[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail Backup folder is huge!

Pocomail Backup folder is huge!

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pocomail Backup folder is huge!

Postby Hobartian » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:14 pm

I have been using Pocomail for a considerable time now and backup the program to a separate partition on my computer.' That partition is now indicating that it is nearly full due to the Pocomail Backup folder being seventy-six gigabytes in size. I have no idea why it is so huge and I would like to reduce it to a manageable size without losing my mail folders and attachments.

Could someone please advise me the best way of accomplishing this task. Thank you.
Hobartian
New Arrival

Re: Pocomail Backup folder is huge!

Postby MarkB » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:24 am

Just to cover a base, please check the size of your Pocomail data folder (not the backup folder). The default location in Windows 7 is
\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Pocomail
It's not 76 GB, I hope. :)

Try this: do a "Compress All Folders" (in Poco's Folder menu); then do a backup and check folder sizes again.

The cause of a morbidly obese backup folder is a mystery. Help states, "there is always only one last backup available." On my system, fresh backups simply overwrite previous backups, and the Pocomail.bak folder remains smaller than the Pocomal AppData folder.

If necessary, it should be safe to delete Pocomail backups and start over. Maybe do a regular system backup first, and verify that you are deleting backups, not the active data folder.

Or wait for a better answer.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby jbuk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:01 am

A few thoughts:

Are you sure that you have just one backup that is 76gb ? As MarkB suggested also check the size of the backup source.

You could restore a backup to a separate location and see from the restore what is causing the bloat by reference to your working Pocomail.

Compressing with the option to retain local backups after compressing will ensure that your Mail folder will be nearly twice its normal size. You can fix this by searching for all the compressed backup files ending with .~mbx within the Mail folder and deleting them to reduce the size.

Having said all that I then had a look at my own PM backup folder, its 101GB containing weekly differential and then a full backup every 6 weeks going back over 5 years. But disk storage is cheap so I have just let it grow for now.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby MarkB » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:08 pm

jbuk wrote:...my own PM backup folder, its 101GB containing weekly differential and then a full backup every 6 weeks going back over 5 years.

Those backups aren't made by PocoMail Backup and Restore, are they? Is this thread about PocoMail Backup or a third-party backup program?
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby jbuk » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:46 am

MarkB wrote:
jbuk wrote:...my own PM backup folder, its 101GB containing weekly differential and then a full backup every 6 weeks going back over 5 years.

Those backups aren't made by PocoMail Backup and Restore, are they? Is this thread about PocoMail Backup or a third-party backup program?

No Mark I use a 3rd party backup. My point was really that my backups, and there are 100s of them, all zipped, are 101GB so the 76GB of the OP may well be more than one backup too.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To