[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Need just one filter for all to solve my spam ** Help **

Need just one filter for all to solve my spam ** Help **

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Need just one filter for all to solve my spam ** Help **

Postby elmagox » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:19 pm

Help please. All I need is a filter that deletes all mails that are sent by people who are not in my address book, accepting emails sent by people only existing in my address book.

Thanks
Pedro Sanchez Jimenez
elmagox
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Need just one filter for all to solve my spam ** Help **

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:10 am

Hi Pedro & welcome to Poco Forums
elmagox wrote:Help please. All I need is a filter that deletes all mails that are sent by people who are not in my address book, accepting emails sent by people only existing in my address book.
You need to create a filter in the pre-download, so that it only accepts mail from known senders.
Choose All accounts | all characters | From: Known senders <%address books%> | Perform: delete
and check 'Match only if not found'

Be however careful using this, because it will delete all messages from people who don't exist in your address book(s).

Good luck. :wink:
Eric

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:14 am

What is especially dangerous with this setup is that if someone you know changes their email address they have no way of notifying you. (This happened to one of my friends recently when their ISP suddenly went out of business). You could run this filter as an incoming filter and move the messages to a Junk Mail mailbox and periodically check it.
Michael

Postby Nortnarg » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:32 am

I was about to ask the same question as elmagox.
I will try to get some advice here in this thread.
I also would like a filter to only recieve mail from those in my address book.
I do not want the filter to delete the mail.
I want to download mail from those recipients in my address book. If not in my adddress book I want those messages to stay on the server. I will manually delete those messages, or add to my address book as necessary.

I have played with filters and find them confusing. What I have seems to not work, as I think all messages are being downloaded regardless of my filters.

Can some one explain how, or if, I can create a filter to only download addressbook senders, and to leave all else on the server, and not download to my computer?

Many thanks in advance!!
Nortnarg
Nortnarg
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi Nortnarg & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
Nortnarg wrote:Can some one explain how, or if, I can create a filter to only download addressbook senders, and to leave all else on the server, and not download to my computer?
:idea: One incoming filter should do it, if I'm not wrong
Choose All accounts | all characters | From: Known senders <%address books%> | Perform: Leave on Server
and check 'Match only if not found'

This way you download all messages from the ones in your address book(s) and the rest stays on the server.

I hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby Nortnarg » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Eric. I have that filter in place now and will test it. The only other filter I have running is the standard Pocomail Junk filter. Assuming for now that won't interfere.
Nortnarg
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Nortnarg » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:55 pm

I do not understand this, but the above mentioned filter still allows all mail to download from the server. Both senders in and out of my address book.

I have run with junk on and off with the same result. The only other filter I have sends mail from an email list to its own folder and it is working well.

Any suggestions?
Nortnarg
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Hogyt » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:44 am

Try running Eric's filter as a Pre-Download filter and see if that works.
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Nortnarg » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:35 pm

Ok, Will do . . .

Report back later, and Thanks!
Nortnarg
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Nortnarg » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:43 am

Ah yes, This works now!
I am starting to understand the filters just a little better now.
Looks like I am gonna need to get the money out to pay for Poco mail now. Liking the program better all the time.

Thanks to all for your help here on the forums! :D 8)
Nortnarg
Drop-in Visitor

Postby FieldDir121 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:19 am

What I did for my wife and kids was to put e-mail from people in their address book into their mailbox and put everything else in the junk mailbox.

That gives them the chance to quickly scran the message in the junk mailbox to see if there are any they want. They can then empty the entire mailbox at one time.

In addition I have Bayesian filtering on and a very large list of addresses that are automatically deleted as spam.

Scott
FieldDir121
Resident Poster

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To