[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - setup IMAP mailbox

setup IMAP mailbox

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

setup IMAP mailbox

Postby sukelis » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:45 am

I have some accounts that have IMAP mailboxes that I'd like to be able to check via PocoMail instead of having to use a web client. I confess I am completely stumped about how to setup the IMAP account. I'm running v 3.1.0.1880.

There are a couple of posts in this forum regarding how to see sub-folders so I *think* that IMAP works with Poco, but this is my first attempt at using IMAP with any client, and the documentation for PocoMail is vague.

This is what I have tried:

Created a new account and specified the mail server, account & password (the same as for pop) and set the server type to IMAP. On the IMAP tab I have the IMAP mailbox as inbox, the root folder as blank and the authentication type as cram-md5. Note: I have also tried every case variation on the mailbox, every auth type, and several possible root folder variations.

I've also turned on "Show Accounts Online mailboxes". But I don't see anything for the IMAP account... just a banner "Details for..." On the other Online mailboxes there is a menu across the bottom, but the imap doesn't have it so I think it isn't right, but I'm not even sure if this is how I'm supposed to test the account.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

su
sukelis
Drop-in Visitor

Re: setup IMAP mailbox

Postby Kaigan » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:27 pm

sukelis wrote:I've also turned on "Show Accounts Online mailboxes". But I don't see anything for the IMAP account... just a banner "Details for..." On the other Online mailboxes there is a menu across the bottom, but the imap doesn't have it so I think it isn't right, but I'm not even sure if this is how I'm supposed to test the account.

That sounds like you are clicking on the account name in the Accounts Online window. With the "Details for..." window, on the status bar at the bottom, it would have read about reading and compressing different folders for that account. There should be a plus sign next to the account name in "Accounts Online". Click on this and a sub folder "Inbox" will appear. If your IMAP account has folders then they will appear under your "Inbox" folder. That is there should also be a plus sign next to the Inbox.
In account setup under root folder you should put "Inbox." without the quotes but with the period.

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby sukelis » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:07 pm

Kaigan wrote:There should be a plus sign next to the account name in "Accounts Online".

Should be, perhaps, but isn't. I did try modifying the root folder to have "Inbox." - no quotes, with period. No change. I still only see the Details page and no folder-with-plussign.

Meanwhile I did download Thunderbird and try the IMAP account with it, and I could see the mail so I know the account/server is ok. I suspect it has something to do with the subscribed folder funtionality, but since I barely know the phrase let alone what it really means, I'm not much better off for having the suspicion... :(

su
sukelis
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Kaigan » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:49 pm

sukelis wrote:Should be, perhaps, but isn't. I did try modifying the root folder to have "Inbox." - no quotes, with period. No change. I still only see the Details page and no folder-with-plussign.

You should open the progress window (F12) and look at the log to see if there are any errors when connecting to the account. PocoMail finds all the folders in the account and lists them unlike Thunderbird where you subscribe to the individual folders.

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby sukelis » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:21 pm

Kaigan wrote:PocoMail finds all the folders in the account and lists them unlike Thunderbird where you subscribe to the individual folders.

Does "finds all the folders" mean it can only connect in at the very top? Briefly, what I have here is a server with several domains, some domains have third-level domains, each domain has a number of users and all domains have a support account. I have to check the email for all of these support accounts, but ONLY for the support accounts. I have found that if I "move up" from the support account and connect at the absolute root for the domain, then the IMAP account works in Poco, but it reads the folders for every bloody account in the domain. Which makes it very slow, to say the least. I want to be able to access just that one account's mailbox, and access it online not downloaded. Which I can do via a web client and via Thunderbird, but not via Poco. Yet.

Well, I'm off-site tomorrow so I won't check back again until Sunday. Thanks for all your help.

su
sukelis
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To