[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail update

Pocomail update

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Re: Pocomail update

Postby Tomas » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:25 pm

I have posted about Outlook export in the Thank you thread.

Open-sourcing is IMHO very unlikely. 1) Pocomail uses commercial modules that couldn't be used in open source project, ie. third party modules. 2) Pocomail is developed in Delphi. I have watched some Delphi programs being open sourced in the past and it didn't work, IMHO Delphi and open source doesn't go together (one thing is Delphi is not free software either).

As for the color coding, this is a quick background, hopefully correct: color coding aka marks is stored in the index file, thus it will not be easily exported. Pocoscript it seems can't read marking, can only assing marking. I have checked filters and filters can search for "marked as".
So one possible way to handle this would be to find out how your new program implements marking. Eg. it might store it as a custom message header, that would be easiest. In such case you could then run manual filters on each folder where if certain mark is found for a message, it would add appropriate custom header to that message that the target email program could recognize. That's just very raw way / general idea on how to possibly approach this.

I'm also assuming that Thunderbird is lightweight compared to Pocomail, and that Outlook may in fact be the only choice for someone who uses email the way I do.

That all depends on your needs etc.. Thunderbird is quite able email client, it also has many add-ons etc. Maybe also check EmClient and Postbox (based on Thunderbird).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby juror56 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:42 am

In light of Slaven's recent announcement I guess it's finally time to move on. Once again I've been jilted. First it was Calypso/Courier, and now PocoMail that has become abandonware. So after all these years, it is time to say goodbye. But it is a bit like saying goodbye to an old friend who is about to pass on. It has been a hard decision.

Thanks, Slaven, for a fine program. I'm spoiled. The features, power, and ease of use you built into this program make finding a suitable replacement hard. I've tried many of the non-Outlook programs out there and haven't been entirely satisfied with any of them. It would have been nice if you could have kept PM going, but I understand the realities of the software world these days. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Thanks, also, to Eric and Tomas for keeping the forums going, answering questions, putting out fires, and generally babysitting the children here. Your presence and help here has been invaluable.

After trying just about everything available, I've pretty much decided on The Bat! No, it's not perfect, but it has most of the features I have come to love about PocoMail. It turns out migrating both emails and contacts was pretty painless so I was up and running quickly.
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
juror56
Poco Tourist

Postby KevTech » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:18 pm

juror56 wrote:After trying just about everything available, I've pretty much decided on The Bat! No, it's not perfect, but it has most of the features I have come to love about PocoMail.
It turns out migrating both emails and contacts was pretty painless so I was up and running quickly.

Did you try Postbox?

One of the features I use in Pocomail is edit a stored message and to my knowledge The Bat! does not have this or at least it did not the last time I tried the program.

Postbox has edit stored messages capability and migrating to Postbox was real easy as well although I have not decided yet if I will purchase.

If I do I will wait and see if they have a holiday sale soon.
KevTech
Poco Tourist

Postby KevTech » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:35 am

Slaven wrote:I will continue hosting the download and the forum, and will continue support for 6 months after we stop selling it.

Could you please fix the skins download?
KevTech
Poco Tourist

Postby mcmaxim » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:44 am

Dear Slaven & Co.

I just registered to this forum for one reason: to say a big big thank you for all the great job you have done. Actually, I just reinstalled my system and I was wondering if there is any new version of Pocomail released recently as 4.8 seemed to be quite vintage by now. Not seeing anything on the website I decided to visit this forum and... Ah, well... Seems that time to move on approaches very quickly... I've been using your program for many, many years, I would say like 10 or so, and never liked any other, I never perceived anything more intuitive and easy to use. I also had never any issues with Pocomail which would need any assistance - that's why I never registered to the forum before.

I really, really hope that you will revive the project in some foreseable future. By then, I will try to use PM for as long as it will be suitable, as it is really hard to change to something new after so many years (I'm still with W.XP ;) ). I will be coming to this place every then and after to check if the project moves on.

Lots of greetings and regards,
»mcmaxim«
mcmaxim
New Arrival

Postby robin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Hi all, I've not been around on the Poco Forums for a while but Eric brought this thread to my attention. I'd just like to add that I understand why Slaven has taken this difficult decision - I believe that one of life's strengths is to know when to stop and that this is that point for PocoMail.

It's been fun to be around PocoMail and in my own little way to actually influence the design of the current version. I'll continue to use it for as long as possible but the post that PocMail still runs under Win 8 is encouraging.

I wish everyone the very best - also for Christmas and the New Year.

Robin
robin
Administrator

Postby Penintel56 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks Robin!
So we sahll be able to run Poco under W8. That's a great piece of information!
I understand Slaven's decision, but I wish to thank Tomas and Eric, who made such a nice atmosphere for us, simple users!
A very happy Christmas time and New Year from Brittany!
Pierre
Pierre
Penintel56
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:42 am

Penintel56 wrote:Thanks Robin!
So we sahll be able to run Poco under W8. That's a great piece of information!
I understand Slaven's decision, but I wish to thank Tomas and Eric, who made such a nice atmosphere for us, simple users!
A very happy Christmas time and New Year from Brittany!
Pierre
Now I haven't tried it, but a post from blakelyg on the first page of this thread suggests that it runs OK. Please check that post out - and don't shoot me or blakelyg if there are problems down the line, Win8 is not final yet.

Robin
robin
Administrator

Postby Penintel56 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 am

No problem! Even though I am a wild Celt, I'm not THAT aggressive!
All the best for the Winter season!
Pierre
Pierre
Penintel56
Poco Tourist

Postby MAL » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:45 pm

A shame that PocoMail seems to be coming to an end, development-wise.

HOWEVER, I seriously hope we can continue to use the current version and/or the new beta regardless of what Windows throws at us.
It would be quite the blow to give up on my email client for the past 10 years. I tried many, many others, but keep coming back to PocoMail. It just works for me the way I want it to (well, except the lack of proper Chinese characters display! :D )

I will have to be forced at gun-point to switch to a different email client, and will most likely NOT upgrade OS just to continue to use PocoMail in the future....
MAL
Drop-in Visitor

Postby KevTech » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:39 am

I was going to ask if I could still upgrade for a reduced price from Pocomail to Barca but it seems I am a day or two late. :cry:
KevTech
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 am

KevTech wrote:I was going to ask if I could still upgrade for a reduced price from Pocomail to Barca but it seems I am a day or two late. :cry:

Please contact support through menu Help > Email support.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby KevTech » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 am

Tomas wrote:Please contact support through menu Help > Email support.

Thank you for your help Tomas.
KevTech
Poco Tourist

Postby tribble » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Slaven,

All's been said that I could say so I'll just say thanks! It's been a blast, from Version 1 to the present, and every beta in between. As with all things, the end is inevitable.

Best of luck to Tomas, Robin and Eric also!

Regards,

Gene
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Thanks Gene
robin
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion