldn't take more than a couple of weeks for you to get momentum. .NET presents no real challenges for an experienced programmer like you and you'll soon enjoy all the ready-made and bundled libraries. Besides, if really necessary, there is Delphi.NET, too. DLLs can be written in separate environments as well and can co-operate seamlessly. But even then, unifying the language would have its benefits. Pascal was and remained my favorite language of all times but I never liked what Borland had done to it in Delphi, so I, somewhat reluctantly, but moved on. But seriously, the differences are minimal, mostly small syntactic differences like begin-end vs. {}, and vs. &&. No big deal.
djgtram
Resident Poster

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:42 am

WOW, sad news indeed. I also understand and want to thank you for developing the almost perfect email program. (Nothing is perfect, but PocoMail comes pretty darn close in my book.)

I would definitely be interested in a .NET version should that ever come to fruition. I use Linux almost exclusively and prefer the Mono environment over Wine any day.

At any rate, this won't deter me from continuing to use PocoMail. It is still the best product around in my humble opinion, even running under wine in Linux.

Best of luck to you and your further endeavors.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Slaven » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:30 am

chrisretusn wrote:WOW, sad news indeed. I also understand and want to thank you for developing the almost perfect email program. (Nothing is perfect, but PocoMail comes pretty darn close in my book.)

I would definitely be interested in a .NET version should that ever come to fruition. I use Linux almost exclusively and prefer the Mono environment over Wine any day.

At any rate, this won't deter me from continuing to use PocoMail. It is still the best product around in my humble opinion, even running under wine in Linux.

Best of luck to you and your further endeavors.

Thanks Chris!

Re .NET and Gabor's comments: there is a lot of complexity in there that on paper should translate well but reality might be different. For example, I started with some off the shelf TCP/IP libraries but over the years I pretty much re-implemented IMAP, POP3 and SMTP as I found so many bugs in the commercial libraries. Still, it might be worth looking at!
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby djgtram » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:25 pm

But of course, everything is different in reality. Where would be the fun of it without that? :lol:
djgtram
Resident Poster

So sorry!

Postby Penintel56 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello Slaven!
Thank you for the pleasure you gave us with Pocomail and Barca! I am an old man, but learnt e-mailing and using your software for free-lance jobs, and I simply loved it! I tried a lot of mail-clients, and yours were definitely the best! And the community very friendly!
I DO understand, though, that you cannot go on up to now, and I will be prepared to join again, should you turn up with anything else!
All the best to you, and thanks you again!
Pierre
Pierre
Penintel56
Poco Tourist

Postby Slaven » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:20 am

djgtram wrote:But of course, everything is different in reality. Where would be the fun of it without that? :lol:

That is true! :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Re: So sorry!

Postby Slaven » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:21 am

Penintel56 wrote:Hello Slaven!
Thank you for the pleasure you gave us with Pocomail and Barca! I am an old man, but learnt e-mailing and using your software for free-lance jobs, and I simply loved it! I tried a lot of mail-clients, and yours were definitely the best! And the community very friendly!
I DO understand, though, that you cannot go on up to now, and I will be prepared to join again, should you turn up with anything else!
All the best to you, and thanks you again!
Pierre

Thanks Pierre, I think the community is the main reason Pocomail last as long as it has!
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby imtrobin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Other than proper unicode, I think Pocomail works great as it is. Sad now, I have switch to DreamMail.
imtrobin
Frequent Visitor

Postby jibse » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Hello,

I am trying Pocomail since about a week. It works perfectly on my Windows 7 64 bits. I like it very much after trying many others. When I downloaded it, I was surprised that the last update was in 2009. Of course it is dissuasive. I am not a business man, but I think that it is probably the reason because it's not enough popular. Yet, it will be easy to do some little changes, from time to time, just for giving impression that the product is up to date. I observe that some others software have this strategy (version 5.3.128, version 5.3.129, etc.). Even to correct small bugs. That takes the cake that we prefer a product constantly corrected rather than a well finished product !

Please Slaven, change your mind.

I have a question about Pocomail (installed on my laptop) : I have several accounts and several locations (home/office/elsewhere). Different connections for one account. What is the best solution to avoid changing each time the outgoing smtp server ? I found one software (Becky Internet Mail) that give the possibility to switch easily between profiles. In Pocomail, I imagine this solution : a button to switch between several smtp servers for all accounts and, inside the configuration of each account, the possibility to choose between the common smtp server and a specific smtp server. I met many consultants who encountered this problem of smtp when travelling.

Thanks in advance.
I do hope you will reconsider your position.
Best regards
jibse
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:40 pm

jibse wrote: I am not a business man, but I think that it is probably the reason because it's not enough popular.

That's true, with frequent updates there would be more sales. But the business side of the reasons is not that Pocomail wasn't enough popular, but more due to the market for Windows email clients in overall (email use decreasing, Gmail gaining, cloud and sync demands, Thunderbird for free, Outlook for corporations, MacOS and new platforms like iPAd/iPhone on rise,...)

jibse wrote:I have a question about Pocomail (installed on my laptop) : I have several accounts and several locations (home/office/elsewhere). Different connections for one account. What is the best solution to avoid changing each time the outgoing smtp server ? I found one software (Becky Internet Mail) that give the possibility to switch easily between profiles. In Pocomail, I imagine this solution : a button to switch between several smtp servers for all accounts and, inside the configuration of each account, the possibility to choose between the common smtp server and a specific smtp server. I met many consultants who encountered this problem of smtp when travelling.

I'll reply here but if more questions or a follow-up needed please open new topic, so as we are not diverting too off-topic here.
If you frequently switch smtp, delete smtp server from each of your email account configurations, then use menu Tools > Options, Sending Mail/Default Server. There you can setup the smtp servers you will be using. Then you can switch to different one just by going there and selecting it from the drop-down list. It only works for accounts which have the smtp server field blank.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby jibse » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:28 pm

jibse wrote:That's true, with frequent updates there would be more sales. But the business side of the reasons is not that Pocomail wasn't enough popular, but more due to the market for Windows email clients in overall (email use decreasing, Gmail gaining, cloud and sync demands, Thunderbird for free, Outlook for corporations, MacOS and new platforms like iPAd/iPhone on rise,...)

So, we have to pay a little bit more. There will be always a demand for email clients. For example, Windows Live Mail is new, and not as good as Pocomail in my opinion.

jibse wrote:If you frequently switch smtp, delete smtp server from each of your email account configurations, then use menu Tools > Options, Sending Mail/Default Server. There you can setup the smtp servers you will be using. Then you can switch to different one just by going there and selecting it from the drop-down list. It only works for accounts which have the smtp server field blank.

Sorry, because I already found the answer here. Because I switch every day between home and office, I will happy to have a little dropdown list in the tools bar to do that.

Is there a little hope that Pocomail does not die at the end of this year ?
jibse
New Arrival

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion