[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Multiple users doesn't work

Multiple users doesn't work

Help and advice on using PocoMail PE

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Multiple users doesn't work

Postby Brian S » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:07 pm

When I try to setup a new profile and then click to switch to that new user, PocoMail just dumps out to the desktop. Is this a bug?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Re: Multiple users doesn't work

Postby Kaigan » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:25 pm

Brian S wrote:When I try to setup a new profile and then click to switch to that new user, PocoMail just dumps out to the desktop. Is this a bug?

After adding the new user and then logging in with that user, Pocomail should shutdown and then restart under the new user or the setup screen for the new user if not already setup.
Which version of PE are you using?
I hate saying it, but I just tried it with the latest version (3.0.3.1780) that I have here and had no problems creating another user and changing over to them.

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Brian S » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:16 am

I'm using the exact same version. When I select another user and click the login button, PocoMail goes away, then it looks like it's going to reapper for a fraction of a second, then I'm dumped back to the desktop again. That's it; the program goes away.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:17 am

Which OS's are you guys using?

There was an issue with a beta of PocoMail (I know you are talking about PE - you are aren't you? - but this might be relevent) under XP which showed the same characteristics.
robin

Postby Brian S » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:32 am

I'm using XP here. I did do an import of my mail from OE if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:47 am

That *sounds* like the bug that I reported in one of the betas of PocoMail 3.1 (non-PE) because I was also seeing it on XP, other users on non-XP machines were not. It was fairly easily fixed by PSI. I suggest you file a bug report on BugTraction then it can get tracked and fixed. I don't see any workaround other than restarting it manually - an irritant I know.

I doubt that the OE import is related to this issue.

Sanity check - are you actually using PocoMail PE or just plain PocoMail?
robin

Postby Kaigan » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:11 am

robin wrote:Which OS's are you guys using?

I tried on Win 2k at work and XP Home here at home. Worked as it should both times.
I remember the thread about not being able to switch users but wasn't sure about the details.

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Brian S » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:14 am

The problem is, restarting manually loads it back up in the default profile, so I never get to my other profiles. I really would like to get this to work, since I'm really liking the idea of storing my mail on a thumbdrive and moving it between computers.

Off topic: Do you know of any spam filter program that have extensions for PocoMail PE (like Cloudmark's SpamNet)?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby Brian S » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:18 am

How do I submit a bug report?

I'll try completely restarting the computer in case something was funky on my computer or during the install. My computer doesn't usually shutdown - I usually just hibernate. So anything messed up in the system would be restored upon starting up the PC again.

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby Brian S » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:25 am

Restarting didn't help -- still dumps to the desktop when I try to switch users.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby Brian S » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:05 pm

Welp, I compressed all my mailboxes and suddenly I could switch users. Go figure. I do have a LOT of mail in the inbox and trash, so I guess something was choking along the way. Now I can try this program out...

Thanks,

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:01 pm

Glad we [you] got it sorted in the end! Compress mailboxes has been a panacea for a range of problems but I've not come across this one before :?
robin

Postby Brian S » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:20 am

Nope, it's back to not working. I switched users, tried importing mail for that user, and then the program stopped responding. After that, I couldn't switch users again. I've gone as far as deleting the users, compressing the mailboxes again, recreating the users, and still no success. It just dumps me to the desktop.

I'm trying really hard to use this program. But if it can't switch users, then it's not really useful to me. I've never had this many quirks with OE.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:34 am

I can't think of an answer to the immediate problem here (I don't use PE) but there may be a way around it. By adding a command line argument it is possible to tell PocoMail to start with a specific user loaded. For PocoMail it is
Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\PocoMail\Poco.exe" /user "name_of_user"
I don't know if PE will take this, but would a solution like this work for you? If so you could try it.

If you put as many of these on the desktop as you need then you could start them that way.

PocoMail also takes the argument "/forcestart". Normally PocoMail will not let another copy of itself run. This argument tells it to start another copy (so you now have two copies running which can be different users [you do need to ba careful if you have two copies for the *same* user!] )

<yell>
Any PE uses out there throw some light on Brian's problem?
</ yell>
robin

Postby Brian S » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:30 am

That brought a dialog box to select a user, but then the program didn't load after that. :?

Brian
Brian S
Poco Tourist

Next

Return to PocoMail PE Help and How-To