[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco and email notifiers

Poco and email notifiers

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco and email notifiers

Postby Rui » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:47 pm

Hi all

Considering Pocobot limited functionality as an e-mail notifier, has anyone tried using a different e-mail notifying application with Poco? Any suggestions concerning e-mail notifiers? Do Poco users consider such kind of applications as convenient and useful?
Best regards.
Rui
Rui
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Dutchman » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:19 pm

Hi,

I use PopTray (freeware): http://www.poptray.org/

It has it's own forum.

Cheers,
Ron
Dutchman
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:10 am

I use SimpleCheck ( www.simplecheck.net ) - not freeware but not expesive. Has a filters facility that lets you do on-server spam filtering.
robin

Postby Rui » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:39 am

Hi Ron and Robin

Thank you very much for your input!
I am currently trying Pop Tray, as suggested by Ron. Seems a nice application.
I will also try Simple Check.
In the meantime, I will appreciate it if any other forum users have other valuable suggestions, or experiences to share about this topic.
And I'll keep you posted.
Once again, thanks a lot.
Best regards
Rui
Rui
Drop-in Visitor

Postby JohnKlindt » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:12 pm

Rui wrote:Hi Ron and Robin

I am currently trying Pop Tray, as suggested by Ron. Seems a nice application.
Rui

Sorry, but why would you want to use a notifier, why not use the mail program directly?
Kind regards
John Klindt
JohnKlindt
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:58 pm

Here's two

- not everyone wants to leave their e-mail program running all the time (can take a lot more memory than a dedicated POP checker)
- SimpleCheck (for example) can check any number of accounts; each of which might have their own separate PocoMail "User" (for example my wife, my daughter, I and the "family" each have different PocoMail Users - SimpleCheck will check each of them on a defined schedule without any danger that messages for my wife get downloaded to me etc).
robin

Postby Rui » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:56 pm

JohnKlindt wrote:
Sorry, but why would you want to use a notifier, why not use the mail program directly?

Another third reason, besides the two ones given by Robin in the previous post:

Having a dedicated e-mail notifiier can increase your productivity as well as spare you some time. Instead of having Poco running all the time (or opening and closing it periodically), with an adequate mail notifier you can preview the just arrived message, and decide what to do about it (reply immediately, leave on server, etc) Some mail notifying aplications can also be configured to function as mail filters. In some other ones, you can even set a customized sound alert, according to the message sender, associating a certain wave file to a specific sender. All these possibilities may increase your productivity, especially if you run a small office, which happens to be my case.
Best regards
Rui
Rui
Drop-in Visitor

Postby COD » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:25 am

I use the suppress notification feature of Poco to enhance productivity. I only get notified on mail that lands on the inbox Listservs and other things that aren't that important are supressed.
COD
Resident Poster

Return to Email Hall