[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - To PE or not to PE...

To PE or not to PE...

Help and advice on using PocoMail PE

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

To PE or not to PE...

Postby Tigger » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:14 am

I've been using PocoMail PE for about 2 months now. I originally downloaded it from Iomega's ActiveDisk site and have it installed on a 128MB Micro Mini USB drive. When the end of the trial period was near, I decided I liked PocoMail PE enough to purchase a license. This was before the recent revamping of the Poco Systems website. When purchasing my license, I did not see a specific entry for PE, so I just ordered PocoMail. The license key I got seems to work just fine with version 3.0.0.1661. After I got my license key, I noticed that there is a newer version available. I downloaded it and installed it, but it doesn't recognize my key as a valid key. I guess I got a non-PE license that doesn't work with the newer version of PE.

Now for my questions:
  1. Is there a way to get my license changed to be a PE license?
  2. If not, is there a reason (other than supporting Poco Systems) why I should purchase both PocoMail and PocoMail PE? If so, please explain the benefits of using both versions.
  3. Is there a compelling reason to upgrade from 3.0.1.1661?
  4. Exactly what are the differences between PocoMail and the PE version besides adding the ActiveDisk support? Does PE have a smaller footprint, or specific changes that allow it to run smoothly on a removeable drive?
  5. If the non-PE footprint is not too big, is there any reason why it can not be used on a removeable drive?

I tried sending an e-mail to the support contacts, but never got a response. Sorry if the forums are the wrong place to ask licensing related questions.
Tigger
Drop-in Visitor

Re: To PE or not to PE...

Postby robin » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:47 am

Tigger wrote:I tried sending an e-mail to the support contacts, but never got a response. Sorry if the forums are the wrong place to ask licensing related questions.
Strictly speaking they are, but since you seem not to have got a response I suggest that you pm your details to Slaven or Jim. Please use the details and e-mail address that you used when you bought PM.

Just as an aside - if you have spam protection, please check that a message from PocoSystems did not get called as a false positive.

Thanks
robin

Re: To PE or not to PE...

Postby Tigger » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:39 am

robin wrote:Strictly speaking they are, but since you seem not to have got a response I suggest that you pm your details to Slaven or Jim. Please use the details and e-mail address that you used when you bought PM.
If Slaven or Jim do not respond here or directly to me via a PM, I will PM them.

In the mean time, I'd still like to understand the differences between PocoMail and PocoMail PE and whether there is a valid reason to use both programs. I currently run PocoMail PE as my sole e-mail client using it on both my home and work machines. I periodically backup the files onto my home machine. It seems to me that if I try to use PocoMail on my home machine and PE on the USB drive on my work machine that I open up the problems of keeping the two sets of mailboxes in synch. Are there any benefits that would make the synch hassles worth it?
Tigger
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:18 am

I'm not a PE user so cannot give you a definitive answer, but PE is designed to work off a removeable drive. Given this, you do not need PocoMail at home and PE at work, just take your removeable drive with you and use it in either location then you never have the synch problem - you only have one copy, on your removeable drive. I don't think that the hassle is worth it.

PocoMail will not work well on a removeable drive since its licence key information is held in the registry and thus will not be available on another system. There may be other issues that I am not aware of.

So, in summary, use one copy of PE on the removeable drive. Unless of course someone else can suggest anything different...
robin

Postby Tigger » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:02 am

That's sort of what I thought, but when I realized that my license wouldn't work with the newer version of PE, I poked around on the web site a bit. There was a FAQ (I think) explaining how to move mailboxes between the two versions. I was wondering if it was common for people to run the two versions. I really like having my e-mail on the USB drive. I can use my personal e-mail at work without any kind of permanent storage remaining on my work machine. I just need to remember to back it up regularly incase the USB drive fails or gets lost.
Tigger
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Slaven » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:31 am

Some people like to use PE as an alternate email client when on the road, in which case they like to have both the desktop and the portable version of PocoMail. In your case, using just PE makes sense (with plenty of backups).

You can send me a private message with your real name and email address and the date of purchase so that I can investigate the license problems further.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

using just PE makes sense (with plenty of backups).

Postby Rocor98 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:35 am

"using just PE makes sense (with plenty of backups)".

Explain Slaven .... Is this major backup requirement you refer to due to potential loss of the removable device or the lack of performance of the program ?
Rocor98
New Arrival

Postby robin » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:53 am

Poco is pretty stable so likely to be more the former (loss of device). In any case, keeping a backup is a sensible precaution.
robin

Postby j0nezn » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:34 am

I had the same problem as the original poster. I was wonder what i can do to use that patched version of POCOPE. I am curently using the unpatched version i got off the iomega site. I also must have bought the wrong version?
j0nezn
New Arrival

Postby robin » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:21 am

Hi j0nezn

Please follow the suggestion that Slaven made to pm him (Private message) including the information he asked for. Licence problems cannot be resolved on the forums because we do not have access to the licence files - only PSI do.
robin

Return to PocoMail PE Help and How-To