[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Filter some accounts, not others

Filter some accounts, not others

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Postby FieldDir121 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:06 am

I have several e-mail accounts. Each puts mail in its own mail box.

Two accounts never get spam but I have missed a few messages that were filtered as false positives. These accounts get one time e-mails from many people. I want them all.

Is there a way I can turn off all junk mail filtering on specific mail boxes without affecting the others?
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:50 pm

Yes, add an incoming filter for each account (make sure you select the account in the "Filter message for" drop down box). Use a criteria that will always be satisfied such as "Search To for @". In the "Perform" box select "Stop processing". Put this filter before your junk mail filters (I would suggest putting it immediately before those filters in case you want to add other filters for the account in the future).
Michael

Postby FieldDir121 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:43 pm

Michael,

I created an incoming filter. I then selected a message that was considered spam earlier today (I have moved it back to the correct mail box). If I press "Run On Selected" the message is put back into the junk mail box. If I select just the stop processing filter for that mail box the message is left alone.

Is this normal? If so, why is the message moved when no filter is selected when Run On Selected is clicked?

Thank you.
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:34 pm

You know in all the years I've been using Poco I've never tried the "Run on Selected" button on a filter. I use this all the time for scripts but haven't tried it on a filter. I'm not sure why it isn't behaving as expected, are you sure the account is correct for the message (you can display the full headers and look for the "X-Account:" header).
Michael

Postby FieldDir121 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:42 pm

Michael,

I am not sure it isn't working. When I highlight the filter for that account it does leave the message alone. When the filter is not highlighted the message gets moved to the junk box. That makes me think all filters are being run on the message when no filters are highlighted and that that might happen to incoming messages.

The x-account is for that account.

I guess I will just have to watch the junk box to see if anything shows up there that is from one of the no spam accounts.
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Postby FieldDir121 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:20 am

Michael,

I think I am getting the hang of filters including multiple levels of conditions.

The account that gets the most spam also gets e-mails that do not have my address in the to: or cc:. I tried to create a filter to put those in a special mail box until I am sure it is doing what I want, then they will simply be deleted but haven't had complete success yet.

I can move messages that do not have my address in the to: or in the cc:, but I have not been able to think of a combination that will move messages when my address does not appear in either to: or cc:.

How would I say to move all messages without my e-mail address in to: or cc: to a particular mail box?

Thank you.

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:18 pm

Scott:

I would suggest creating an incoming message filter as follows:

1. In the "Filter messages for" box select the account you want this filter to be active for. You should do this so the filter will only be active for those accounts you do not get spam in.
2. In the "Search" box select "To"
3. In the "for" box enter your email address (the one that is used in the account you selected in step 1).
4. Check the "Match only if not found" box
5. Change the "then" box to "and", a 2nd set of filter criteria will appear.
6. In the 2nd "Search" box select "CC"
7. In the 2nd "for" box enter your email address (same as step 3)
8. Check the 2nd "Match only if not found" box
9. In the "Perform" box select "move message to" (it should have defaulted to this value anyway)
10. In the dropdown box below this one select the mailbox to which you want the messages moved.
Michael

Postby FieldDir121 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:43 pm

Michael,

That seems to do it, thanks.

Sometimes I find e-mails from people in my address books in the junk mailbox. Do I have to create filters to prevent that or should the automatic junk mail filter and/or bayesian filters already do that?

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Re: Filter some accounts, not others

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:44 am

FieldDir121 wrote:Michael,

That seems to do it, thanks.

Sometimes I find e-mails from people in my address books in the junk mailbox. Do I have to create filters to prevent that or should the automatic junk mail filter and/or bayesian filters already do that?

Scott

Poco's automatic junk mail filters will credit a message with a certain number of points (deducted from the junk mail score) for people whose addresses are in your address book. This helps in not having the message classified as junk but does not guarantee that it isn't. I don't think the Bayesian filters check the address book. I run a combination of both myself but many people rely solely on the bayesian method.

You could create filters to stop processing on people in your address book but at work I've found some spammers are forging addresses and so I have gotten spam that was supposedly from colleagues. This doesn't happen often though. If you do add such filters I would position them immediately before the junk mail filters.
Michael

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To