[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Kaspersky - Problems!!

Kaspersky - Problems!!

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Kaspersky - Problems!!

Postby bareges » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:58 am

Robin and all other Kaspersky users I would be grateful for help and or suggestions as very little is forthcoming from Kaspersky themselves.

Had successfully been Kaspersky Personal Pro (KPP) 4.5 and decided to upgrade to KPP 5 . I stupidly installed on top of 4.5 and the install failed. Next problem couldn't get rid of the files - wouldn't iuninstall either using Windows add/remove or KPP unistall - manually removed everything that I could find on drives and in registry..........Now can't reinstall KPP4.5 it simply produces a report folder and nothing else. KPP 5 keeps telling me that it has discivered another version of KPP and as the two cannot run together the install of KPP 5 cancels.

I have fired emals at Kaspersky without success thus far and I am led to believe that Tech Support can provide a utility that will rip out KPP...........without their help I don't have any real AV protection.

I have as a temporary measure downloaded and installed the trial version F-Prot - fully working 30 day trial.

Upshot - I would be grateful for ideas to solve KPP problem and equally a bit of guidance, if anyone knows there is a specific setup required within Poco to ensure that F-Prot to scans email.

Regards

Charles
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Re: Kaspersky - Problems!!

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:19 am

Hi Charles,
bareges wrote:Now can't reinstall KPP4.5 it simply produces a report folder and nothing else. KPP 5 keeps telling me that it has discivered another version of KPP and as the two cannot run together the install of KPP 5 cancels.
Have you tried deleting every reference of Kaspersky as well as using a registry cleaner?
I have fired emals at Kaspersky without success thus far and I am led to believe that Tech Support can provide a utility that will rip out KPP...........without their help I don't have any real AV protection.
I never had a problem with support, but you could always ask for help on their unofficial forum. :)
Upshot - I would be grateful for ideas to solve KPP problem and equally a bit of guidance, if anyone knows there is a specific setup required within Poco to ensure that F-Prot to scans email.
F-Prot doesn't scan email :? , it only offers a resident shield. When you open an infected message you'll be warned.

Good luck and I hope it will get solved quickly. :wink:

Edit: See this topic at Wilders to know more about email scanning and F-Prot.
Last edited by Eric on Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby robin » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:07 pm

Hi Charles

I support everything that Eric said and would add again that the unofficial forum would be a good place to start (although it is actively lurked by Kaspersky people). I recall reading a thread there about a KAV uninstaller as well. You'll find it here with some links.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.
robin

Postby bareges » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:56 pm

Eric, Robin,

Thank you very much most helpful - will head off in pursuit.

I definitely want to get Kaspersky back and running as I was finding it very good. It seems to give much more solid AV protection (in my view) than NAV which Itraded it for.

Thank you both will keep you in the picture.
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Re: Kaspersky - Problems!!

Postby MarkB » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:21 am

Eric wrote:When you open an infected message you'll be warned.... Edit: See this topic at Wilders....

Eric:

The fellow at Wilders has Poco configured to decode attachments and save them in the PocoMail3\Attach folder, where they will be accessible to any real-time AV scanner.

Some Poco users check the option "When receiving attachments, leave attachments encoded inside the message." In that case, it would be interesting to know whether Poco decodes the attachment to a temporary disk file or directly to RAM. Few AV scanners check RAM in real-time, I think.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:40 am

Hi MarkB,
MarkB wrote:The fellow at Wilders has Poco configured to decode attachments and save them in the PocoMail3\Attach folder, where they will be accessible to any real-time AV scanner.
I know, I've read the topic some time ago, but that still doesn't give email scanning on incoming messages. Maybe the new version 4.0 will. Kaspersky checks incoming mail at recommended settings, not outgoing. Only at maximum settings does it check outgoing too.

Thanks for your input. :wink:

btw Charles, I too used NIS before and replaced it with now KAV 5.0 Personal and it offers more protection. Hourly updates if available and excellent support.
KAV, NOD32 and McAfee are absolutely the best IMHO. :D
Last edited by Eric on Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby MarkB » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:12 am

Eric:

That's not the point I was trying to make. "When you open an infected message you'll be warned....": Certainly the fellow at Wilders was warned; he had Poco configured to decode attachments, and his AV squawked when Poco saved the file to disk. I'd just like to confirm that you'll be warned in all circumstances -- when Poco is not so configured and the AV does not scan email. It's just a question. Not trying to stir up trouble.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:25 am

MarkB wrote:I'd just like to confirm that you'll be warned in all circumstances -- when Poco is not so configured and the AV does not scan email. It's just a question. Not trying to stir up trouble.
No trouble at all. I only wanted to tell Charles that it doesn't scan email. Only upon on demand scan or opening the offending message will you get a warning.
Let's wait and see what the new version has in store. :)
Eric

Postby bareges » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:05 am

Eric, Robin,

Again many thanks for your help. I headed to the various forums (fora?) that you mentioned , the "kav enduser" was particualrly useful. I have downloaded a trial copy of RegSupreme.

I'm glad to say that after several attempts (2) I am now back in the land of KAV Personal Pro 4.5...............I have decided to hold off KPP 5 having read several of the commentaries on the forum about instability and reduction in features. I will watch and wait a bit before moving to KPP 5.

I was somewhat stunned that RegSupreme after running several 'deep' searches decided that there were 2980 invalid items in my registry..........terribly tempting to "select all" and tell it to 'fix' which presumably would remove most if not all. I'm thankfully not that brave or should I say stupid.................I will run RegSupreme again and pick my through the 'invalid items' that I recognise or can check and remove them.

Again thank you very much to both of you for your help. I feel much more at ease back in the land of the AV protected.
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:09 am

bareges wrote:Again many thanks for your help. I headed to the various forums (fora?) that you mentioned , the "kav enduser" was particualrly useful. I have downloaded a trial copy of RegSupreme.
You're welcome. Glad to hear it got fixed. Thanks for letting us know. :D
btw I'm using RegSupreme Pro and simply like it a lot for doing the cleaning. You can select everything, but remember to always let RS make a backup before removing everything it found. If after you've restarted your PC and it doesn't give problems, then all is OK. If not, you can put the backup back and do a selective cleaning.
I feel much more at ease back in the land of the AV protected.
Welcome back. KAV gives you excellent protection. :wink:
Eric

Postby bareges » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:01 pm

Eric,

KAV gives you excellent protection.

Have to agree - seems to be very thorough.

I'm using RegSupreme Pro and simply like it a lot for doing the cleaning

I think it would be $17.00 well spent to purchase a copy.

Thanks again to you and Robin for your help in sorting things out.

PS. One day I'll learn to use the "quote" as neatly as you do!!
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:00 am

Glad that we could be of help, athough I'm not sure that I added that much to Eric's input. I went to KAV 5 from NAV so I didn't have the upgrade problems that you seem to have had.
robin

Return to Email Hall