[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca Restore

Barca Restore

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Barca Restore

Postby tallcangal » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:31 am

I had to uninstall Barca one day and had to reinstall it. After reinstalling Barca, I restored all the settings from the backup I made. One problem though. Not all the settings were restored.

My today page was back to the default (from install). The junk mail filtering was off. My toolbars were back to the install default as well. In addition, all my account settings were back to the default too. Yes, the accounts were there; however, I had to redo the settings for each account.

In PM, all the settings for everything were saved, but in Barca, they are not.

Has anyone else noticed this? It is a bit of a pain. Not only that, but if it is like this for everyone, can you imagine restoring backup settings to new beta versions or release versions? :roll:
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Re: Barca Restore

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:28 am

Hi tallcangal,
tallcangal wrote:I had to uninstall Barca one day and had to reinstall it. After reinstalling Barca, I restored all the settings from the backup I made. One problem though. Not all the settings were restored.
I have tried the restore only once during the beta time and experienced the same thing. After that I thought it was corrected with the release version.
:idea: With every new beta the only thing I did was importing from a previous installation and then all my settings were there.
The only thing I saw lately when using this function was that pointing at the ini-file wasn't done correctly. Only manual correction worked.
Has anyone else noticed this? It is a bit of a pain. Not only that, but if it is like this for everyone, can you imagine restoring backup settings to new beta versions or release versions? :roll:
I can imagine what it must be like. Better doing an import from a previous install, so you shouldn't have to uninstall Barca. Just install another and when everything is imported and working fine delete the previous installation. :!: Don't uninstall

It should be entered into Bug Traction as soon as it's been changed to receive bugs & enhancements for Barca. :wink:
Eric

Postby huntnyc » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:33 pm

Have noted that when restoring from Barca my calendar recurring appointments lose their reminders and their recurring dates.

I had wanted to really replace Outlook 2003 with this nice small program but I am beginning to wander why I spent the $59.95 and if it is possible to get my money back or not or should I stumble along waiting for bugs to be fixed that are truly problematic if you depend on software for important matters such as email and appointments.

As far as the email features, they are wonderful. I just wish I had waited till a later version instead of spending money that I don't need to waste.

Gary
huntnyc

Postby huntnyc » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:55 pm

Amendment to my earlier post. I did some more testing and it seems the restore does work retaining my calendar appointments, email and account settings. However, the interface of the calendar could be a lot smoother. I would say Barca has better email features than Outlook but the calendar is not as smooth in interface and functionality. But, I love the email clinet part of this program where I do not have to use Word as my email editor to get functions that I want. Thanks again for the work but hoping for an update in the near future.

Gary
huntnyc

Postby COD » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:31 am

Since the email features are Pocomail, a mature and tested application, and the calendar features are all version 1.0, that really isn't surprising. Did you ever use Outlook 98? It was worthless, maybe worse than worthless.

IMO, Barca is very well done and very stable for a first release. I'm looking forward to a constant stream of refinements from the Poco team.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby huntnyc » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:48 am

Yes, I am too. Just got a little frustrated with these bugs but no software first release's are without them. It is an excellent email program, maybe the best I have used over these 9 years I have used them. I will live with the bugs and look forward with the updates and try to contain any unreasonable criticism.

Thanks.

Gary
huntnyc

restore

Postby cricketnz » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:36 pm

Hi guys,

Followed your discussion with interest. I did a restore without the messages,just the settings. I found that it had created mailboxes for signatures, scripts, icons,emoticons etc, which I can delete but which get automatically recreated once I restart Barca. Any ideas on this?

Jim
cricketnz
Poco Tourist

Re: restore

Postby robin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:00 pm

cricketnz wrote:Followed your discussion with interest. I did a restore without the messages,just the settings. I found that it had created mailboxes for signatures, scripts, icons,emoticons etc, which I can delete but which get automatically recreated once I restart Barca. Any ideas on this?
This sounds like the folder locations have got out of synch. Normally these folders just hold system-related information which you don't see while the mailboxes are the folders and files within the "mail" directory (C:\Program Files\Barca\Mail in my case, the others should be C:\Program Files\Barca\Icons, etc etc).

If Barca thinks that the mail directory has the mail boxes in it then it will display them, but if a different bit thinks that this is where the system files are then it may try to recreate them.

You might want to check the files settings in Barca: Options | Directories. The mail directory should be Mail\. Then check the folder structure in Windows Explorer and make sure it is like I have described. If this doesn't help then you may need to
robin

restore and strange mailboxes

Postby cricketnz » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:03 pm

Thanks Robin

On investigation, it appeared that the restore operation had somehow duplicated those directories in the mail directory, just as you thought. After deleting the folders from within the mail folder I could delete the mailboxes from within the Barca program and they did not reappear after restarting Barca. Interesting though..
I wonder if this is a bug in the restore process ....

Jim
cricketnz
Poco Tourist

Re: restore and strange mailboxes

Postby robin » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:22 am

cricketnz wrote:Thanks Robin
Glad to be of help.

cricketnz wrote:I wonder if this is a bug in the restore process ....Jim
Maybe, but you seem to be the only person who has reported it. If you are a new user then maybe you were confused by an option or setting. If it is sorted then OK for now but we'll keep an eye on it for any future recurrences.
robin

Re: Barca Restore

Postby Quivers » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:50 am

I have noticed this. I just purchased PE 303 and really like it but when I saw Barca, I thought definitely this is for me. Because I use at two locations PE was the answer. Someone told me I could use Barca using BU and Restore...but like you, it dows not restore prefs or setup. So my enthusiasm for purchasing Barca faded quickly...unfortunately :(
Arthur

tallcangal wrote:I had to uninstall Barca one day and had to reinstall it. After reinstalling Barca, I restored all the settings from the backup I made. One problem though. Not all the settings were restored.

My today page was back to the default (from install). The junk mail filtering was off. My toolbars were back to the install default as well. In addition, all my account settings were back to the default too. Yes, the accounts were there; however, I had to redo the settings for each account.

In PM, all the settings for everything were saved, but in Barca, they are not.

A. Arthur
Quivers
New Arrival

Postby COD » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:24 pm

I'm using Barca on two computers - I don't import settings and preferences - once I have them set on each computer I don't see any reason to keep copying them back and forth - I don't change that stuff frequently.

Also, Barca wasn't necessarily designed to share data on two computers. What I'm doing with backup and restore is a bit of a hack - works well enough for me.
COD
Resident Poster

Return to Barca Help and How-To