[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Blank Emails again....

Blank Emails again....

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Blank Emails again....

Postby dribnus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:59 am

I'm sorry for repeating this subject, but I can't seem to find, or understand the answer.
When I go thru my messages that I have sent, there are some that have no body to them. I know it was there, because I sent it. There is no common factor that I can see between the emails. I also get this sometimes when receiving legit mail. Usually it's from a company...ie: UPS tracking email etc...but I don't us the 'junk' function, so I know it's not because of that. Also, I have done the 'Compress Mailboxes' command, still no body to the email. Can anyone explain this in laymen's terms?
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby frazmi » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:22 am

In order to begin addressing the question, we need to know a little more about exactly what you are seeing.

(1) Are you looking at the message body in...
a) the message preview pane,
b) in a message display window (after clicking on a message),
c) in "display raw message",
d) or looking at the mbx file in a text editor?

(2) Do all the headers look OK? Do you see any headers that indicate that a spam program or anti-virus program has operated on the messages with no body?

(3) Do you run Norton AntiVirus (any flavor)?

(4) In terms of common factors, do you see these messages only in particular mailboxes? Or do they occur everywhere?

Sorry for so many questions. However, trying to nail down what's happening is difficult without this kind of information. Even with this information, there's no guarantee that anybody can explain it -- yet.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby dribnus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:29 am

Thank yo in advance for your help. I can forward one, that I have received, to you if it would help.

(1) Are you looking at the message body in...
Preview, display and raw message

(2) Do all the headers look OK? Do you see any headers that indicate that a spam program or anti-virus program has operated on the messages with no body?
Headers are fine, no evidence of AV program interferring

(3) Do you run Norton AntiVirus (any flavor)?
Yes, 2003. But I have re-downloaded from server, w/o this running too.

(4) In terms of common factors, do you see these messages only in particular mailboxes? Or do they occur everywhere?
They are in different mailboxes, not one in particuar. Messages are d/l'd, and filtered to certain mailboxes.

Sorry for so many questions. However, trying to nail down what's happening is difficult without this kind of information. Even with this information, there's no guarantee that anybody can explain it -- yet.[/quote]
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:32 am

I'm wondering if this is potentially a new problem. Does anyone remember if anyone else reported blank message bodies in the Sent mailbox?
Pete

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:35 am

:shock: Never encountered blank messages in the Sentbox.
Eric

Postby waratel » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:47 am

There is a slight similarity with some of the problems I have reported in my thread Problem running in Limited User mode (XP Pro) in that under Limited User mode (XP Pro) sent emails with attachments have the body replaced with an att0.txt file. In my case the att0.txt file has some content, but if it were blank, then the body of the email being checked would look blank (apart from an attachment header).

Dribnus, could you provide some details of your OS environment?

Bill
waratel
Drop-in Visitor

Postby dribnus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:52 am

I have seen this "att0.txt file", but I can't seem to find one with that message in it. It's not in all of them, but I have seen it. I am running XP, but not 'PRO'. It's the Home Edition.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Blank Emails again....

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:33 am

dribnus wrote:I'm sorry for repeating this subject, but I can't seem to find, or understand the answer.
When I go thru my messages that I have sent, there are some that have no body to them. I know it was there, because I sent it...Can anyone explain this in laymen's terms?

Since this problem could potentially be specific to your setup, it will be most helpful if you could provide the following informaition in one post:

1. Which anti-spam are you using?
2. Which anti-virus are you using?
3. Any firewall? Which one?
4. Did you have a recent computer crash? Did PocoMail close abnormally?
5. Are you running PocoMail under a user that is different from the installation user? (A user in Windows parlance)
6. What happens when you disable any program sitting between your PocoMail and your email server?
7. What happen if you do a clean install (new folder) of PocoMail and download your messages from the server?
8. What happen when you do a clean install and restore (not import) data from the old installation?
9. Are you doing anything special when you compose your email? In which format do you send your email?
10. Do the email have special HTML formatting? Are their images in them?

A number of folks are trying to help you, and the above information in one post will provide a nice reference point.
Alpha

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:34 am

This has be talked about ad nausem in the past, but I guess it bares repeating again. One must distingish btwn how a msg displays from what the content is.

If one assumes that simply because you can't see msg content from inside Poco (even "raw msg") that the expected content is really not there....this may well be a false assumption.

To determine display problems from true missing content problems. ONE MUST LOOK AT THE MBX FILE with a text editor with Poco closed to see what is really there. One can then compare that to what is displayed in Poco.

P.S. Poco is no differnet in this respect that any other email client including the ubiquious Outlook or Outlook Express -- except at least in Poco the underlying files are text and you can look at them; with OL or OE you are totally SOL since the files are binary. Your only hope with OL or OE is to attempt to get a response out of MS (and that's a task I can only wish you -- good luck!! :) )
Sandy

Postby frazmi » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:35 pm

Pete wrote
I'm wondering if this is potentially a new problem. Does anyone remember if anyone else reported blank message bodies in the Sent mailbox?
I never reported it, as at the time it did not seem significant (I was getting blank message bodies in all mailboxes).

I now believe that a Norton AV - Poco interaction (see this post for explanation) is a culprit (possibly not the only one). I frequently move messages into and out of the Sent folder -- out more often than in, to be sure.

The key point for me seems to involve moving a "cleaned" message. Once any AV-tainted message has been moved, then any message in the mailbox can have a blank message body, even after Compress.

And I'd agree with Sandy's insistence on looking at the mbx file. Although I believe that "view raw message" should give the same view as with a text editor, the fact is that there's no internal Poco method to see the "true raw" contents of the MBX file for a particular message. That's why I asked (in my first reply) about how the "blank" diagnosis was made (my question #1).
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:49 pm

I believe that "view raw message" should give the same view as with a text editor

Yep, normally I'd agree with you but unfortunately there is a "gotcha" doing this that makes "raw" essentially useless for truly diagnosing a problem (however, "raw" is still good when there is no suspected problem involved).

The gotcha is that "raw' still depends on program standards about where a msg starts and stops; it still has to properly ignore previous deleted msgs in a mailbox that hasn't been compressed yet; it still has to depend on the IDX file to coordinate access to the MBX file. So if the problem one is researching involves any of those areas (and others), "raw" will only serve to mislead you.

No, better to look directly in the MBX files so that you can use your superior brain to find patterns that could easily confuse a computer.
Sandy

Postby frazmi » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:58 pm

Yes, I agree with your analysis -- insightful.

I wasn't trying to say "you don't need to use a text editor to look at the MBX file" -- I was just saying, I wish the display raw message actually displayed the raw message as Poco interprets the message. As you point out, it would be helpful for diagnosing many other types of problems, for example, "bad" HTML code that does not display properly.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To