[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Which AV to use?

Which AV to use?

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Which AV to use?

Postby vlais » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:21 am

You guys have more expirience with PocoMail, can anybody tell me which AV software is best with Poco? And of cource, better free AV.
vlais
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:31 am

AVG from Grisoft, freeware, worked nicely for me in the past.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: Which AV to use?

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:42 am

Hi vlais & welcome to Poco Forum. :D
vlais wrote:You guys have more expirience with PocoMail, can anybody tell me which AV software is best with Poco? And of cource, better free AV.

You could always try Avast Home edition.
It's free and not so difficult to setup and they have a forum, if you need help. :)
Just a word of caution: don't use the in & outgoing notifications, as it could result to receiving blank messages.
You've to register at their website, so they'll know the bandwith for all their users. After 14 months you'll have to register again, but it stays free.
Another to use is Bitdefender free.
It's your choice to find the antivirus you like and doesn't make problems with your PC. :roll:

Other members will maybe post other free antivirus.
Last edited by Eric on Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:45 am

Tomas wrote:AVG from Grisoft, freeware, worked nicely for me in the past.
AVG 7.0 free edition doesn't work with Poco, if I remember correctly. The licensed version however does. :wink:
Interesting topic at Wilders Security Forum about free antivirus.
Eric

Postby Tomas » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:12 am

It was 6.0 version. Maybe it is still available (the virus database updates for it are available for sure).
Too bad they have prevented it in 7.0 version.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:41 am

Tomas wrote:It was 6.0 version. Maybe it is still available (the virus database updates for it are available for sure).
Too bad they have prevented it in 7.0 version.
Yeah, too bad. :cry:
This is what I found about AVG 7.0:
- What e-mail clients are supported by AVG Free?
AVG Free Edition currently supports Microsoft Outlook email client.
:shock: That must be a joke.

vlais, here's another free antivirus: AntiVir Personal Edition

:!: One word of caution for everyone: Never install another antivirus, when there's already one installed. Always uninstall the previous one, reboot and install the new one and reboot again.
To be on the safe side always check their website about the procedure for uninstalling.
If Norton was present on your system, uninstalling it through Software is not enough. Just check Symantec's website for a complete uninstall utility before installing another antivirus.
Eric

Postby scottm » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:11 pm

With AVG, you have to use the personal e-mail scanner and config it manually. It's not that hard.

I had posted instructions in the old forum

My personal recommendation; get yourself a copy of Nod32.........
scottm

Thanks!

Postby vlais » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:57 pm

You guys are really nice.
I have AVG 6 installed, but have bad expirience with I-Worm/Netsky series. Poco, as other mail clients too, writes attachments to HDD immediately, and it's too late for AVG to prevent damage. It notice me about it, but Netsky is already saved and protected. Embarrassment.
I will try some other AV, maybe AVAST and Bitdefender. Thank you very much
P.S. I will notice you
vlais
New Arrival

Postby COD » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:22 am

I've used CA E-trust for years, never had a problem with it and Poco, and I've never had a problem with it missing something. You can download a free trial at my-etrust.com. IIRC, it's $20 for the first year and $10 annual renewals. Well worth it IMO.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby robin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:42 pm

A topic of this nature came up on the old forums where a poster was unhappy because their choice of free AV required them to use command line options in PM - it didn't scan incoming and outgoing mail. I said it then and I'll say it again - you must consider AntiVirus software *essential* these days and in order to ensure that you get full protection you must consider paying for the AV software (a bit like car insurance - none of us want it but we know we must have it). Compared to the value of the information on your computer system and the time spent disinfecting it then the annual fee for an AV licence is very small.

However, many people are very happy with the free solutions that they use, and many people are very *unhappy* with the paid solutions that they uses (NAV2004 seems to come into this category).

FWIW I use Kaspersky which "does what it says on the tin" without trying to be something extra in order to keep the upgrade path going (i.e. NAV).
robin

Postby scottm » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:59 am

Good stuff Robin. Add 1 more ingredient....a good dose of "net common sense". That goes a long way. Most of these AV programs are only as good as the latest definition set. Everyone here has taken step one by dumping Microsofts mail programs for Poco or Barca.
scottm

Postby Kevin Tea » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:15 am

vlais wrote:You guys have more expirience with PocoMail, can anybody tell me which AV software is best with Poco? And of cource, better free AV.

I'm with Eric and find Avast to be excellent. Updates itself regularly. One night I was online for four hours and it updated itself twice!!
Regards
Kevin
800 feet up a Cumbrian fellside
Kevin Tea
Poco Tourist

Postby speerga » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:29 am

Eric wrote:Another to use is Bitdefender free.

Hi Eric,

I've been using avast Home for several months and love it. I tried BitDefender Standard and really liked some of the features.

I know you use -- or at least you were using -- BitDefender. My question, which others may have also: Does BitDefender Free scan email? I've been looking at their manual for BitDefender Free and haven't yet tried to download and install it, so I don't know for sure. Do you?

Gary Speer
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:28 am

Kevin Tea wrote:I'm with Eric and find Avast to be excellent. Updates itself regularly. One night I was online for four hours and it updated itself twice!!
Thanks, Kevin. :wink:
You're using the Pro version with the Push for updates?
I've been using avast Home for several months and love it.
Hi Gary, just back from my vacation. 8)
If you love Avast, stick with it. It's a really good antivirus.
Speerga wrote:I know you use -- or at least you were using -- BitDefender. My question, which others may have also: Does BitDefender Free scan email? I've been looking at their manual for BitDefender Free and haven't yet tried to download and install it, so I don't know for sure. Do you?
I was using BitDefender Standard, but since I couldn't update for 2 weeks, I installed and bought Kaspersky 5.0, which is really great. :lol:
If you want to look at the difference between the free and standard version: BitDefender Free and BitDefender Standard
I never used the Free version, but with the Standard version you didn't have to do anything to scan your email. So I think it's the same for the free version.
Eric

Postby MarkB » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:34 am

BitDefender Free Edition does not have real-time scanning, only on-demand, scheduled, right-click, and command-line scanning.

Avast has excellent detection of in-the-wild viruses, but poor detection of non-virus malware. Tests in 2004 show detection rates for dialers of 1% to 5%.

Dialer - avast 5%, BitDefender 40%, AntiVir 98%, KAV 5 100%:
http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=757&mode=thread&order=0

Dialers - avast 3%:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Next

Return to Email Hall