[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Postby benny » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 am

Hi

I am the first poster after about two years. This forum looks totally deserted. I am amazed by the fact that there is no activity whatsoever.

Is someone still using Pocomail/Barca?

Is the development of Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Any chance that the code will be released as open source?

Thanks
benny
New Arrival

Re: Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:39 pm

Forum has been down/off for quite some time.

There are no news on the development side I'm sorry.

There is little to no chance that it will be released as open source, it depends on many third party libraries that are not open source.
(IMHO even if it was, it's a Delphi/Object Pascal project, as such it would stand little chance as there is insignificant open source community using these - Delphi is expensive development environment mostly used on commercial projects.)

If you are interested in more information around these please check the old threads - it has been discussed into more depth around the time development officially ceased.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby benny » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks, Tomas.

Since all the user community, it seems, has deserted Pocomail, I was wandering: which other email clients have they mostly moved to?

I have been using mostly webmail in the last few years, but now I want to move back to email clients. Too bad that Pocomail is dead. I really miss Pocomail!
benny
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:19 pm

I don't know how many deserted, since the board was off, but substantial part likely, if not more.
But then I watched communities still using way more outdated email clients than Pocomail....
I'm still using Pocomail as my main client, but also using eM Client occasionally and it's OK.
The choice is not huge, though I didn't check on email clients news for at least two years, but I'd be surprised if situation changed much, companies using Outlook, home users web interface or no email at all and moving from desktops to tablets....then you have free (ie. havily subsidized) Thunderbird...there is little reason for change in this industry.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby lian » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 pm

I'm still using Pocomail - I love it - but I think to change. I've got some problems with special characters - I'm french - and I suspect Apple users. And it seems that some company servers consider my mails as spam - difficult to see if it's because of Pocomail headers. And I thought that Pocomail did not work on Windows Seven 64 bits - but it should work as I read.

Testing different mail programs, I like for the moment EM Client. It lacks some very useful functions from Pocomail but it's clean and easy to use for the moment.
my blog (illustration, comics, SF and my work in french) : http://www.li-an.fr/blog
lian
Poco Tourist

Postby DaveP » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:58 am

It's good to see the forum back.

I still use Pocomail. It is very resource friendly and ideal for my laptops.
DaveP
Poco Tourist

Postby maiskiykot » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:03 pm

I tried use Barca many times, but all versions of this product had errors with reading/writing symbols UTF-8, Koi8-r and other. I think has died project for only problems with codebases . Sorry, but all free email managers likes all codebases. Why?
maiskiykot
New Arrival

Postby tuanton » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Tomas wrote:I don't know how many deserted, since the board was off, but substantial part likely, if not more.
But then I watched communities still using way more outdated email clients than Pocomail....
I'm still using Pocomail as my main client, but also using eM Client occasionally and it's OK.
The choice is not huge, though I didn't check on email clients news for at least two years, but I'd be surprised if situation changed much, companies using Outlook, home users web interface or no email at all and moving from desktops to tablets....then you have free (ie. havily subsidized) Thunderbird...there is little reason for change in this industry.

I still use Barca 2. Have tried many other email clients with with interfaces that can be modified - skins and particularly font sizes on the folder menus. Still use the Barca calender and though I uninstalled for some time I managed to get back an older dated version which still carried my activation code.
Like Tomas I also quite liked EMail Client but as far as I am aware the skins are quite basic and folder size not able to be increased so I can easily read.
The more I know, the less I understand
(Eagles)
tuanton
Drop-in Visitor

Postby luxor » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:58 am

I would just like to say that I'm glad the forum has resurfaced.
I gave up my regular checks at the start of the year, I thought that the wealth of information here was gone for good. :(

Anyway, thanks whoever is responsible for it returning. :)
luxor
Resident Poster

Postby NZRussell » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi there benny and welcome. It's been so long that the forums have been offline and I just can't express :D how glad I am to see them back. I've had a lot of help here over time and as I've refused to give up either Barca or Pocomail it's great to see them back online.

It will take time for previous members to find that the forums are back but hopefully, it will happen.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
NZRussell
Poco Tourist

Postby NZRussell » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:21 pm

Hullo Tomas so good to see you are still with us.
NZRussell
Poco Tourist

Postby ente » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:53 am

benny wrote:Hi

I am the first poster after about two years. This forum looks totally deserted. I am amazed by the fact that there is no activity whatsoever.

Is someone still using Pocomail/Barca?

Is the development of Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Any chance that the code will be released as open source?

Thanks

Hello Benny,

no, Pocomail and Barca are not totally dead! There is a Pocomail forum at Yahoo with quite some traffic, there somebody jumped in when the "real" Pocoforum seemed to be broken for ever! There is Russ Harvey who runs a site specializing in Pocomail http://www.russharvey.bc.ca/resources/pocomail.html and there is MarcB!!! Go and look at the script section. He wrote many wonderful scripts - and he still does.
I have not been on this page for some time after Slaven seemed to stop watching out that the page gets not broken and after realizing that the promised tiny fixes for the most annoying bugs of Pocomail when using it with Windows 7 will never materialize. :(
But today, after receiving a mail by NZRussell, telling that the forum is alive again, I was back again.
I use about three dozens of scripts for handling my daily mail traffic, some of the have been written using scripts from the script library, many of them were written by MarcB.
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby ente » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:28 am

Hello
Just to keep you informed: I wanted to let Slaven know that his Forum ist back to life and let him have an email. Well, I tried - it came back and Mailer-Daemon wrote:

Sorry, this user (slaven@pocomail.com) is out of disk space.
Because the maildir contains 52476312 bytes

No wonder that he has no time to go on with Pocomail with such a lot of letters to answer
:lol:
Nice weekend
ente
ente
Resident Poster

Postby cbiweb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:01 am

I still use PocoMail, and also glad to see the forum has returned!

So sad, though, PocoMail is the best client I've ever used, and I have found NO other client to replace it satisfactorily. It will be a sad day when it no longer works due to computer upgrade or any other reason.
cbiweb
Poco Tourist

Postby DianaZ » Sat May 03, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm another long-time Pocomail user and am glad to see I'm not the only one around!

Am glad to see that Russ Harvey site, he verified that Pocomail will run under Windows 8 so if I ever move on from Windows 7 to 8, I'll certainly take Pocomail with me.

Tried to find the Yahoo Forum someone mentioned but couldn't, does anyone have a link - or is it not worth looking for now? Probably not anymore news there than here now that this forum has resurfaced.

Diana in Germany
Diana in Germany
DianaZ
Drop-in Visitor

Next

Return to General Discussion