[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco without SSL

Poco without SSL

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco without SSL

Postby BobB » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:04 am

Hello All:
I have been using Pocomail since 2008. No other email client comes close in terms of features and elegance. Everything has been working same as always until last week, when I discovered connection errors on all my accounts. Trial and error and consultation w/ my hosting provider indicate that there is some mis-match with SSL credentials or protocols. I was able to get everything working again by disabling the Account Setup checkbox for 'Enable Secure Connection (SSL) for both outgoing and incoming servers.

I'm no telecom expert, but I presume the problem lies in hosting providers upgrading their SSL certificate, perhaps to a higher level security protocol. Of course, Pocomail has not enjoyed the same upgrade, which I believe most supported programs would do as a matter of keeping current.

So this brings the question of whether SSL is truly necesary for POP3 email. Certainly encryption is needed for shopping carts and sensitive documents, but for everday communications which do not contain sensitive data, maybe not. I have always regarded email as pretty-much public, and keep my content accordingly.

Anybody have comments on the continued use of Pocomail with the SSL security feature disabled?

Looking around for substitutes I found two that may be of interest:
1. Pegasus Mail http://www.pmail.com/index.htm
2. Claws-Mail http://www.claws-mail.org/index.php
BobB
New Arrival

Re: Poco without SSL

Postby Tomas » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:43 am

BobB wrote:I have always regarded email as pretty-much public, and keep my content accordingly.

That's my take too.

I'm not aware of recent developments, or detailed aspects of SSL working, just that it usually used to work in the past, eg. with Gmail.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: Poco without SSL

Postby NZRussell » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:52 pm

Have always regarded email to be about as secure as a postcard and I doubt that SSL is any real benefit. I will not accept the likes of utility accounts via email for that reason.

As for Pegasus Mail and Claws-Mail, I'm not satisfied that either will persist in the long term although they have certainly persisted so far. Have never used Claws and found Pegasus a bit hard to get into but it's still on my system. Nothing compares to either Barca or Pocomail for interface attractiveness or flexibility in my view and both work well for on Windows 7. You might find these web-pages useful in making your choices - http://www.russharvey.bc.ca/resources/pocomail.html - http://www.russharvey.bc.ca/resources/mail.html
NZRussell
Poco Tourist

Return to General Discussion