[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Latest AVG started scanning email now! [Mod: moved]

Latest AVG started scanning email now! [Mod: moved]

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Latest AVG started scanning email now! [Mod: moved]

Postby roujesky » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:34 am

One of my biggest complaints with Barca was that I could NEVER get AVG virus scanner to work with it. Well, I automatically downloaded the latest version AVG and now it just works! That is the good news. The bad news is that somehow all email seems to be/have an attachment. This is annoying when I delete email because Barca prompts me to also delete the attachment. If you go through a lot of spam, it gets rather annoying having to click every email twice to delete it. I know that there is a setting so that it won't prompt you to delete the attachment, but then it leaves the attachment :(
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

thanx

[Edit by Robin: moved to E-mail Hall]
roujesky
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Latest AVG started scanning email now!

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:49 am

Hi roujesky & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
roujesky wrote:One of my biggest complaints with Barca was that I could NEVER get AVG virus scanner to work with it. Well, I automatically downloaded the latest version AVG and now it just works! That is the good news.
That's good news indeed, however there was a setup for AVG in the previous forum, but we can't get access to that information for the time being.
The bad news is that somehow all email seems to be/have an attachment. This is annoying when I delete email because Barca prompts me to also delete the attachment.
I don't use AVG, but couldn't that be related to the incoming notification that AVG puts into every message.
If it's the case you could simply disable incoming notification, if possible.

:!: Or is this attachment something else?

I hope this can help you. :wink:
Eric

Postby waynedunham » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:10 am

I just installed the AVG v7 free edition since support for AVG6 ends on 12/31/04 with no more virus database updates for AVG6 after 1/31/05.

During the install of V7 it uninstalled AVG6 and pulled all of my settings for the Email scanner over and worked flawlessly.

One small thing that seems to be in conflict with what you seem to be reporting (are you talking about AVG6 or V7?). Under AVG6 it would put all of the virus scan notifications as an attachment, but now under AVG7 it puts them inside the Email.

PocoMail doesn't prompt me for deleting attachments, it just does it, which is strange since I've always had the "Query to delete attachments" box checked in Tools/Options/Reading Mail.

I wish we could get to the old AVG6 setup messages because I have a friend whos' NAV sub is about to run out and he wants to put AVG on his main machine. He has it on another machine, but doesn't do Email on that one so he's never set that part up under AVG6.
Wayne Dunham
waynedunham
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:29 am

waynedunham wrote:I have a friend whos' NAV sub is about to run out and he wants to put AVG on his main machine.
:!: Be sure to uninstall NAV completely before installing AVG.
Take a look at Symantec's website for instructions on complete removal.
Also use a registry cleaner to remove all traces and delete every folder of NAV in Program Files and in My documents. Even deleting manually registry keys

Not performing the above instructions could lead to a clash between NAV and AVG, which could result in crashing his system completely.

As said before, NAV is one of the worst anti-virus to remove completely from your system. :?

Good luck with the installation of AVG on your friend's computer. :wink:
Eric

Postby waynedunham » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:53 am

Eric wrote: Be sure to uninstall NAV completely before installing AVG.
Take a look at Symantec's website for instructions on complete removal.
Also use a registry cleaner to remove all traces and delete every folder of NAV in Program Files and in My documents. Even deleting manually registry keys

Not performing the above instructions could lead to a clash between NAV and AVG, which could result in crashing his system completely.

As said before, NAV is one of the worst anti-virus to remove completely from your system. :?

Good luck with the installation of AVG on your friend's computer. :wink:

I hear that :!: He's very proficient at computers so I'm sure he knows all too well about Norton's propensity for leaving itself ingrained on a system even after you "uninstall" it.
That's just one of the many reasons I stopped using any of Norton's products several years ago and no longer recommend any of their stuff to anyone now.
I just helped another friend who finally got tired of Norton System Works (he had practically everything turned on!) turning his laptop into a sluggish pile of dung and went to something else for AV. We couldn't get it to install properly for just the reason you stated above, so I too am aware of Norton's little games that they play.
Wayne Dunham
waynedunham
Drop-in Visitor

Return to Email Hall