[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Request return receipt

Request return receipt

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Request return receipt

Postby tipis » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:08 am

Hi Folks!

When I send a mail and I mark the mail "request return receipt" that from the receiver not arrived confirm messages for me.
tipis
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Request return receipt

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:23 am

Hi tipis & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
tipis wrote:When I send a mail and I mark the mail "request return receipt" that from the receiver not arrived confirm messages for me.
Some topics can be found on the same subject.
Take a look at this topic.

I hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby tipis » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:36 am

If in the software advertise that it has the function and not working yet then why I want working by Barca email software?Please erasing the mark from Barca.
tipis
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:41 am

tipis wrote:If in the software advertise that it has the function and not working yet then why I want working by Barca email software?Please erasing the mark from Barca.
Please clarify :?:
Eric

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:12 pm

Return receipt requests are only honoured at the explicit permission of the receiving party. The person reading the message must agree to send a return receipt and then only if the email program they are using supports return receipts. Poco and Barca do not offer native return receipt capability (that is they do not offer you the choice to respond to a return receipt someone else has sent), this functionality is, however, available via a script in the extra's area (available only to registered Poco/Barca users).
Michael

Postby robin » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:04 pm

tipis wrote:If in the software advertise that it has the function and not working yet then why I want working by Barca email software?Please erasing the mark from Barca.
Barca can ask for a return receipt. However the person that you sent the e-mail to has to have an e-mail program that can send a return receipt back and the person has to say "yes". It is not a Barca problem.
robin

Postby tipis » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:59 pm

May be wrong simile.
Imagine, if you buy a car and it has the windscreen wiper swich and raining.You swich ont and swich on the windscreen wiper but out of action.
I think the software not free and I think there is not linux software So I think full software,or not….? If in the software has buttom I think it is working fine,or not…?
I'm sad because I has a fine e-mail client,or not?
May be yet? :(
tipis
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:20 pm

The bottom line is that there is no way a person sending an email message can force the person receiving it (or the email program they use) to send an acknowledgement that the message has been received and read. Imagine the implications for spam if this were supported.

Poco advertises the ability to request return receipts and this functionality does work. Poco does not and cannot guarantee that such receipts are acted upon by the receiving party.
Michael

Postby tipis » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:39 pm

Okay Guy,but I tried.When I send a mail to my another email address and mark RRR after I received by another email client then nothing happend.Not arrived confirm-mail to me.I would like by the Barca but can not full-try, because I have not pass to "return_receipt.poc" so I do not download the missing file from Barca.
tipis
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Andreas » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:13 pm

tipis, if you're interested in the script "return_receipt.poc", you can find an updated version here:

http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewto ... =1922#1922

However, this script will not help you to achieve what you want. Just read the description in the script header to understand what the script does.

Michael's and Robin's statements about return receipts are correct.
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Flashfox » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:49 am

tipis wrote:Okay Guy,but I tried.When I send a mail to my another email address and mark RRR after I received by another email client then nothing happend.Not arrived confirm-mail to me.I would like by the Barca but can not full-try, because I have not pass to "return_receipt.poc" so I do not download the missing file from Barca.

Tipi, are you CERTAIN that the end user's mail client you were testing was configured to PERMIT the issuance of a Return Receipt? If so, then it should work.

As it was mentioned earlier, you will NOT receive a confirmation from users who have told their Email clients NOT to respond. This is NOT a BARCA or POCOMAIL thing, it's a defacto standard that's been around for quite a while.

Microsoft's Outlook and Outlook Express can also request a RR, but none will be returned if the target system is set to refuse sending one.

I for one do NOT permit my Email clients here or at the office to auto-respond... and many people do the same.

Once your Email client is set to REJECT this, you cannot force one unless you plant a worm. (i.e. compromize the computer).

PocoMail, Barca and most mail clients permit you to REQUEST a confirmation, not DEMAND one. Thus, if and only if the end user PERMITS it, a Return Receipt will be sent.
Flashfox

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:51 am

Flashfox wrote:As it was mentioned earlier, you will NOT receive a confirmation from users who have told their Email clients NOT to respond. This is NOT a BARCA or POCOMAIL thing, it's a defacto standard that's been around for quite a while.
Microsoft's Outlook and Outlook Express can also request a RR, but none will be returned if the target system is set to refuse sending one.

Eric

Postby tipis » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:46 pm

Here is a misapprephension .I downloaded at last weak a try softwer.The software name is Barca.In the software I found a buttom.The buttom name is „RRâ€Â
tipis
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:56 pm

[quote="tipis"]The buttom name is „RRâ€Â
Eric

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:36 am

tipis wrote:Here is a misapprephension .

Yes, on your part. No email client in the world can offer "Delivery feedback and read feedback" for reasons cited many times above.
Michael

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To