[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca on two computers

Barca on two computers

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Barca on two computers

Postby COD » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:31 am

I work from home 3 or 4 days a week. When home I prefer to use my desktop machine. On office days I need to use my laptop. Does anybody have any thoughts on how best to keep Barca synched between the two computers. I was using Poco and Poco PE - but now that I am diving in with Barca full time...

Backup and restore is the obvious option. Are there any negatives that I'm not seeing?
COD
Resident Poster

Postby robin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:21 am

Be careful if you are using CDs. When written to a CD-ROM, files by definition have read-only set. When Poco (and therefore by implication Barca) restores then it does not reset the read-only. Use a removeable drive of some kind. Other than that I can't think of any issues.
robin

Postby GHaavy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:57 am

Hi COD,

Just to add another slant to your question, I remember reading (in the old forum) that others had tried using Barca in the same way that Pocomail PE was designed... essentially placing it on a thumb drive and running it directly from that removable storage device, rather than installing it directly on each machine. In this way, you could simply run the same instance on both machines.

I do recall, however, someone stating that there were some issues related to it (perhaps Robin can remember exactly). If you have a thumb drive, you may wish to give this a try? I wouldn't rely solely upon this method, though, until you're sure it works to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Grant
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby COD » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:30 am

Thanks for the help. As I remember that discussion from the old forum however, there was no way to run Barca registered on a flash drive. It will always be in eval mode, with the Poco URL in the header.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby GHaavy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:52 am

Ahh... right, that was the problem.

Sorry... that's out, then (unless there was some way of installing and registering Barca on both computers, then setting the default data location to the thumbdrive?).

- Grant
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby GHaavy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:56 am

hmmm... just checking out Barca's directory structure... would that actually work?? It does provide you the ability to choose in what directory to place your email, etc... would changing the "Users Directory" to the thumbdrive work??

Just a thought.

- Grant
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Postby COD » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:54 am

Hmm, I might play around with that this weekend. My concern is the speed in the flashdrive - tends to have slow i/o compared to direct access to the hard drive.

Another thought was to put all the user data in the Windows briefcase and use it to sync the user data on two systems. That is assuming briefcase even still exiss in XP.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby robin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:48 am

GHaavy wrote:I do recall, however, someone stating that there were some issues related to it (perhaps Robin can remember exactly). If you have a thumb drive, you may wish to give this a try? I wouldn't rely solely upon this method, though, until you're sure it works to your satisfaction.
Barca keeps the registration / licence key in the registry. If you take it somewhere else then, as COD says, it will always be in evaluation mode, unless you install the licence code on the other machine. If you are taking it with you, and only ever running one copy, then I don't *think* that you will be breaching the licence agreement - although someone from PSI might like to confirm this.

Also be aware that Barca keeps the path to the executable in the registry but I'm not sure what purpose this serves.

Lastly, of course, the "other machine" may not have the same internet connection / ISP and therefore the default outgoing mail server may be different - you'd need to change this in options although once entered Barca remembers it and lets you select it from a drop down list.

What it comes down to, I think, is "try it and let us know" - someone has to be the pathfinder :D Copy the entire Barca folder structure to the removeable drive and plug it into another machine, then run it; you'll still have the original if it all goes pear shaped.
robin

Postby COD » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:40 am

Backup and Restore seems to work just fine. I haven't noticed anything missing after I backed up from the laptop and restored to the desktop.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby GHaavy » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:46 am

Hi COD,

I'm glad that it's working... sometimes the most basic solution is the best. :D

- Grant
GHaavy
Frequent Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To