[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Leave messages on server

Leave messages on server

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Leave messages on server

Postby apjcs » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:25 pm

WHen any email client leaves messages on the server, is the leave for n days information stored on the server or by the email client?

The reason for the question is that I want to run Barca along side my existing client for a while to evaluate it. Can I do this? or will I end up with some mail not being downloaded by one of the clients or any getting downloaded more than once by either client?

I need to understand where the 'leave on server' info is stored.

Thanks

PJ
apjcs
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Leave messages on server

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:26 am

apjcs wrote:I need to understand where the 'leave on server' info is stored.
The info is stored in the email client itself, because I run PocoMail 'Leave mail on server' and Barca 'Delete mail on server'.

I download the messages in Poco and the next all messages are retrieved and deleted by Barca.

I hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby J-Mac » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:50 pm

Eric,

I really must disagree with you on this.

The downloaded copies of messages are stored within the e-mail client, but the messages ARE in fact left on the server - the ISP's server.

If you have any e-mail accounts that offer webmail as well as downloading, go to the ISP's webmail page after you've downloaded the messages to your e-mail client. As long as the LMOS feature is selected, you can see that the messages are still there on the server.

But I think we both know and agree on this and perhaps are reading the OP's post differently.

I believe that 'apjcs' is concerned that rather than leaving the messages on the ISP's actual server, Barca is simply storing a copy of the messages and giving the appearance that they are on the ISP's server; kind of a "virtual" server. Then he would not be able to download them to his existing mail client that he is evaluating against Barca.

I think you will agree that he can rest assured that if he has "Leave Messages On Server" checked, without any time constraint, the messages will indeed stay on his ISP's server for as long as that ISP allows them to remain there, and be available for his present e-mail client to download them also. :)
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Postby robin » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:50 pm

Eric wrote:
apjcs wrote:I need to understand where the 'leave on server' info is stored.
The info is stored in the email client itself, because I run PocoMail 'Leave mail on server' and Barca 'Delete mail on server'.:
Eric does mean that the information about how long to leave messages is stored by the e-mail client; he is not referring to the actual messages which as you rightly say are still stored on the server (as well as being downloaded to the e-mail client).
robin

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:58 pm

robin wrote:Eric does mean that the information about how long to leave messages is stored by the e-mail client; he is not referring to the actual messages which as you rightly say are still stored on the server (as well as being downloaded to the e-mail client).
Exactly what I meant, but it was late. Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly. :wink:
Eric

Postby J-Mac » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:31 am

No problem, Eric, Robin.

If you'll notice, my post kind of changes in the middle, when I suddenly recognized that we were responding to different aspects of the same post!

It was late here, too! :)

Either way, I sure hope I didn't just confuse you more, apjcs!
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Return to Email Hall