[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Filing email messages

Filing email messages

Scripting questions and ideas

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Filing email messages

Postby Grim_Deeds » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:33 am

Since several of my clients use Thunderbird as their email client, I also use it in order to stay familiar with any issues associated with its installation and use.

One of the extensions for Thunderbird that I've found to be very useful "Quick File" and I'm looking for an equivalent in PocoMail. This extension lets you assign a two-key shortcut that opens up a search window for quickly locating folders, regardless of their how deeply they're nested, and then filing email messages into the resulting folder. For someone like me with a significant number of folders, it's makes managing my in box a whole lot easier. Is anyone familiar with a script for doing something similar in PocoMail?

Jeff
Grim_Deeds
Poco Tourist

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:03 pm

How about doing it in a totally automatic fashion? Take a look at the SaveByBook script I wrote. It files messages according to entries in your address book (you associate a master mailbox with an address book and then each person in that book can have their own sub-mailbox within that mailbox). The script has options to control
  • the address book to use (create multple versions of the script for use with multiple address books)
  • incoming message mailbox
  • Outgoing message mailbox
  • Multiple recipient action
  • Action when no sub-mailbox exists
I use this script extensively, when I first wrote it I figured it allowed me to remove 50 plus filters.
Michael

Postby Grim_Deeds » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:25 am

Michael,

So each person or newsletter I want to file email messages to and from would require an entry in the master address book, correct? Also, does the script handle filing only new email or is there some way to go back and move previously received email.

IMHO, a view or folder containing all messages to and from each contact would be very useful.

Thanks,
Jeff
Grim_Deeds
Poco Tourist

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:28 am

Yes, each person would have to have an entry in an address book somewhere. It would also be best to have them only in one address book (although I do have duplicates myself, I manage this by not script enabling the address book where I know there are duplicates, it is created by an automatic process from a database I wrote for a club I belong to).

At the moment this script only runs in the following modes:
  • Incoming messages
  • Outgoing messages (pre-send)
  • Post-Send mode (after the message has been sent)
It would be possible to add Selected message mode handling to the script. The only issue I can think of in this regard is determining whether the message is one you received or sent. This is not a terribly difficult task.
Michael

Return to PocoScript Help and How-To