[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Webmail - UGH!

Webmail - UGH!

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Webmail - UGH!

Postby DaveP » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:10 am

I have been forced to use webmail for the last few days while my laptop with the Pocomail installation was being repaired. I played with Gmail, Windows Live and (for my business mail) Bell Webhosting Webmail6. I have to say that web based mail is highly over rated. Give me Pocomail any day of the week. I've been using Pocomail for ten years now and hope to continue using it as long as I can.
DaveP
Poco Tourist

Re: Webmail - UGH!

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:08 am

I couldn't agree more about that webmail.
I love to work with Barca Pro and will continue to do so.
However I'm always experimenting with other clients, but none does give me the same pleasure as using PSI's email clients. :(

As for webmail I use Gmail too, but I don't trust it enough.
I do have problems with their privacy terms.

If it's sold to another company, what happens with the private information from those users.
Or if their privacy changes all of a sudden. :roll:

No, not for me. I'll be using a local email client on which I can count.
Don't like that cloud stuff. :lol:
Win 7 | KIS 2012 | SUPERAntispyware | SandBoxie | ShadowProtect
Browsers: Opera & IE | Barca Pro | SnagIt
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
Eric
Resident Poster

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Another in agreement, Webmail -UGH!!!

I recently accepted an appointment to a position on an organization I belong too. It came with a Yahoo! Mail account. I feel like I have both hands tied behind my back when using it. Love my PocoMail.

I am looking in to replacements, so far coming up blank. There is always something missing.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby NZRussell » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Sad to say I don't believe there will ever be a satisfactory replacement and no matter how you try to find one. Simply put, no one else does it so well.
NZRussell
Poco Tourist

Postby PhiloVance » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:25 am

I actually like webmail; not just any service like Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail, but I pay for Fastmail and use their web interface with little or no trouble. I used to use Pocomail (which is why I subscribed to this forum years ago), and still have version 3.4 on my computer at home. I use it for specialized sending and receiving but use the Fastmail interface for most all of my emails. They offer storage also which you can access via IMAP or WEBDAV along with the email.

I've used pay programs such as The Bat and Pocomail, Free ones such as Eudora, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. but found all of them wanting.

Since I have a job and I can't install anything on the work computer, I can access my email and storage files any time I want. If I find something at work that interests me, I can just provide a link in Fastmail and look at it at home.

Sometimes it pays to look around, the link for Fastmail is http://www.fastmail.fm
PhiloVance
New Arrival

Return to General Discussion