[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Re: Are Pocomail and Barca totally dead?

Postby imtrobin » Tue May 06, 2014 4:47 am

After trying out of many email clients, none beats pocomail. EmClient comes close, but it's god slow and lack quite of alot of small useful features. If only Pocomail handles unicode properly, then I wouldn't need to look for replacement.
imtrobin
Frequent Visitor

Postby NZRussell » Fri May 09, 2014 12:34 pm

ente wrote:Hello Benny,

no, Pocomail and Barca are not totally dead! There is a Pocomail forum at Yahoo with quite some traffic, there somebody jumped in when the "real" Pocoforum seemed to be broken for ever! There is Russ Harvey who runs a site specializing in Pocomail http://www.russharvey.bc.ca/resources/pocomail.html and there is MarcB!!! Go and look at the script section. He wrote many wonderful scripts - and he still does.
I have not been on this page for some time after Slaven seemed to stop watching out that the page gets not broken and after realizing that the promised tiny fixes for the most annoying bugs of Pocomail when using it with Windows 7 will never materialize. :(
But today, after receiving a mail by NZRussell, telling that the forum is alive again, I was back again.
I use about three dozens of scripts for handling my daily mail traffic, some of the have been written using scripts from the script library, many of them were written by MarcB.
ente

Hi Ente,

Good to see you back and when I find a bit of time I'll try and get the word out to others. I found out that the forums were back from Russ Harvey's site. Are you able to provide a link to the forum at Yahoo as I've had trouble finding it?

If anyone knows where to find MarcB it would be good to see him back as well.

I'm still running Pocomail 2.6 on Windows 7 and the only problem I'm getting is this ’ which should be this ' perhaps, one day I'll workout the reason. Using Barca as well.

Cheers,
NZRussell.
NZRussell
Poco Tourist

Postby imtrobin » Wed May 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Can anyone contact Slaven? His usual email is not working.

If he can't open source the code, how come transferring the license right to someone to continue develop. Heck, I'm willing to learn Delphi to fix the minor issues than switching email clients.
imtrobin
Frequent Visitor

Postby Slaven » Tue May 20, 2014 6:08 am

Hello everyone!

Sorry that my email no longer works, basically it was overrun by massive amounts of spam, something that even today is attacking this forum - the host wants me to upgrade the VPS it sits on because of the huge number of hits it gets. The top IPs accessing it are all comment-spamming bots. Btw, I wrote a bit about this last year: http://scriptogr.am/slaven/post/a-painf ... ole-in-all

Anyone who wants to reach me can use my first name at my last name dot com (or at gmail.com).

Many sunny hellos to all of you from Vancouver,

Slaven.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby imtrobin » Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 pm

wow, Slaven, you are still alive! Sent u email
imtrobin
Frequent Visitor

Postby jbuk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks to Russ Harvey I am checking in here again as well. Its a relief to see that there is a way of still communicating about our long lived email client !
Pocomail maybe dead but obviously its supporters are not.
We still use it here and despite the occasional unreadable email it fulfills our email needs better than any alternative I have tried.

I do have Windows 8 but have not really started using it properly so have not got any comments regarding PM and Windows8 yet.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:31 am

By chance I discovered this forum has been resurrected. I was re-looking at client choices... again. Basically Thunderbird vs Claws Mail (which I now use). Decide to see if PocoMail web site was still up.... you know... hoping it has restarted. Yep, still up, but alas still at 4.8 :( Then decided to see if the forum was still down or not. To my surprise it's back up and with new post! How I miss PocoMail....

A while back I switch over to Linux full time. I had PocoMail running in WINE for a while; that was Okay with some livable display issues. Then I decided a better solution would be to run PocoMail in a VirualBox virtual machine running XP, then Windows 7. Sadly I decided it was time to part with PocoMail and go with a client that gets updated and works in Linux. I settled with Claws Mail. It's definitely not PocoMail. It the best alternative I have found.

Claws Mail is not a simple program, it does have a learning curve, though having a PocoMail background helps. There are still features I really miss from PocoMail.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby ShyWriter » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:45 pm

*sigh*

I check back here at least once a year to see if Slavin is still alive/around and am amazed the forums are still up each time I visit.. I suppose one of these days I'll get a 404/405 when I enter the URL but I'm still keeping fingers crossed.

Don't suppose anyone ever programmed a POCO to T-BIRD MBX conversation kludge??

Cheers.. and Happy Holidays.. and feel free to wish me a Happy 71st BDay as well. *grin*

Steve / shyWriter
Feel free to add 781 posts to the number of posts shown by my avatar.. ;)
ShyWriter
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:45 am

Happy 71st! Many more to come.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Broadwood » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:43 am

Good to see that it's not quite all over... still using Poco but getting problems with W7. Had Postbox and Ritlabs recommended as other clients, can anyone suggest which might be good to gravitate to?
Whoever said the technologicl revolution would save paper?
Broadwood
Drop-in Visitor

Postby lian » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:15 am

Well, Thunderbird has changed a lot and I appreciate it - with some extensions.
my blog (illustration, comics, SF and my work in french) : http://www.li-an.fr/blog
lian
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:52 pm

I've been using Claws Mail.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby cbiweb » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:56 am

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 in October, and surprisingly PocoMail continues to work! The downside is, whether it's a Poco issue or the way email is formatted these days, HTML mail wasn't showing up properly, so I switched to The Bat a couple months ago for business related mail. I still use Poco for personal stuff. It's a testament to Slaven's good work that Poco does still function on Win8, though.
cbiweb
Poco Tourist

Postby DianaZ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:55 am

I've been using Poco in WIndows 7 for years now with few issues. Problems I have also seem to all be connected with the way some email is formatted nowadays.

One minor problem I have had: when it starts, Poco automatically checks for updates and 2 or 3 times I've gotten an error message that the check site couldn't be found. I clicked that away, Poco ran fine and next time it started, no problem.

I'm very glad to hear it runs under Win 8 but have no plans to move from Win 7. Now let's hope it runs under Win 10 or whatever MS names the next version!
Diana in Germany
DianaZ
Drop-in Visitor

Postby MAL » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Hello DianaZ,
you can disable the checking of an update by going here: Tools/Options/Advanced ...then go all the way down to: Network Settings and uncheck: "Automatically Check for Updates every 30 days".

Cheers, and WOW, I never thought I'd still be giving advice on Pocomail after all these years! :)

Liebe Gruesse,
MAL
-------------------
MAL
Drop-in Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion